DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you fly in this weather ?

Obstacles are one of the biggest hazards if the wind is gusty and unpredictable. In open ground and with intermittent gusts, flying into the wind would seem appropriate, also depending on the power of the drone.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Obstacles are one of the biggest hazards if the wind is gusty and unpredictable. In open ground and with intermittent gusts, flying into the wind would seem appropriate, also depending on the power of the drone.
I fly with the wind coming from behind the drone, subject in front of course. I also keep a good distance and use post-production software to zoom. The MA2 seems to handle 200% zoom in PrPro, no problem.

Although, flying toward the wind makes it much smoother and quieter.

...but I always, ALWAYS make sure to fly in to the wind for some distance FIRST. this way, I know when it's time to come home I can make it. If you look at the current TFR over KSC I fly in a similar shape when flying in the wind. (Sorta like a pie shape)

A few things to keep in mind:

Winds can be significantly higher at altitude that at the ground surface. Where does UAV Forecast report them?

Lots of PICs have lost their UAVs as a result of underestimating the affect of the wind.

Wind will increase the amount of current that UAV with GPS and position hold draws as it banks and increases throttle to correct for the drift caused by the wind, so you should expect and plan for less flight time from your batteries.

As someone else mentioned, flying up wind and returning with the wind is safer since the moving air mass increases ground speed which brings the UAV home faster.

In high winds, the battery will heat up more putting added stress on the battery and maybe reducing its useful life. A too hot battery has different discharge characteristics than a battery operating within its normal range so you may get less flight time.

Bottom line, flying in high winds has more risk, so the purpose/need of your flight should justify the risk. If you just feel a need to fly, use a cheaper UAV, fly indoors, or use a simulator. All can help to maintain your skills,

b0d65700dbe735b7131b216d7253fe2d.jpg

I tend not to fly when gust exceeds the capacity of the Mavic air 2.
WOW!, even with my Big Phantom 4, and P4 V2, I wouldn't fly in that type of weather, I also have the MP2, MA, MA2, and MM, this is the same app I use as well to determine the wind speed, and direction, I'll fly the Phantoms in 10 MPH Winds over land, and even then its at a lower altitude, no more than 100 felt, and ideal at 60 - 75ft, and within VLOS,. Of course, with wind speed around 5mph, it's wide open flying over land and water with any of the drones, with a tendency to skip VLOS when flying over the bay, provided their aren't a lot of birds in the area, or manned crafts that can be spotted, although I normally fly around 60ft over the water, I really don't expect to see manned crafts flying that low to begin with

Screenshot_20200606-221807_Storm Radar.jpg

Just popped up to catch a Hyperlapse while hunkering down at a buddy's house.

It's now apocalyptical here.

Working in that footage. I'll post it later, but the raw footage is amazing by itself.

I tend not to fly when gust exceeds the capacity of the Mavic air 2.
I fly my M2P in similar conditions without problems. If I didn't, I would not get to fly very often.

I saw a show recently where they interview people who have survived things that turned bad. One of the people interviewed was flying a paraglider (big fan strapped to his back with a parachute) and the wind was calm at ground level and at 3000 feet or so. That's the only altitudes he checked the wind conditions for prior to flight. The problem was there were very strong gusts at around 1000 feet. A gust blew his parachute closed and he plummeted to the ground. The video was pretty scary.

Until then, I had not thought of checking the wind conditions at various altitudes, not just ground and maximum altitude. There could be a big difference between the two.

Last edited:
I fly my M2P in similar conditions without problems. If I didn't, I would get to fly very often.

I saw a show recently where they interview people who have survived things that turned bad. One of the people interviewed was flying a paraglider (big fan strapped to his back with a parachute) and the wind was calm at ground level and at 3000 feet or so. That's the only altitudes he checked the wind conditions for prior to flight. The problem was there were very strong gusts at around 1000 feet. A gust blew his parachute closed and he plummeted to the ground. The video was pretty scary.

Until then, I had not thought of checking the wind conditions at various altitudes, not just ground and maximum altitude. There could be a big difference between the two.

Sometimes you fly the paraglide, and sometimes it flies you, I think the The Dude said that in the Big Lebowski.

Reactions: tdowler
I would fly in it but probably not over water. I know it isn't much difference but i have a fear of taking a dip into a body of water in bad conditions when i cant swim out to get the drone for DJI care refresh lol.

also, my wet suit is in the way.. i want this weather near me in texas!

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa