DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Would you fly your drone in this wind?

db4476

Reactions
So a few hours before this video I flew my drones at the coast, but within 2hrs the winds picked up so much I stopped after the wind blew my sunglasses off into the surf. My wind meter displayed 43mph avg with gusts over 60mph.

The Oregon Coast

My drones (any everyone else's) would just blow away with the wind. No one would be able to 'fly' in those conditions.

So a few hours before this video I flew my drones at the coast, but within 2hrs the winds picked up so much I stopped after the wind blew my sunglasses off into the surf. My wind meter displayed 43mph avg with gusts over 60mph.

The Oregon Coast
Did you have an a hot on it? You’ve now tested the envelope. Curious, I’m assuming the 2 empty beach chairs were for the two people who blew away? Glad that wind didn’t gust you into waves. On the other hand … ya did it. 🤷🏻 Godspeed, Droniac

Having seen my drones caught in gusts and rocket down wind despite their best efforts, no. It's kind thrilling and scary to watch a Phantom 3 flying flat out at eye level making maybe 1 or 2 ft/s against a head wind.

My drones (any everyone else's) would just blow away with the wind. No one would be able to 'fly' in those conditions.

No one? It just depends on the weight of the aircraft, available power to overcome the wind, parameters of the flight controller, and the skills of the pilot/operator. I would bet you $$ there are several who have battled winds like that (and more) with great success using the right equipment and the right skill set. Granted there are MANY who have battled winds much less and lost but that's also equipment/skills issues.

No one? It just depends on the weight of the aircraft, available power to overcome the wind, parameters of the flight controller, and the skills of the pilot/operator. I would bet you $$ there are several who have battled winds like that (and more) with great success using the right equipment and the right skill set. Granted there are MANY who have battled winds much less and lost but that's also equipment/skills issues.
I Agree. There was a group that did a test a few years back with a Yuneec Typhoon 520, a DJI Phantom 4 and an Inspire 1. Winds were above 35 with gusts to 50. Not as much as the OP showed but close enough to get an idea what it might look like. Some may find the results interesting.

I don't think this video was done with a drone...I heard background noise...that you would not get with a drone video....I think this was taken after the wind did him in already

Yes, the OP did say that, and for sure not many would be able to cope, nor would it make terribly good video.
Apart from an example of flying in some pretty wild wind for testing.

Interesting how good the Yuneec did in the video test above.
Would have been good to have a M1P / M2 aircraft in that mix.

Prepping for a flight I watched one of my drones hover in a steady breeze that didn't seem that strong, when all of a sudden it started losing a few feet per gust - not fun watching it drift downwind - the first lull between gusts I landed the thing in the sand (better than a fly-away).

I Agree. There was a group that did a test a few years back with a Yuneec Typhoon 520, a DJI Phantom 4 and an Inspire 1. Winds were above 35 with gusts to 50. Not as much as the OP showed but close enough to get an idea what it might look like. Some may find the results interesting.

Excellent share @Ty Pilot. My inspire was a total bucking bronco in heavy winds and this confirmed it. My H520 does GREAT unless I have a payload and then it's NO GO!

The hardest part is just getting the drone up in the Air without crashing, the rest is head wind negotiations and landing with a break wall so yeah get me out there. Of course I will be flying from inside my car.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. , Capture the storm.

I don't think this video was done with a drone...I heard background noise...that you would not get with a drone video....I think this was taken after the wind did him in already
Interesting.

It just depends on the weight of the aircraft, available power to overcome the wind, parameters of the flight controller, and the skills of the pilot/operator.
Contrary to popular belief, the weight of the drone is not a factor.
The speed of the drone is what's important.
A drone that can punch through still air at 50 mph, could make (slow) progress against a 49 mph headwind regardless of its weight.

That's interesting, but it's only demonstrating ability to hold position (or not) while hovering.
That's different from ability to be flown in wind.

Drone speed is directly related to the tilt angle and the Phantom and Inspire have different tilt angles for P-GPS and Sport modes.
Available specs for the Inspire don't show what the top speed in P-GPS is.
Neither of those drones would be able to use Sport Mode tilt angle or speed if left hovering in P-GPS.
(Some recent Mavic models can use greater tilt angles in strong wind situations.)
If the Phantom's obstacle avoidance sensors were enabled, its tilt angle and speed is further reduced.

It's hard to get much information on the Yuneec to know if it can use its max tilt angle in any flight mode, but the max speed in the specs I looked at, is not much different from the Phantom in P-GPS mode.
H520 = 17 m/s .. Phantom = 16 m/s in P-GPS with OA disabled.

Reactions: Droniac
drones themselves, the shape of them that is,are not particularly aerodynamic ,and the poor old props ,not only have to keep the drone in the air ,but they also have to provide propulsion for whatever direction the drone is flying
so its no wonder that any sort of decent wind is going to cause issues ,gusts can be more problematic than a constant wind ,plus wind will often change direction depending on elevation ,and the topography being flown over

You are correct! The video was made about 2 hrs later. I bagged it on flying when the wind gauge on the tripod gave the warning of consistent +40mph winds. The video was shot beside a building to get out of the wind but even then the tripod blew over twice.

Cheers!

Contrary to popular belief, the weight of the drone is not a factor.
The speed of the drone is what's important.
A drone that can punch through still air at 50 mph, could make (slow) progress against a 49 mph headwind regardless of its weight.

Surely area presented to the wind will make a difference to how much a drone is affected.
Though not sure why the Yuneec H520 did so well vs the P4 and Inspire, as . . .

Top speed from manufacturer specs.

H520 45mph
Inspire 49mph
P4 45mph

Can't be just speed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member