DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yet another bird attack,

The hub was and is perfect, the p
Are we looking at the remains of the same propeller? Judging by the attached screen capture nearly half of the propeller's hub is missing.
I might try a "will it fly" experiment with the damaged prop to see if it could have got back without it, it was certainly difficult to control.
With regards to testing with half a propeller missing, I would suggest that that is something best left to the youtubers with a surplus of money. If you have gramme accurate scales measure the weight of a complete prop and the weight of your remains.
My maths is very rusty concerning imbalanced loads but lets assume the C.o.G of the missing mass is at 1/3 of the distance from the centre of the prop to the tip of an fully extended propeller. Measure that distance and plug the value for the missing mass and the distance of the CoG into the likes of
Centripetal Force Calculator .

Hover motor speeds for the mavic 2 pro are around 5250 rpm, let's assume the Air 2's are around 6000rpm, add that to the calculator and see what force is missing that the motor bearings are having to support.
That force will also be transmitted to the arm, the arm's pivot and the airframe.
I would suggest you risk damaging the drone in a test fight. You may find youtubes videos which will save you the possible expense.

A while ago I tested a M2Z with half a blade missing and the drone had the shakes with the propeller on the rear arm and was unflyable with the propeller on the front arm.

Attachments

• broken prop air 2-2.png
    broken prop air 2-2.png
    125.3 KB · Views: 13
Agree YP, the vibration from the out-of-balance would be huge and didn't see that in the video on the way back so probably snapped when it hit the ground and inverted.

Agree YP, the vibration from the out-of-balance would be huge and didn't see that in the video on the way back so probably snapped when it hit the ground and inverted.
Cheddar man just incase you are interested, hover rpms on your SE are likely to be 9000+. I have seen 14000+ for a moving Mavic Mini and might have seen 16000

I have lots of turkey vultures flying around all the time, they don't seem to care about the drone at all. I'll try and get some video, but its hard to see them on the small screen then chase them to photo LOL

Birds seem to be attracted to drones. I see them fly very close to mine, but have never hit it.

No trying to be argumentative, but the hub is far from perfect. Only about half of it is still there, and the blade is missing. The missing blade may be buried in the sand where the drone hit and inverted.

Did you see the birds striking the drone during that last couple hundred yards of flight? Three of the flight disturbances took place in that portion of the flight.

The log file would be interesting to see. Several of the members here are very good at interpreting them and offer up their talent and services as volunteers.
No, no, I know you weren´t, I was just trying to provide info and yes I did see the see the gulls come in at the drone on the flight back. I also saw them when I looked up from the screen when I first saw something was going on, at a bit of a distance, but yes, I could see the gulls mulling around.
I also find it very hard to see how the drone could get back with one blade missing, or maybe it was parcially broken and gave up the ghost on landingand I did have a good look around in the sand, but the we all know how easy it is to loose something in the sand. How do I access the log file? Tomorrow I am going to have a go at flying it with the broken rotor, somewhere nice and open just in case. The rotors were pretty new and with no dodgy landings or close shaves etc and I do check the drone well before each flight. I am also a very carefull flyer, to date only a close encounter with an almond tree branch where I gave the blossom a good trimming, the drone did not go down but I did end up with a few bits missing on the props which were replaced there and then, that was when it was new. The only other time I have had an accident is, again when it was new, I had it on follow mode filming my Porshe on a moutain road, on sport obviously and it found a bit of hill as it overshot slightly on a tight bend and stayed there.

Are we looking at the remains of the same propeller? Judging by the attached screen capture nearly half of the propeller's hub is missing.

With regards to testing with half a propeller missing, I would suggest that that is something best left to the youtubers with a surplus of money. If you have gramme accurate scales measure the weight of a complete prop and the weight of your remains.
My maths is very rusty concerning imbalanced loads but lets assume the C.o.G of the missing mass is at 1/3 of the distance from the centre of the prop to the tip of an fully extended propeller. Measure that distance and plug the value for the missing mass and the distance of the CoG into the likes of
Centripetal Force Calculator .

Hover motor speeds for the mavic 2 pro are around 5250 rpm, let's assume the Air 2's are around 6000rpm, add that to the calculator and see what force is missing that the motor bearings are having to support.
That force will also be transmitted to the arm, the arm's pivot and the airframe.
I would suggest you risk damaging the drone in a test fight. You may find youtubes videos which will save you the possible expense.

A while ago I tested a M2Z with half a blade missing and the drone had the shakes with the propeller on the rear arm and was unflyable with the propeller on the front arm.
Thanks

No, no, I know you weren´t, I was just trying to provide info and yes I did see the see the gulls come in at the drone on the flight back. I also saw them when I looked up from the screen when I first saw something was going on, at a bit of a distance, but yes, I could see the gulls mulling around.
I also find it very hard to see how the drone could get back with one blade missing, or maybe it was parcially broken and gave up the ghost on landingand I did have a good look around in the sand, but the we all know how easy it is to loose something in the sand. How do I access the log file? Tomorrow I am going to have a go at flying it with the broken rotor, somewhere nice and open just in case. The rotors were pretty new and with no dodgy landings or close shaves etc and I do check the drone well before each flight. I am also a very carefull flyer, to date only a close encounter with an almond tree branch where I gave the blossom a good trimming, the drone did not go down but I did end up with a few bits missing on the props which were replaced there and then, that was when it was new. The only other time I have had an accident is, again when it was new, I had it on follow mode filming my Porshe on a moutain road, on sport obviously and it found a bit of hill as it overshot slightly on a tight bend and stayed there.

Here's a complete discussion of log files from @sar104:

Why on earth would you do that? The vibration at lift off revs will almost certainly cause damage somewhere, probably to the very sensitive gimbal.

If you must (but I think you're nuts) Just start the motors and feel how much vibration there is or hold it in your hand, hold it tight and maybe raise the speed a bit?

Best of luck.

I was flying in San Remo, IT in June, and the seagulls got very angry. Never a direct attack, but definitely aggressive actions to intimidate it. I got out of the air quickly, of course, but I had never encountered such aggression before.

Yeah. Birds do seem to be curious as to my flying, hovering craft (MA2) as well.
So I try to be careful.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52