DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yellowstone investigates drone photo of Grand Prismatic

The guy knew exactly what he was doing and the rules don't apply to him to follow. Break the law, get the picture for some instagram fame. Then when his hand was caught in the cookie jar proving he was guilty claimed ignorance. Honestly officer there were no signs posted I couldn't drive 150 mph through the park.... After being to Yellowstone last summer during "tourist" season and seeing how many people completely ignore the rules and do what ever the heck they want, the park service has more then enough on their hands. Heck a couple of years ago, talking to one of the park rangers. Said a woman decided a young Bison looked cold and needed to be rescued. They loaded it in their car and brought it to the ranger station... They ended up putting the Bison down after that.

Reactions: frank candor
Too much overgeneralised restriction leads to frustration and defiance. A recent report by Goldman Sachs on the great future for drones refers to how over regulation of airspace is inhibiting development in agricultural and other industrial uses for drones in the US.

Too much overgeneralised restriction leads to frustration and defiance. A recent report by Goldman Sachs on the great future for drones refers to how over regulation of airspace is inhibiting development in agricultural and other industrial uses for drones in the US.
Yes, but unregulated drones will end up killing everyone on the planet but not before stealing all of your secrets and removing all of your privacy.

I think these bans are to serve one major purpose above all of the others that are mentioned in this thread. If the NPS bans drones, bans photos in certain areas, and does things like restrict tripod and long lenses, it is so that when a tourist wants a photo of something, they must go to the gift shop and spend an outrageous sum on a guide book or pack of post cards.

I think these bans are to serve one major purpose above all of the others that are mentioned in this thread. If the NPS bans drones, bans photos in certain areas, and does things like restrict tripod and long lenses, it is so that when a tourist wants a photo of something, they must go to the gift shop and spend an outrageous sum on a guide book or pack of post cards.

I don't know of any ban on long lenses, photos on certain areas or tripods (non-commercial trips). So you can feel free to take you own pictures and not buy any swag.

Reactions: AMann
OR, To actually force people to GO to the park and see for themselves. :D
All I know, is if I and my family are looking at any natural or man made treasure in a National park, the LAST thing I want to see and hear is some clown flying a drone around trying to get that perfect shot to take home and store in a box, one that has been taken at least 100 times before, and is available in the gift shop. :D

Reactions: kdh77 and tcope
OR, To actually force people to GO to the park and see for themselves. :D
All I know, is if I and my family are looking at any natural or man made treasure in a National park, the LAST thing I want to see and hear is some clown flying a drone around trying to get that perfect shot to take home and store in a box, one that has been taken at least 100 times before, and is available in the gift shop. :D
Finally, something you and I agree on!

Reactions: ac0j

And hampering emergency services.

Along with all the other - being a professional photographer WITH A DRONE - you'd think he would also be FAA Part 107?
Being a professional photographer means he should know his limitations (drone or not). You don't need to be FAA Part 107. You just need common sense.

Drones need positive support. On the issue of emergency services - sometimes its the drones that provide the service .In Australia they are used for shark patrols on beaches and dropping inflatable devices to swimmers in distress. All these things come out of the drone revolution. Sure respect in national parks is important but certain areas can be assigned to drones away from the crowds .

I agree maybe a drone hour or day or some time set aside so drone photographers and hobbyist can get some pictures of our nat parks banning us completely is discrimination. Were no different then anyone else with a camera just our camera flys.

I wouldn't want to be Timothy McGurr:

Y’stone investigates drone photo of Grand Prismatic

A New York photographer is under fire after sharing an aerial image of Yellowstone National Park’s Grand Prismatic Spring on his Instagram page, where he has 717,000 followers.
Photographer Timothy McGurr, who’s better known by the online persona 13thWitness, told followers that he didn’t know drones were illegal in national parks.

“Unless I see specific signage or am told I can’t fly you better believe I will or I’ll certainly try to,” McGurr replied on Instagram to a critic. “I removed the post, something I’ve never done in my life.”

The photo, posted Nov. 6, included a long caption about the hours leading up to its capture and is now the subject of a federal investigation.

Timothy McGurr, a New York photographer known as 13thwitness, posted this aerial photo of Grand Prismatic Spring to his more than 700,000 Instagram followers. He removed it after public condemnation. Below the photo he shared an account of finding his way out of the park when returning to a locked entrance at West Yellowstone. Drones were banned from most national parks in 2014.

“I landed at the Billings, Montana, airport around midnight,” McGurr wrote in the now-deleted post. “I opted to drive straight to Yellowstone National Park through the night for four hours to catch PRISMATIC at sunrise.”
In the caption McGurr told followers he arrived at the West Entrance at 6:45 a.m. and “somehow managed to drive right into the park despite the seasonal winter closure” that he said he didn’t know about.

