DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yet another benefit of flying my drone...

edfrombama

Reactions
Good morning to all-
so I sent the little Mini2 up this morning for a quick neighborhood fly around and look-see. I have been flying my little rc planes lately, and I must say, flying rc planes really makes one appreciate the ease and control of a good drone.
Anyway, I flew the drone over one of our local ponds, and I could very clearly see the spawning beds of the fish in a particular place of the pond- the round circles made by the spawning fish were obvious from the drone.
So now I know exactly where to take my ultralight fishing rig and baits to catch me a mess of bream for supper.

Another benefit of flying a drone, don't you see?

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

bream...never heard of that fish. new things all the time.

bream...never heard of that fish. new things all the time.
It's another instance of the American South conjuring up a useful term where there was a deficiency in standard English Y'all is the flagship - an exceedingly useful plural second person pronoun. She gave the book to you. You, one person or you, several folks? With you/y'all, there's no confusion.

Bream is a shorthand term for several species of sunfish. Bluegill is the most common, but there are lots of others that are distinct species but similar in terms of physiology, habits, catching, and eating. Some have colorful nicknames: shellcracker, stump knocker, and warmouth. For more, here's a brief reference.

I may need to grab my 3 weight fly rod and track Ed down over across the bay.

Now, how about those graylings, sockeyes, and char?

Bream is a shorthand term for several species of sunfish.
And for those that don't know, it's pronounced 'brim'.... aka panfish, in the South.

Does anyone here know what a titty brim is? ;)

Good evening to all-
MS Coast- Brother, I got my three weight ready to go- got a white foam body popper that is dynamite on big bream- of all species.

And umanbean- a "titty bream" is a big old bream too big to hold in one hand- you have to hold it up against your chest- or titty if you're so equipped. These big old good uns are lots of fun.

you all keep well and be safe- Ed

Good morning to all-
so I sent the little Mini2 up this morning for a quick neighborhood fly around and look-see. I have been flying my little rc planes lately, and I must say, flying rc planes really makes one appreciate the ease and control of a good drone.
Anyway, I flew the drone over one of our local ponds, and I could very clearly see the spawning beds of the fish in a particular place of the pond- the round circles made by the spawning fish were obvious from the drone.
So now I know exactly where to take my ultralight fishing rig and baits to catch me a mess of bream for supper.

Dale-with 27 inch cutthroat trout.jpeg
Good morning to all-

This is certainly not a bream- it's a 27 inch cutthroat trout caught in Montana on a fly rod.

Dale

There's a Southernism for that, too. Doodle fishing.

Ed, I like a black foam-bodied spider with white rubber-band legs.
Nightcrawlers, red wigglers and Catalpa worms work well on a cane pole too 🙂

Last edited:
Reactions: OkieDoc
And umanbean- a "titty bream" is a big old bream too big to hold in one hand- you have to hold it up against your chest- or titty if you're so equipped. These big old good uns are lots of fun.
Exactly! Too big to hold around it with one hand to get the hook out, so you have to hold it up against your chest. Glad there's at least one other true Southern fisherman in this thread hehe :D

Get a hold of a biggun on a ultralight rig or cane pole, that thing'll fight like a 8lb Bass!

Good morning to all-

What a great extra benefit you have unearthed. You reminded me of my visit to Eagle Lakes, Naples FL in 2017 where my friend Jerry Jackson pointed out “nesting” fish (perhaps bream). I got a shot to show, perhaps you can ID the species?
1682013241765.jpeg
Good morning to all-

What a great extra benefit you have unearthed. You reminded me of my visit to Eagle Lakes, Naples FL in 2017 where my friend Jerry Jackson pointed out “nesting” fish (perhaps bream). I got a shot to show, perhaps you can ID the species?
View attachment 162902
Not a bream. That looks like an exotic that's been introduced to Florida, perhaps one of the cichlids. It appears that the dorsal fin (the one on top) goes almost to the tail. It's shorter in all the bream species.

Irresponsible aquarium owners have released all sorts of non-native fish into the wild that are displacing native species.

Here in the South, we'd say that fish was "bedding" rather than nesting. The bream here in central Georgia are going onto their beds now. They tend to group in a particular area and you can actually smell them. It's difficult to describe but unmistakable, similar to ripe watermelon.

Reactions: twickers14
The bream here in central Georgia are going onto their beds now.
You're in central georgia? me too... from your location I thought you were in MS.... and you're right about smelling a bream bed.

The pic of that thing in post #11 looks like a big tadpole to me :)

Good afternoon to all-
I am most pleased to find others on this drone forum who also value fly fishing. but it's hardly surprising- minds of a certain high level tend to function alike...
During the covid lockdown I spent much of my time building fly rods I reckon I made at least one fly rod of each weight from a tiny little 7 foot three weight up to a man-size stout 12 weight for big old redfish.
I do value fly fishing, and i find it connects well with drone flying- the little bird in the sky allows me to find structre nearshore and even small ponds in my neighborhood I never knew existed until I flew drones over them.

I'll try to attach a pic of a redfish I caught on a fly rod- had a lot of fun with this one.

Attachments

• big re4ds-fly rod0 cranks 090 resize.JPG
    big re4ds-fly rod0 cranks 090 resize.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 16
View attachment 162902
That's a carp.

• Haha
Reactions: Beet
  • Haha
  • Love
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics