DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Your experience with the Mavic Air 2

As someone who has flown with long range navigation for a very long time and navigated by time and distance for much longer ..I can tell you that one mile of head wind will cost you one mile of Ground Speed. I'm pretty sure that even Wilbur and Orville would tell you that.
I dont normally post on these forums anymore, but it gets my goat when those that are smart people, come across all condescending as an "authority" on aviation and just confuse those people that are trying to learn.

final example of my point, 2 aircraft flying into a 50kt headwind trying to maintain 150kts groundspeed.
Aircraft 1 is capable of 150kt airspeed
Aircraft 2 is capable of 200kt airspeed.
Now remember, the drone only supports groundspeed input
obviously, only aircraft 2 will be able to maintain the 150kt groundspeed, as it can increase power to fly at 200kt airspeed
Aircraft 2, unfortunately will only be able to maintain 100kt ground speed.
So the more powerful aircraft hasnt lost 1 kt of groundspeed for every kt of wind, because it has more power. Just as the mavic 2 has more power than the mavic air 2

does this make sense?
Im would like you to respond with either another jab, or perhaps an indication that you understand what im trying to say as simply as i can.
cheers

Ordered MA2 - 03 May
Schedule Delivery- #1 10 May
FEDEX DELAY - #1 10 May
Scheduled Delivery- #2 11 May
FEDEX DELAY#-2 11 May
Scheduled Delivery-#3 13 May
*Delivered 13 May Shipping Box appearance, Beat up, one box end multiple crush imprints, packing tape split open two shipping labels under final destination label.
I expected to find a Virus infected MA2 crushed into a MM.
Thanks to the packing material, No physical harm to the MA2.
**Initial Flight- Good to Go!
That is all - Carry On!
" SLIIK "
(PIC)
FAA Registered
Recreational
Working on sUAS Pilot License
MA2
MA
MM

Just found something after 5 flights. About 1 in 15 pics taken from the MA2 (not sure if I clicked them while moving or hovering) seems to be shaky. Went through about 1000 pics I took from the MA1 and MM and only about 10 of them are shaky.

Anybody else experiencing the same?

The range of motion of the cam on the MA2 is insane compared to the other models mentioned. Could that be demanding a much better gimbal control while moving, which the gimbal motors+control system is failing to provide?

That's unfortunate. Got DJI Refresh prior to activation for that type reason

Just found something after 5 flights. About 1 in 15 pics taken from the MA2 (not sure if I clicked them while moving or hovering) seems to be shaky. Went through about 1000 pics I took from the MA1 and MM and only about 10 of them are shaky.

Anybody else experiencing the same?

The range of motion of the cam on the MA2 is insane compared to the other models mentioned. Could that be demanding a much better gimbal control while moving, which the gimbal motors+control system is failing to provide?
The better or final product of photos/Videos are better viewed after downloaded to a relatively capable and qualitative processor ie PC whereby the intended camera specs are seen. Straight up.. What you see on the phone is not the final product..
Jus Sayin.

Absolutely. I did copy all pics from the drone's SD card to a Gaming Laptop. The shakiness is present even on the downloaded images.

I dont normally post on these forums anymore, but it gets my goat when those that are smart people, come across all condescending as an "authority" on aviation and just confuse those people that are trying to learn.

final example of my point, 2 aircraft flying into a 50kt headwind trying to maintain 150kts groundspeed.
Aircraft 1 is capable of 150kt airspeed
Aircraft 2 is capable of 200kt airspeed.
Now remember, the drone only supports groundspeed input
obviously, only aircraft 2 will be able to maintain the 150kt groundspeed, as it can increase power to fly at 200kt airspeed
Aircraft 2, unfortunately will only be able to maintain 100kt ground speed.
So the more powerful aircraft hasnt lost 1 kt of groundspeed for every kt of wind, because it has more power. Just as the mavic 2 has more power than the mavic air 2

does this make sense?
Im would like you to respond with either another jab, or perhaps an indication that you understand what im trying to say as simply as i can.
cheers

Yes to all of this. Let's keep going though.... Feel free to correct anything I've got wrong (And sorry for the long post -- I find this stuff interesting)

The Mavic 2's top speed is 2.2 MPH more than the Air 2. So, no matter the conditions, all things being equal, the 2 Pro should be able to go 2.2 MPH faster than the Air 2. If there is no wind, that will be at their respective top speeds. If there is a 10 mph headwind, that will be at 10mph less than either of their top speeds. (so the Pro 2 is still 2.2 MPH faster). Each one can overcome a headwind at a speed of less than the top speed minus the head wind.

So, from a pure top speed perspective --to get from point A to Point B they will each lose the same speed as the head wind. However, with each the headwind speed, the Pro 2 is still 2.2 MPH faster.

Each "cruising" at 15 mph, can increase power in a 10 mph headwind to maintain 15 mph. So both can overcome the wind power to maintain speed. There is only the 2.2 MPH window, where the Pro 2 can maintain its "cruising" speed, but the Air 2 no longer has the power to overcome the head wind.

As such, it doesn't make sense to say that one loses less than the other if the goal is top speed in sport mode. However, we have other things that come into play. There is "normal" mode and there is the use of vision sensors. At some point, the drone has tilted too much to make the vision sensors useful and they become disabled. This is an area where the Pro 2 seems to have a greater advantage than the Air 2. According to the specifications, the Pro 2 can maintain vision sensors at 31 MPH forward and 27 MPH backwards with an angle of 25 degrees. The Air 2 can maintain vision sensors at 27 MPH (no forward/reverse specified) at an angle of 20 degrees. So, the Pro 2's advantage of 2.2 MPH top speed becomes 4 MPH in top speed with vision sensors enabled, as it is able to use the sensors with more of a tilt (at least forwards). But, we are still in the same boat as before as to impact of wind. Each should still lose the same amount of speed as the headwind. Just that the Pro 2 is going 4 MPH faster across the board, if goal is top speed in a head wind with sensors on. There however is a 4 MPH "window" where the Pro 2 won't lose and the Air 2 does. If we are "Cruising" at 20 MPH, the Pro 2 can overcome a 10 MPH headwind with the sensors on, but the Air 2, will lose 3 MPH at that speed, since it can only overcome 7 MPH of wind.

Finally, there is "normal" mode with the sensors turned off. This is simply an artificial limit programmed into the drones to make it easier to control. In theory, the programming could be different in such that one of them can be programmed for max power or angle up to the top speed, while the other is programmed to have limited power or angle. In this case, the "window" where one loses speed in a headwind and one doesn't can be pretty large. If say the Pro 2 is programmed for a maximum speed of 31 MPH, using all its available power, it can overcome a 15 MPH head wind and not lose speed. If the Air 2 was programmed to only allow the power and angle of 27 MPH without wind, it will lose the exact amount of the head wind. There could be huge differences here (equivalent to the two aircrafts cruising at 150 kts, one with lots of reserve and one with none), but we have no idea how they were programmed.

Just finished updating just outta the box.. All I can say is thanks DJI you made updating far easier than in the past..

Reactions: Rchawks
What ND filter are you using on yours if any?
I've typically been leaving the 16 on for most flights. I did put on the 64 for a flight. I'm new to this so I'm more playing with it to see the different results (reason I'm getting in to this, it's fun to experiment and fly!).

This is my first big-boy drone, I've had cheaper drones but nothing with the abilities that this has so I'm super excited for what the MA2 has provided me here.

It doesn't handle wind at all well, which makes the 34 minutes flight time at 11 mph with no wind a very misleading flight time with any wind. Like the Mini, it's too light to efficiently make headway into the wind. Every mile of headwind results in a mile of reduced top speed in both Normal and Sports modes, while the Mavic 2 loses less than a half a mile of top speed, per mile of headwind, and is most efficient at 31mph, while the Mavic Air 2 is most efficient at 27mph.

Flying into a 10mph headwind, top speed was 18mph in Normal mode (27mph max).
Switching to Sport mode (42.5mph max) only increased the top speed to 31mph.
Stayed in Sport on the outleg, and returned in Normal mode at 27mph.
Landing at 7% remaining battery resulted in only a 22.5 minute flight time, covering only 9 miles. No net gain in flight time, and no gain in total distance over the Mavic 2 for my style of flying.

Mavic 2 in P mode into a 10 mile headwind would be at 26mph with only a 10% reduction in flight time over no wind, and a 23 minute average flight time to 5% remaining battery, but easily covering 10 miles.

A second MA2 flight, with lots of hovering for 6 panos and staying in Normal mode in between the panos resulted in a 27 minute flight time covering only 5.2 miles, landing at 5% remaining battery.

No ability to save the 26 original images for the panos, let alone shoot them in DNG. No expo control over the yaw for smoother turns. 20MP saved original stills from the M2P from panos run circles around the 13MP final stitched result on the MA2 with no access to the 12MP originals. 48MP capability from the 1/2” sensor is decent and better than a plain 12MP shot, but still can't match the dynamic range of a 20MP still from the 1” sensor on the M2P. No control over the front red LED's to keep them off.

Note: The Remote Identification Broadcast toggle to OFF does not survive a reboot, and must be manually turned off as part of the preflight routine, upon every boot up! Much like the GEO toggle of yore, expect this toggle to soon disappear, forcing the broadcast of your flight to everyone with DJI's detecting smartphone app!

You'll need to use the iPad app to unlock any authorization zones as the iPhone version won't let you enter the six digit authorization code in the boxes on the screen!

Careful about the much lighter airframe. I didn't initially unfold the props, and the spin up caused the drone to slide off my small launching table, almost leading to disaster, until I gave full left throttle to immediately lift it off the table.

Turn your phone volume down to almost zero, unless you want your neighbors to hear every announcement, including every loud shutter click of a 26 shot pano, which screams "I'm taking pictures of you!" even though the drone is 1/2 a mile away! The annoying beeping below 10% is on the RC, so it is still annoying, but not nearly as loud as the M2 remote. It will still attract unwanted attention.

You'll need a longer USB-C to Lightning cable for any iPad use, and most table mounts still work. No place for a lanyard, though.

4K 60fps video is buttery, but the lack of yaw expo reduction means the turns are still too whippy.

Charge all the batteries in the FlyMore kit off the Hub separately on the original charger for the initial charge from hibernation.
Math Pause
Wind 11 MPH + 18 MPH = 28 MPH vs 27 MPH expected EXACTLY, what would be expected. It's basic math. You expect it to get FASTER? in the wind?

This is why our airline airspeed has nothing to do with your arrival time because you add or subtract the wind at altitude to the airspeed.
" Billy is on a plane with an airspeed of 500 MPH, he is traveling to grandma's house 1500 miles away. There is 200MPH headwind, when will he get to the airport near Grandma's house?" Hint, it's not 3 hours...
I am beginning to realize why the FAA wants Drone pilots to have some basic manned aircraft level training.

The Air 2 is amazing in the wind, Note I am coming from a Mavic Mini, but I would offer this video below as some proof.
Plus I was flying it around in 20 MPH gusts and the video was smooth and the handling is solid. No videos posted yet from me. Too much work to pay for this beast.
But I will admit compared to a Cessna 172 it is a bit light.

Remember 34 minutes is continuous fight at an optimum speed probably with the camera at the lowest power setting etc. You compare it to other perfect ratings and you find it will be 25-29. in real-world flights. Vs say a Mini which is 23-26.
See Mavic Air 2 in the Wind!!! >>> Air 2 - Insane Wind test

IMG_7874.jpeg

I stalked the UPS driver all day from when they left the depot, to when they came within a couple blocks and then turned away and went off the local UPS Store for a pickup and then back to my house. It was a LONG day.

