DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yes, I sadly lost my mavic. Any ideas?

I use Litchi all the time but don't ever continue a mission if my gut tells me to RTH or if things on screens and the bird don't jive. I also put a super bright rechargeable beacon light on all of my drones that will flash well after sun goes down and drone battery dies. 29.99 on amazon.

Ok
Pilot error looks more likely to me now (which in a way is relieving).
I have reexamined events.
I cant export the map but here is a screen shot and her is a photo of the route.
I think that tree looks pretty tall. 40m may have not been enough. That would match with the 150m distance I saw on the controller. It may have not budged cos it was already down, or obstacle sensors were simply making it hover (although it was possibly going sideways at this point). The fact it was saying 'landing' may suggest it was up high more, either stuck in a tree, or hovering.
Now is it worth looking for it? Its on an island called "brentford ait". I looked today with binoculars but no joy.
I'd have to hire a boat, not even sure if that's possible. somehow get onto the island (there are many house boats in the area) and then still probably not find it.
Anyone been on a similar adventure?
Also has been raining. Could be money, nerves, time spent on a hopeless task.

Last edited:
I'd definitely go hunting - what a fun adventure! And if you find it, which does seem unlikely, it'll be a triumph.

Ok
Pilot error looks more likely to me now (which in a way is relieving).
I have reexamined events.
I cant export the map but here is a screen shot and her is a photo of the route.
I think that tree looks pretty tall. 40m may have not been enough. That would match with the 150m distance I saw on the controller. It may have not budged cos it was already down, or obstacle sensors were simply making it hover (although it was possibly going sideways at this point). The fact it was saying 'landing' may suggest it was up high more, either stuck in a tree, or hovering.
Now is it worth looking for it? Its on an island called "brentford ait". I looked today with binoculars but no joy.
I'd have to hire a boat, not even sure if that's possible. somehow get onto the island (there are many house boats in the area) and then still probably not find it.
Anyone been on a similar adventure?
Also has been raining. Could be money, nerves, time spent on a hopeless task.

i have looked down your photos, it could be easy for you too search the last position of your drone.

there are two possibility :
1. there were many birds around the flight area, they might think your drone was intruder and attack it.
2. hit the trees, well in my whole life, i never flight mission with 40 meter always above 100m - 150m , in sometime above 200m-500m if the area is hilly

Sadly i have lost my 1st Mavic as well... Flying Haystack rock , cannon Beach Oregon Coast.. Sunset, beautifull colors, perfect light. . Failed to remember that there was a 3rd little island in my path and clipped the back edge flying sideways into it.. have a great video. And drone is probably stuck in the rocks/water at the foot of it.. but i had no way to go retreive.. so there it lies

Get another mavic to look for it? Fly manually and don’t use litchi waypoint ;). A mavic can lift more than its own weight, so...
When you have bad connection, you never know if you’ve successfully loaded the full mission. Hitting go would be rather risky.

I flew using the DJI GO4 app and kept getting video transmission disconnects with a Return to Home cue. I just updated to the latest version of the app and will have to test it for those disconnects.

Ok
Well it has turned up.
Someone found it and have contacted me.
It appears that it has been in the river for a couple of days.
This means its a dead duck right? Is it worth me going to pick it up?

Ok
Well it has turned up.
Someone found it and have contacted me.
It appears that it has been in the river for a couple of days.
This means its a dead duck right? Is it worth me going to pick it up?
Yes, definitely go and get it. And buy the person who found it and contacted you a pint. If it wasn't physically damaged (broken) in the incident then it may well be usable again, after drying it out. They are surprisingly tolerant of getting wet. I recently watched a video where a guy in Florida flew his MP for over ten minutes during a hurricane. It flew the entire time in rain and wind (not something I'd do) and on return the wind blew it into some bushes. He retrieved it and after thoroughly drying it out, it flew again. I don't know if there were problems that showed up weeks or months later, but I was surprised that it flew for that long in a drenching rain.

Ok
Retrieved. A real gentleman met me. He was walking his dog and was on the river at super low tide and found it in the middle of the river. I gave him a 20 for a pint. hope that was ok.
It looks very sad.
Probably too late for any first aid. Ill leave it to dry for a couple of weeks.
Anything I should/shouldn't do.
Memory card works but the second vid doesn't open as it obviously got interrupted in its writing to the card.
Any way to fix that?
First vid looks ok, although it seems to be flying a lot slower than I am used to seeing it go.
Any advice much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20180506_184538.jpg
    20180506_184538.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 98
Reactions: Wedgie7
depending on what fried first might be a chance, at least it wasnt salt water

Ok
Retrieved. A real gentleman met me. He was walking his dog and was on the river at super low tide and found it in the middle of the river. I gave him a 20 for a pint. hope that was ok.
It looks very sad.
Memory card works but the second vid doesn't open as it obviously got interrupted in its writing to the card.
Any way to fix that?
First vid looks ok, although it seems to be flying a lot slower than I am used to seeing it go.

i am happy to hear that in my country it is hard to get back any electronic device that found by someone random, because they need money and they know that it can be sold.

well it better bring your device to rice basket in order to absorb the water quickly. get off the batteray also.

Definitely remove battery. Maybe send it to someone like @Thunderdrones to have a look. Being in the mud, it might have more than water in there. So I think it needs to be opened up to be checked and cleaned.
Check if the battery is bloated or anything. Might have to dispose properly. I guess you could wait for it to dry, and see if the led still turns on. But do that outside just in case.

Reactions: Former Member
Ok
It looks very sad.
Any way to fix that?

There is a djifile fix
Repairing Corrupt DJI Video Files

You can have both APPS on the device. Just be sure to close GO4 before opening Litchi. And vise versa. Can't have both open at the same time. I just make sure I close all open apps before flying.

Having both APPS on the same device may still cause an error. The whole problem arises (especially on android devices) because the USB device driver connecting to the controller can be used by both apps, DJI GO 4 and Litchi. The app which grasps it randomly may be successfull provoking a disconnect for the other app.
If you want to be sure that no other app interferes for the USB connection, you have to STOP the other app and not just "close" it (put in the background). To really stop a DJI GO4 and prevent it from interfering with Lichi, you have to go in the Android "settings" section, go to "Apps" and choose "DJI GO 4". Here, force STOP. Additionally, choose for "set as standard" "clean standard values" so it does not stick to the USB device driver any more.

Then, and only then, the DJI GO 4 app will not interfere with Litchi.

Having both APPS on the same device may still cause an error. The whole problem arises (especially on android devices) because the USB device driver connecting to the controller can be used by both apps, DJI GO 4 and Litchi. The app which grasps it randomly may be successfull provoking a disconnect for the other app.
If you want to be sure that no other app interferes for the USB connection, you have to STOP the other app and not just "close" it (put in the background). To really stop a DJI GO4 and prevent it from interfering with Lichi, you have to go in the Android "settings" section, go to "Apps" and choose "DJI GO 4". Here, force STOP. Additionally, choose for "set as standard" "clean standard values" so it does not stick to the USB device driver any more.

Then, and only then, the DJI GO 4 app will not interfere with Litchi.

Agreed

okay i read it carefully, you did big mistake, when the litchi lost signal, do not do anything let it go with the last current mission, do not set it back home, or cancel the mission, otherwise it will lost control.

I tend to agree. In fact, I purposely tested my older drone (P3) using a Litchi mission to see precisely what a loss of signal would do. Litchi *WILL* complete the mission even with complete loss of signal (video dropped out first, then complete RC signal loss)...and then it will reestablish contact as it comes back into range. Yes, it's scary that the drone it out there without ground-based control, but DO NOT touch anything on the remote during signal loss, since this could screw it up when it reestablishes contact. And yes, I screen captured the whole event to prove it. :)

I tend to agree. In fact, I purposely tested my older drone (P3) using a Litchi mission to see precisely what a loss of signal would do. Litchi *WILL* complete the mission even with complete loss of signal (video dropped out first, then complete RC signal loss)...and then it will reestablish contact as it comes back into range. Yes, it's scary that the drone it out there without ground-based control, but DO NOT touch anything on the remote during signal loss, since this could screw it up when it reestablishes contact. And yes, I screen captured the whole event to prove it. :)
Yes. I do (did) this all the time

Reactions: faceman
Maybe this is a hardware problem rather than a software problem, could be as simple as a broken connection in the drone or the controller. Just a thought, it might be worth sending the drone and controller to DJI for and evaluation and maybe a small product defect could answer your questions and get you a free replacement. Apologies if a missed someone else mentioning this.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard