DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

yellow color cast

615Images

Reactions
I have noticed for quite a while now that green grass always tends to have a slight yellow cast in pictures and videos. I can typically get most of it out in post processing, but wondered if there was a setting that would reduce or eliminate it to start with? Mostly shooting real estate and the agents want the grass green, not yellow-green. I typically shoot video in 4K FOV, D-cinelike with Polar Pro filters as needed. Still shots are shot in RAW. I typically use Sunny or Cloudy settings as needed. My wife processes the photos in Lightroom and I do all the video Davinci Resolve 15. Thanks for any tips to make post processing quicker with better results!

I can typically get most of it out in post processing, but wondered if there was a setting that would reduce or eliminate it to start with?
When things look too blue or too yellow, that's an indication that your white balance setting isn't right.
Like these thumbnails from when my auto WB went crazy
i-gNkHxsf-L.png

Reactions: Thomas B
Like Meta4 said, it's your White Balance setting. Which Drone are you using?
On my Mavic Air 2, White Balance can be set manually, but Auto WB does a good job. There is no setting for Custom White Balance.

To use Custom White Balance on a professional camera, you would shoot an 18% Grey Card. The camera would use that photo to create a custom white balance and you would use that for all photos taken in that lighting.
Move to a new location and create a new custom white balance. The same is true with video cameras.

To create a Custom White Balance in Lightroom, you can use
X-Rite ColorChecker Passport Photo 2. XRite is the world leader in color. Using the Drone, you would shoot the included color chart at each location. In post, use the Lightroom Pug-in to create a Custom White Balance and ICC Profile. Apply that to all the photos taken in that lighting. All the photos will be instantly color corrected.

For Video, XRite makes ColorChecker Passport Video.

ColorChecker Video Passport is supported by the following third-party software for improved color grading efficiencies: DaVinci Resolve, Color Finale (Final Cut Pro Plug-In), 3D LUT Creator.

The International Color Consortium, ICC, sets the world standards for color. The XRite ColorChecker Passports create custom ICC Profiles that can be applied in post. XRite also sells products to Profile your monitor and printer. When an ICC Profile is created for the camera, monitor and printer, everything matches. ICC Profiles are used to calibrate cameras, printers, TVs, industrial textile machines, operating room cameras, video cameras, computer screens, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
Sorry, forgot to say I'm shooting with Mavic 2 Pro. Thanks for the input on white balance being incorrect. My wife uses the Gray Cards with her Nikon so I'm familiar with it, and I may have to test that. Not sure how well it will work with the changing angles relative to the sun. I"ll play around with the White Balance settings and see if something other than Sunny or Cloudy works better. If not, I guess I'll just have to work with it as I have been.

Try auto WB, You can also shoot a Grey card several times from different orientations to use in Lightroom.

I have noticed for quite a while now that green grass always tends to have a slight yellow cast in pictures and videos. I can typically get most of it out in post processing, but wondered if there was a setting that would reduce or eliminate it to start with? Mostly shooting real estate and the agents want the grass green, not yellow-green. I typically shoot video in 4K FOV, D-cinelike with Polar Pro filters as needed. Still shots are shot in RAW. I typically use Sunny or Cloudy settings as needed. My wife processes the photos in Lightroom and I do all the video Davinci Resolve 15. Thanks for any tips to make post processing quicker with better results!

Can you try setting the WB in Kelvin rather than generic sunny/cloudy? A yellow bias tells me that you need more blue. One might assume that sunny would be 5500°K, but maybe you need 6500°K or cooler? That would be the first thing to try. If that doesn't work, perhaps create a custom color profile in LR and create your own LUT with the established corrections in Davinci. Is there a reason you haven't upgraded to Davinci 16?

I haven't seen Kelvin settings, but I'll look into that as an option. I did upgrade to 16 and lost access to previous projects so I went back to 15. I haven't spent time trying to figure out how to open 15 projects in 16 yet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crumple