“Once inside I essentially had the entire YNP to myself,” McGurr said. “When exiting the park from the same entrance I entered I was greeted with a padlock and essentially locked in. I eventually found a way out.”
After receiving online criticism for ignoring National Park Service rules, McGurr removed the photo.

“I’ve never had to remove a post over some bulls--t before,” McGurr wrote. “I’m one part livid, two parts amazed by the hate people can project towards me for putting up a photo I basically traveled 24 hours straight for and that I’d been wanting to get for a few weeks.”
Drones were banned from national parks in 2014, according to the National Park Service.

“Drones are not allowed in the park,” a Yellowstone spokesperson told the News&Guide in a brief email. “We are aware of this, and rangers are looking into it.”
Other aerial photos of Grand Prismatic have been taken from airplanes, but critics of McGurr said he admitted to using a drone when he told his over 700,000 followers that he had the park to himself.

“Ignorance of the law is not a defense,” said Deby Dixon, a Gardiner, Montana, resident and wildlife photographer.

Dixon said she is in the park photographing almost daily, and she has noticed laws being ignored more often lately with the rise of visual-driven social media.

“There are really good people who love the park and come here and try to do the right thing, and they’re getting trampled by people who think they can do whatever they want,” Dixon said. “It ruins it for everyone else.”
The Park Service cites a variety of reasons for banning drones.

“Their use has resulted in noise and nuisance complaints from park visitors,” the Park Service states on its website.

Before the ban, park officials said drones were harassing wildlife, and some small drones even crashed into geysers in Yellowstone.
In 2014 Dutch tourist Theodorus Van Vliet crashed his drone into Grand Prismatic and was fined more than $3,000.

Drones have been lost in the Grand Canyon and have attempted to land on Mount Rushmore, the Park Service reports.

“Due to serious concerns about the negative impact that flying unmanned aircraft can have for safety of visitors, staff and wildlife, they have been restricted in all but a few parks,” the Park Service said.
Violation of the ban is a misdemeanor with a maximum penalty of six months in jail and a $5,000 fine.

“NPS just wants money,” McGurr told a follower. “If I would have offered them 5K to fly for a photo, they would have certainly found a way to make it happen for me.”

McGurr said he’s responsible when flying and doesn’t believe what he did was wrong.

“I assume any and all risk/responsibility for my actions when trying to get photos should anything unfortunate happen as a result of it,” he wrote. “That’s what real photographers do.
“I’ve made foolish decisions, and this probably wasn’t one I’m particularly proud of but it happened and it’s over,” he wrote. “Lesson learned.”

Yellowstone officials did not provide any additional information about the investigation.
In cases like this you simply state you strapped the drone to the landing gear of a piper cub . Post away.in the clouds .png perfectly legal that way .

Reactions: Slim.slamma
In cases like this you simply state you strapped the drone to the landing gear of a piper cub . Post away.View attachment 53990 perfectly legal that way .

FCC guy: “Uh, sir, were you planning to fly that before getting an airworthiness certificate for that small modification to your aircraft? Otherwise, it’s not legal to strap things to the outside of your plane without that certificate. “

(We found this out when trying to strap a wildlife telemetry antenna to the strut of a rented Cessna..)

Thats just silly, they aren’t going to ban hand-based photography, unless photographers start throwing their cameras up into the air and over the edge in places like Grand Canyon so they litter the canyon walls and bottom below, they start falling on people, ot they start tossing cameras into Old Faithful and Grand Prismatic Springs like some drone pilots have already started doing... then yes, NPS should ban all cameras if that happens.

Last edited:
I agree maybe a drone hour or day or some time set aside so drone photographers and hobbyist can get some pictures of our nat parks banning us completely is discrimination. Were no different then anyone else with a camera just our camera flys.

Its not discriminatory, unlike what happens with drones, my camera just lands at my feet when the strap breaks and I can pick it up and take the pieces home without littering, bothering wildlife or anyone else, nor hurting anyone except myself after saying ow, my toe hurts (True story).

FCC guy: “Uh, sir, were you planning to fly that before getting an airworthiness certificate for that small modification to your aircraft? Otherwise, it’s not legal to strap things to the outside of your plane without that certificate. “

(We found this out when trying to strap a wildlife telemetry antenna to the strut of a rented Cessna..)
Sir you are incorrect . I have a banner towing operation for advertising . I can strap anything that I want on my piper cub .Also you can attach a camera to any aircraft . I strapped it to the inside of the landing gear anyway . I dont want to scratch my lens.

All these issues came about when the flying camera became available too many people thought it fun to spy on back yard sunbathers and post on you tube . I myself take the best pictures that i can of my neighborhood and the area and print pictures and give them to people . that is the best thing we can do to educate and comfort people about our hobby . Dont be cheap . take your time and take great pics print them and give them away . Trust me everybody will love you .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis