DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yet another benefit of flying my drone...

Are you inclined to place a wager on that?

I'll give you 10,000:1 odds on your $100 bet. Or choose a larger amount.
I would love to take your money but have you ever seen a Red Drum live in a freshwater lake?

Edit: I didn't know Red Drum could live in fresh water but either way, look at the original pic and the one on the website I posted. They are identical. No way to prove either way so we'll just have to agree to disagree. Like I said I've caught hundreds of them and I'm 100% sure it's a carp. Anyway carry on. Don't wanna take this off topic for the OP for something so stupid to argue about.

Last edited:
I would love to take your money but have you ever seen a Red Drum live in a freshwater lake?

Edit: I didn't know Red Drum could live in fresh water but either way, look at the original pic and the one on the website I posted. They are identical. No way to prove either way so we'll just have to agree to disagree. Like I said I've caught hundreds of them and I'm 100% sure it's a carp. Anyway carry on. Don't wanna take this off topic for the OP for something so stupid to argue about.

Well then there now. I'm just going to have to offer you 1,000,000:1 odds on your $1.

We can send the photo to the senior fisheries biologist at the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory down the road from my house for identification. Of course, he's eaten my smoked redfish, so he might not be considered impartial. So, pick any marine lab or the wildlife and fisheries group from any state east of the Mississippi with saltwater on one edge.

@edfrombama, want to weigh in on this and ID that fish? I'm guessing your caught that redfish in the bay or the Gulf rather than that pond you mentioned.

(Redfish are, in fact, euryhaline, meaning they can live in water with a wide range of salinity. I've caught them 30 miles out in the gulf and up the rivers after a heavy rain. A farm pond would be an unlikely place for one, though.)

(Lest anyone misunderstand, this is all in good fun. Though I am very serious about the wager.)

Reactions: Dbez1
Well then there now. I'm just going to have to offer you 1,000,000:1 odds on your $1.

We can send the photo to the senior fisheries biologist at the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory down the road from my house for identification. Of course, he's eaten my smoked redfish, so he might not be considered impartial. So, pick any marine lab or the wildlife and fisheries group from any state east of the Mississippi with saltwater on one edge.

@edfrombama, want to weigh in on this and ID that fish? I'm guessing your caught that redfish in the bay or the Gulf rather than that pond you mentioned.

(Redfish are, in fact, euryhaline, meaning they can live in water with a wide range of salinity. I've caught them 30 miles out in the gulf and up the rivers after a heavy rain. A farm pond would be an unlikely place for one, though.)

(Lest anyone misunderstand, this is all in good fun. Though I am very serious about the wager.)
I'll take the dollar bet if the person who posted it states exactly where the pic was taken. Seriously if you lost, everyone knows that you wouldn't pay it though lol.
Seems there would be no need for all that analysis with marine labs etc... if we just knew the lake where it came from. And it was twickers14 that posted the pic not edfrombama.
I'll pay if I lose the bet. ;)

Last edited:
I'll take the dollar bet if the person who posted it states exactly where the pic was taken. Seriously if you lost, everyone knows that you wouldn't pay it though lol.
Seems there would be no need for all that analysis with marine labs etc... if we just knew the lake where it came from. And it was twickers14 that posted the pic not edfrombama.
I'll pay if I lose the bet. ;)
I was about to say that it wasn't Twickers14 who posted the photo when it dawned on me that we're talking about different photos. Your post about the carp came immediately after Ed's post with the redfish. You were talking about the carp in post #11 and I was talking about the redfish in post #14. (Your post came right after 14, but you did include the text from 11 and I skipped over it.)

So it seems we were both right. How about you keep the dollar and I'll keep the million? Sound ok? And I'll buy the cold beer if we ever end up in the same place at the same time. Bring your fishing rod.

Reactions: 13_Dragons
I was about to say that it wasn't Twickers14 who posted the photo when it dawned on me that we're talking about different photos. Your post about the carp came immediately after Ed's post with the redfish. You were talking about the carp in post #11 and I was talking about the redfish in post #14. (Your post came right after 14, but you did include the text from 11 and I skipped over it.)

So it seems we were both right. How about you keep the dollar and I'll keep the million? Sound ok? And I'll buy the cold beer if we ever end up in the same place at the same time. Bring your fishing rod.
🤣Thumbswayup🍻

It's another instance of the American South conjuring up a useful term where there was a deficiency in standard English Y'all is the flagship - an exceedingly useful plural second person pronoun. She gave the book to you. You, one person or you, several folks? With you/y'all, there's no confusion.
Actually, in real life, with southerners, there is nothing BUT confusion, since most that I have heard speaking, use Y'all whether it be a single individual or a group of people. If people did as you suggest, then that would be a good way to differentiate.

However, in English, there is a very easy way to differentiate, unlike your poor example. It would be the following.
She gave the book to you... She gave the book to all of you. See, dead simple, clip and clear. No need for you and Ya'all really, is there, since we already have it in the English language? Of course, there is also a West Virginia derivative. Instead of you and Ya'll, they say you and yous!

Called Bluegill here in Nevada. Fun to catch and prep in the hottest times of the year.
Bluegill. I know that one :). Fished for them in Wisconsin as a boy.

Actually, in real life, with southerners, there is nothing BUT confusion, since most that I have heard speaking, use Y'all whether it be a single individual or a group of people. If people did as you suggest, then that would be a good way to differentiate.

However, in English, there is a very easy way to differentiate, unlike your poor example. It would be the following.
She gave the book to you... She gave the book to all of you. See, dead simple, clip and clear. No need for you and Ya'all really, is there, since we already have it in the English language? Of course, there is also a West Virginia derivative. Instead of you and Ya'll, they say you and yous!

As an alternative you might also offer "She gave the book to you all." Guess what evolves from there.

I've been to many backwoods and backwards places in the south and I've heard y'all used as a singular pronoun only a time or two. I have occasionally heard the redundant use of all with y'all, as in "Y'all all have a book now."

On canoe trips in West Virginia and North Carolina, I have heard "you uns," and the derivatives "yunce" and "yunts." And "youse guys" crops up in New York, New Jersey, and elsewhere. "Y'all" seems more melodic.

If you (Cymfuflyer and/or others) really want to raise some hackles, consider the correct "She gave the book to her and me." rather than the faux erudite "She gave the book to she and I."

Beautiful spring weather here today, so I'm off to exercise a drone. I hope you all have a fine day, too.

Good morning to all-
I can't help it-- I'm a retired English teacher so...

In fact, the proper form would be " to her and me" because those are the correct objective case forms of the pronoun. You need the objective case to serve as the object of the preposition "to".

And to be honest, I do not follow the correct forms slavishly- especially when I'm talking. When one is raised in Arkansas as I was, correct English is a very strange field- almost a totally foreign language.

I have often thought that some poor English graduate student could work out a very interesting research project for an advanced degree from studying and outlining the geographic boundaries of the second person pronoun- it has long been a topic of interest to me.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

use Y'all whether it be a single individual or a group of people.
Might as well throw in a nickel's worth here.......

I live in a rural County in GA. 'Went to town' yesterday to a bona fide 'service station' to have the oil changed in my truck, where they have some old schoolbus seats out front to sit as you wait. Had a pleasant conversation with an 87-year-old gentleman waiting on his car. Dion said my truck was ready and as I walked past the gentleman I said to him:

Have a good day, take care, see y'all later... he was the only other person sitting there.

I use y'all quite often, either singular or plural.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13_Dragons
You're in central georgia? me too... from your location I thought you were in MS.... and you're right about smelling a bream bed.

The pic of that thing in post #11 looks like a big tadpole to me :)
My official home is in Mississippi, but I'm often in Pine Mountain, Georgia.

Before we all went fishing, the OP asked about any unexpected benefits of drone piloting.

I'll add one that might be obvious but some may not have thought about this.
When I'm out hiking in some new territory, and might be trying to decide which way to go at a trail intersection, I can put the drone up and see what kinds of terrain I'd be walking through, depending which way I went. For instance, I went on a hike recently, in an area I've hiked before, but it wasn't til I flew my drone in a certain part of the park that I realized there are some "informal" trails there that lead to a pond, which I hadn't known existed. So the drone pointed me to a new area to explore....

Another one on that same theme.
I was also recently hiking in an area that had some very muddy trails, due to recent rains. I was considering leaving the trail at one place where it was not only muddy but the trail had collapsed on a steep uphill section, and taking off on less treacherous, more solid & dry terrain. What I didn't know is whether going cross country in the direction I wanted to go, would reconnect me to another main trail. I had a drone along and could have put it up to help answer that question.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_