DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you fly in this weather ?

aokusman

Reactions
b0d65700dbe735b7131b216d7253fe2d.jpg

I tend not to fly when gust exceeds the capacity of the Mavic air 2.

b0d65700dbe735b7131b216d7253fe2d.jpg

I tend not to fly when gust exceeds the capacity of the Mavic air 2.
Depends on the craft of course. That looks just like yesterday's weather here and I was thinking about going out but decided to wait for another day. I likely would not take out a Mavic Air with those gusts. Being very careful and heading upwind first, I would attempt it with my P4P if I had to. No problems at all with the I2 though. It would cut right through that wind with no issues.

Reactions: Order66 and Bill_H
I would, depending on the shot I was trying to get. Probably not great for timelapse/hyperlapse. But the MA2 can do 42mph in sport so I wouldn't worry about a Mini-style blow away incident. If I was getting sway or shake I'd try flying at lower altitude. Definitely wouldn't fly down wind offshore in those conditions though.

Reactions: Dbez1 and dawgpilot
It depends on the drone. The lighter the drone, the harder it has to work to counter gusts. I might fly with my Mavic 2. The wind speed app I tend to use mostly is trees. The UAV forcast can tell you what the wind speeds are at the point they were measured, but the conditions where you are actually flying may well be different.

I tend to look at the trees around me and see if there is much movement. If there is I wouldn't take off. If there is some wind I'd send the drone up vertically and let it hover at various altitudes to see if I get any warnings before I start flying.

I was just flying in 30+ gusts with no high wind warning... Does this drone even have one of those?

It may have gotten to 40+ a few times.

I did however keep it below 100 feet and it wasn't nearly as windy at that level.

(SE Volusia County, NSB, FL around 8pm)

I don't always completely trust UAV Forecast app, it's a general guide tool but for me I check tree movement as well.
The other day it said gusts up to 30mph at 200ft, but ground level was only 6mph. I fly up to 200ft or so and felt zero fighting from the drone in the "wind".
You just need to get used to wind speed and what your drone can and can't do over time, then one you're experienced "feeling it out", you'll know when you can and can't fly it.

Reactions: rcmatmat
I got a little anxious for the first time last night. The 90 foot tall pines nearby were swaying by upwards of 20°.

The drone itself never once gave a high wind warning though.

It was acting VERY crazy fighting the wind, but I never noticed any shake in the Gimbal

A few weeks back, the place I was flying had around 35mph winds, the trees were swaying pretty good all around. I had it over a cleared field just in case. I did get one wind warning when the wind was blowing across the drone but I turned it into the wind direction and it went away. The MA2 handles wind pretty well I would say, the video of the trees around the edge of the field was pretty crazy with the dancing that was going on but the drone itself stayed rock solid.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys