DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yet another blurry Mavic Air thread

icarus23

Reactions
Hi,

My Mavic Air video is blurry, but only on non-4K. All 4K videos seem sharp.

Here is an example 2.7K @ 60fps:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... Za/view?usp=sharing

All settings on auto and no ND-filters. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

-------------

UPDATE:

I talked to DJI support and they had me use a "compatible device" so I used iPhone 7 right here with the latest DJI go app.

I took all types of recordings:
4K: 30fps, 24fps
2.7K: 60fps, 30fps, 24fps
1080p: 60fps, 30fps, 24fps

The common settings were style 0,-3,-2 d-cinelike. Two versions one with Polarpro 32ND/PL filter and one without.

Without filter, the shutter had to be 1/1250 to get 0 EX. With the filter I followed the 180 degree rule.

Here are the results:
Mavic_Air_Blurry - Google Drive

I still think my camera is blurry. Please tell me I'm not crazy.

Last edited:
Is that video off the SD card? Also, where are you flying? Did you go from a cold space (inside) to a hot and humid area (outside)? I ask because your video looks similar to having moisture/condensation on the lens.

The video is straight off the SD card yes.

I was biking for around 10 minutes, then did the ActiveTrack orbit on the way home, so I don't think there is much change in temperature.

I also live in the tropics so there is no cold (inside) here, unless you mean air conditioning which we don't have.

Does the video look blurry for you too? I thought it was only with me because I was using a 4K monitor.

I miss the tropics! Originally from Hawaii. Didn't have a.c. either, just opened the windows for the trade winds!!

But yeah, your video was very blurry, very noticeable over the grass areas. It also looks noisy (can see red/blue pixels), like a high ISO was used. I can see it's blurry on my phone and when viewed on my laptop.

Good, so I'm not crazy after all. I thought it was just only me. You happen to have a 1080p/2.7K straight off the SD card, and can you give me a link to it so we can compare notes?

Here's one in 1080/30. Manual settings: Iso 100, 1/60, WB: Sunny, ND 32 filter, D-Cinelike & style settings 0,-3,-2

That is very sharp! What drone is this? I noticed the bit rate i a bit low (36mbit).

I downloaded your video off Google drive, instead of playing it from the link like I did earlier. It looks much better, but I see the blurriness over the grass. The house looks clear.

When directly playing it from the link, it plays in 360p, so that's blurry alright. [emoji6] But when switching it manually to 1080p, it looks sharp on my tablet. But when I zoom in, the blurriness appears. But that happens with all video, zooming in far enough. The second video looks sharper, but when zooming in on the trees, it also gets blurry. Maybe something in editing?

@mjanssen: These are unedited videos straight off the SD card. I think you need to download them to your computer because viewing them from a Youtube viewer, Google might have compressed the video that you're seeing already.

@JSKCKNIT:
After some research I think the high frame rate could be responsible for the blurriness. I will confirm this with some 24p/30p tests later. Unless you also have 1080@60p or 2.7K@60p sample videos that are sharp? Then my Air could have the problem.

@mjanssen: These are unedited videos straight off the SD card. I think you need to download them to your computer because viewing them from a Youtube viewer, Google might have compressed the video that you're seeing already.

@JSKCKNIT:
After some research I think the high frame rate could be responsible for the blurriness. I will confirm this with some 24p/30p tests later. Unless you also have 1080@60p or 2.7K@60p sample videos that are sharp? Then my Air could have the problem.
Hi Icarus,

I totally understand what you are complaining about. A friend of mine has the same issue, and I'm leaning towards suggesting him to return his drone to DJI, as there are some forum members who got sharper images/video with a replacement unit!

I just posted our findings today in another thread:

Really bad quality video ...took my air out for its first flight

Here I have caught soft a soft spot that always seems to be soft no matter what: SPOT2 - Google Drive

The store I bought this from says the 7-day replacement period is over and I have to go talk straight to DJI for warranty and the store said it will take around 3 months for the full replacement. :(

@swoermck: did your friend end up getting his Mavic Air replaced? Thanks.

Last edited:
@swoermck: did your friend end up getting his Mavic Air replaced? Thanks.
no, we are still not sure if this is faulty unit or the quality to be expected from the Mavic Air. Therefor I put a link to our video

in this forum to get opinions from others regarding the video quality.

Watching the video again I think his MA has a blurry part in the mid to left part of the footage - the trees on the left hand side of the river seem to be blurry, while trees on the right hand side seem to be ok? What's your opinion?

@swoermck I agree with his soft spot, you can verify this by viewing other footages and checking that spot every time for softness. It could be a lens defect.

My case it's totally the opposite. Mavic Pro blurry, Mavic air sharpen and real 4k. I lost year and a half with the pro and poor video quality.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+