DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

YES OR NO - DJI CrystalSky 7.85" High-Brightness Monitor

jmorse62

Reactions
I am currently flying using my Samsung S7. I am considering a DJI CrystalSky 7.85 High Brightness monitor but have a few reservations;
1. Can I use the CrystalSky for anything else (like a tablet)?
2. Anything better like an IPad?
3. Best place to get one?
4. What else do I need to buy ( mount, cables, cards, batteries)

Thanks

Some thoughts based on your questions.

The High Bright is good for 1000 nits in brightness, so it's about 2x the brightness outdoors of a iPad pro. The screen has a good bit of mirror/refections issues but all the glossy screens do, not just CS.

Ipad is good tool, has more screen area, but can't handle outdoor light without a hood.

CS comes without a charger, so you will need to pick up a charger for Phantom or Inspire drones.

There are a lot of different mount options, I use both the Mav mount for the CS and the Polar Pro mount. I prefer the Polar pro mount, as it's quicker to setup and will break down for carry.

Using the CS for other apps, etc. not as easy. I believe you can now add Litchi and it might be possible to add other apps, but the Android OS is unique to the CS, and thus not like adding things to a normal Android phone.

Only has HDMI out, so can't be used as a viewing device using HDMI.

Overall, excellent monitor both in design and size/weight and battery life. You can view it in bright outdoor light without a hood, and I have not had any over heating issues (seems to happen more with the Ultra brights). The djigo4 app on the CS is not the same as the normal Android app, and tends to be a bit behind the regular djigo4 app. (DJI just released a new firmware for the CS BTW).

I have only had a few pixelation issues on video when using the CS on Mavic, mainly on a pan. But no locks up either video or app. Can't say the same on P4, as CS (at least mine) is very unstable with the Phantom.

Paul Caldwell

I have the bigger ultra, bought it in December 2017. I’d return it if I could.
Just out today in 70 degree weather today and once again screen does the all crossed up thing. Like cutting the screen up in 2” paths up and down mixing it up and barely able to see where I’m at. I’d hate to be somewhere in a tight area when this happens. Never had this problem with my iPad Air. Got the ultra because of the bright screen and I will say that’s good. Not having the big awkward anymore is wonderful but on a cloudy day I’d take my iPad for reliability.

Some thoughts based on your questions.

The High Bright is good for 1000 nits in brightness, so it's about 2x the brightness outdoors of a iPad pro. The screen has a good bit of mirror/refections issues but all the glossy screens do, not just CS.

Ipad is good tool, has more screen area, but can't handle outdoor light without a hood.

CS comes without a charger, so you will need to pick up a charger for Phantom or Inspire drones.

There are a lot of different mount options, I use both the Mav mount for the CS and the Polar Pro mount. I prefer the Polar pro mount, as it's quicker to setup and will break down for carry.

Using the CS for other apps, etc. not as easy. I believe you can now add Litchi and it might be possible to add other apps, but the Android OS is unique to the CS, and thus not like adding things to a normal Android phone.

Only has HDMI out, so can't be used as a viewing device using HDMI.

Overall, excellent monitor both in design and size/weight and battery life. You can view it in bright outdoor light without a hood, and I have not had any over heating issues (seems to happen more with the Ultra brights). The djigo4 app on the CS is not the same as the normal Android app, and tends to be a bit behind the regular djigo4 app. (DJI just released a new firmware for the CS BTW).

I have only had a few pixelation issues on video when using the CS on Mavic, mainly on a pan. But no locks up either video or app. Can't say the same on P4, as CS (at least mine) is very unstable with the Phantom.

Paul Caldwell

Paul,

Just received the larger CS Ultra yesterday for my Mavic Pro Platinum. I now need a short USB cable to connect CS unit to the Mavic Pro Controler. Question, what type USB cable is required for best connection results? I am using a mavmount to hold the CS. Another question. I also need an ac power charger to connect to the CS battery charger. Can I charge with a usb cable using the Mavic Pro charger? You thought on these items would bee appreciated. -Croleyd

Having major problems with signal loss and distortion on my Samsung S7.

Found this CS deal on Amazon. Any thoughts on this package deal?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180617-230647.png
    Screenshot_20180617-230647.png
    837.4 KB · Views: 53
I like it so far but just wish I could down load the drone deploy app Ive tried most things I have seen on you tube now I'm trying to figure out how to down load the app on a sd card. Sorry for the rambling over all it beats my iPads and Iphone and if I'm close to town it seems to get laggy. Fly safe!!!!

Reactions: jmorse62
I used to fly my Mavic Pro with a Samsung S7, which at around 600 nits is not bright enough for full sun wthout a hood. I tried an iPad Air 2 and iPad mini, both were not bright enough without a hood. I got a Ultra CS a few months back. The back light blew up after a few minutes of use, a common problem with the initial build of these, but ever since I got the repaired unit back it's been reliable. The outside metal case does get VERY hot in the sun, though, hot enough to burn skin if you are not careful.

It is very easy to see even in June mid-day sun (Northeast USA). I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S9+ and, at 1100 peak nits, it is bright enough to use outside but not nearly as bright as the Ultra CS. Also, after a few minutes the S9 drops in brightness, due to internal temperature limitations. It gets to a point where it is really to dim to use at mid-day without a hood. This does not appear to be a problem with the Ultra CS.

I wish the Ultra CS supported Google Play Services (app store) but otherwise I am happy with it.

Does the larger CS unit fit in the stock mounts of the controller or is it necessary to get a mount like polar pro? I currently use my ipad mini in the stock mount.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22