Slapped the first battery on the charger (not the dock) and also the controller. Took off the 1500 stickers. Once the battery was charged I connected everything and took care of the firmware update.

Then off to the local flight center (my backyard), compass and IMU calibration and took off. Then I fly around the neighborhood.

Things that happened in the first flights:
  • Tested the APAS on my face.
  • Found out I tap the Fn button accidentally a lot. Luckily all that does is turn on the belly light.
  • AirSense works, it picked up a jet coming in for a landing at the airport.
  • Lost signal to the bird about 2700ft out. Three times as far or more than the MA1 could get in the same direction.
  • Tested out the Pano and 360 shots (the MA2 will shoot 360 shots a lot lower than the MA1, it was only about 8ft off the ground)
Impressions? I concur with others, it's a sweet flying drone. The MA1 was good, this is better. Flight time was impressive. No issues that I could find. I didn't shoot any video but the photos were great. The controller is way smaller than I thought it was going to be. My phone case is too big but I knew it would be. And lastly, dang it's quiet.

Much nicer weather tomorrow and I don't have to work. Could be fun.

My first real drone was a Mavic Mini. Amazing device that I will keep so I can fly in Canada.

First impressions.
Quiet its tone is lower than the Mavic Mini so it seems quieter, very impressed.
AirSense thing yelled at me in Chinese when a small plan at least 200 feet above the drone was heading in the general direction.
Big speaker on remote beeps quieter than the Mavic Mini remote on RTH. yes!!!
Wow what a lot of stickers (did ya all find the little round on the very back of the gimble?)
Props so easy to put on and so rigid
It makes perfect circles in the flight data when put into POI mode.
Haven't even begun to really try it out... But very nice.

"Like the Mini, it's too light to efficiently make headway into the wind " - I think not. "weight" has nothing to do with 'making headway into the wind". It will travel at the same air speed regardless of wind - head, tail or none - air speed remains the same.
Maximum speed recorded in the Fly App in N mode was 18mph into a 10mph headwind, as recorded in AirData, where no wind is rated at 27mph. Maximum speed on the Mavic 2 in P mode into a 10mph headwind is 27 mph, where no wind is rated at 32mph. Do with the information as you wish. The discussion was about making headway into the wind. The Air 2 is half as efficient as the Mavic 2 when flying into the wind, losing a mile per hour for every mile per hour of headwind, instead of only half a mile per hour on the Mavic 2. Whether you want to attribute it to the much lighter weight of the aircraft, or the inefficiency of the motors, or a combination of the two, the result is still the same.

Eh, YouTube guys that know their stuff have showed it to handle wind fine. Also battery tests have been done that show it lasts longer I’m the air. The other photography items I can’t compare as I haven’t used a MP2 extensively.

Still your experience might not be the same. Temps and altitude may make up the difference in other people’s results. I’m sure in Florida the drone acts different from Colorado.
I was not referring to stability in the wind, but was, instead, referring to aircraft speed, as displayed in the Fly app, when flying into a headwind. My results are my results, and comparing the Mavic Air 2 to over 400 hours of flying all other DJI aircraft in the same area, over the last four years. I fly at sea level, not in the mountains of CO at 5,000 feet ASL. YMMV.

Last edited:
"Mavic 2 loses less than a half a mile of top speed, per mile of headwind"
Gee...Boeing would love to know the secret on that..along with every pilot who has ever gone aloft.
I was referring to how the aircraft responds to a headwind by altering the motor output to compensate for the wind, not a change in physics!

Reactions: hiflyer201
But really is it? I need more people to comment on the performance of this drone. Youtube has done a great job so far. Let's hear from the rest of this community first.
I am more than qualified to answer the performance question.
My comparisons are in the same environment over four years with the P3P, P4, P4P, MP, M2P, M2Z, MA, and now the MA2.
If you don't like my results, then I suggest you perform your own tests to satisfy yourself.

8BD26DB2-6669-4748-AA17-A1EE9C31F157.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: itsneedtokno
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki