DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Your experience with the Mavic Air 2

Coming from a Mini, it's better than I expected. The huge step up in raw power and wind handling capability was expected. I expected the camera to be a bit better, but the HDR image and video modes have blown me away. I'm very happy with the purchase.

The attached image was not edited.
Is your photo SoC or did you adjust for lens distortion? I ask because the horizon appears to be very straight....no roll off at the edges.

It doesn't handle wind at all well, which makes the 34 minutes flight time at 11 mph with no wind a very misleading flight time with any wind. Like the Mini, it's too light to efficiently make headway into the wind. Every mile of headwind results in a mile of reduced top speed in both Normal and Sports modes, while the Mavic 2 loses less than a half a mile of top speed, per mile of headwind, and is most efficient at 31mph, while the Mavic Air 2 is most efficient at 27mph.

Flying into a 10mph headwind, top speed was 18mph in Normal mode (27mph max).
Switching to Sport mode (42.5mph max) only increased the top speed to 31mph.
Stayed in Sport on the outleg, and returned in Normal mode at 27mph.
Landing at 7% remaining battery resulted in only a 22.5 minute flight time, covering only 9 miles. No net gain in flight time, and no gain in total distance over the Mavic 2 for my style of flying.

Mavic 2 in P mode into a 10 mile headwind would be at 26mph with only a 10% reduction in flight time over no wind, and a 23 minute average flight time to 5% remaining battery, but easily covering 10 miles.

A second MA2 flight, with lots of hovering for 6 panos and staying in Normal mode in between the panos resulted in a 27 minute flight time covering only 5.2 miles, landing at 5% remaining battery.

No ability to save the 26 original images for the panos, let alone shoot them in DNG. No expo control over the yaw for smoother turns. 20MP saved original stills from the M2P from panos run circles around the 13MP final stitched result on the MA2 with no access to the 12MP originals. 48MP capability from the 1/2” sensor is decent and better than a plain 12MP shot, but still can't match the dynamic range of a 20MP still from the 1” sensor on the M2P. No control over the front red LED's to keep them off.

Note: The Remote Identification Broadcast toggle to OFF does not survive a reboot, and must be manually turned off as part of the preflight routine, upon every boot up! Much like the GEO toggle of yore, expect this toggle to soon disappear, forcing the broadcast of your flight to everyone with DJI's detecting smartphone app!

You'll need to use the iPad app to unlock any authorization zones as the iPhone version won't let you enter the six digit authorization code in the boxes on the screen!

Careful about the much lighter airframe. I didn't initially unfold the props, and the spin up caused the drone to slide off my small launching table, almost leading to disaster, until I gave full left throttle to immediately lift it off the table.

Turn your phone volume down to almost zero, unless you want your neighbors to hear every announcement, including every loud shutter click of a 26 shot pano, which screams "I'm taking pictures of you!" even though the drone is 1/2 a mile away! The annoying beeping below 10% is on the RC, so it is still annoying, but not nearly as loud as the M2 remote. It will still attract unwanted attention.

You'll need a longer USB-C to Lightning cable for any iPad use, and most table mounts still work. No place for a lanyard, though.

4K 60fps video is buttery, but the lack of yaw expo reduction means the turns are still too whippy.

Charge all the batteries in the FlyMore kit off the Hub separately on the original charger for the initial charge from hibernation.
Did you have it sport mode kinda hard to believe it can’t Handel 11 mph wind?

"Mavic 2 loses less than a half a mile of top speed, per mile of headwind"
Gee...Boeing would love to know the secret on that..along with every pilot who has ever gone aloft.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
It doesn't handle wind at all well, which makes the 34 minutes flight time at 11 mph with no wind a very misleading flight time with any wind. Like the Mini, it's too light to efficiently make headway into the wind. Every mile of headwind results in a mile of reduced top speed in both Normal and Sports modes, while the Mavic 2 loses less than a half a mile of top speed, per mile of headwind, and is most efficient at 31mph, while the Mavic Air 2 is most efficient at 27mph.

Flying into a 10mph headwind, top speed was 18mph in Normal mode (27mph max).
Switching to Sport mode (42.5mph max) only increased the top speed to 31mph.
Stayed in Sport on the outleg, and returned in Normal mode at 27mph.
Landing at 7% remaining battery resulted in only a 22.5 minute flight time, covering only 9 miles. No net gain in flight time, and no gain in total distance over the Mavic 2 for my style of flying.

Mavic 2 in P mode into a 10 mile headwind would be at 26mph with only a 10% reduction in flight time over no wind, and a 23 minute average flight time to 5% remaining battery, but easily covering 10 miles.

A second MA2 flight, with lots of hovering for 6 panos and staying in Normal mode in between the panos resulted in a 27 minute flight time covering only 5.2 miles, landing at 5% remaining battery.

No ability to save the 26 original images for the panos, let alone shoot them in DNG. No expo control over the yaw for smoother turns. 20MP saved original stills from the M2P from panos run circles around the 13MP final stitched result on the MA2 with no access to the 12MP originals. 48MP capability from the 1/2” sensor is decent and better than a plain 12MP shot, but still can't match the dynamic range of a 20MP still from the 1” sensor on the M2P. No control over the front red LED's to keep them off.

Note: The Remote Identification Broadcast toggle to OFF does not survive a reboot, and must be manually turned off as part of the preflight routine, upon every boot up! Much like the GEO toggle of yore, expect this toggle to soon disappear, forcing the broadcast of your flight to everyone with DJI's detecting smartphone app!

You'll need to use the iPad app to unlock any authorization zones as the iPhone version won't let you enter the six digit authorization code in the boxes on the screen!

Careful about the much lighter airframe. I didn't initially unfold the props, and the spin up caused the drone to slide off my small launching table, almost leading to disaster, until I gave full left throttle to immediately lift it off the table.

Turn your phone volume down to almost zero, unless you want your neighbors to hear every announcement, including every loud shutter click of a 26 shot pano, which screams "I'm taking pictures of you!" even though the drone is 1/2 a mile away! The annoying beeping below 10% is on the RC, so it is still annoying, but not nearly as loud as the M2 remote. It will still attract unwanted attention.

You'll need a longer USB-C to Lightning cable for any iPad use, and most table mounts still work. No place for a lanyard, though.

4K 60fps video is buttery, but the lack of yaw expo reduction means the turns are still too whippy.

Charge all the batteries in the FlyMore kit off the Hub separately on the original charger for the initial charge from hibernation.
That seems like as comprehensive a response to the OP's question as he could wish for!

That seems like as comprehensive a response to the OP's question as he could wish for!
But really is it? I need more people to comment on the performance of this drone. Youtube has done a great job so far. Let's hear from the rest of this community first.

Is your photo SoC or did you adjust for lens distortion? I ask because the horizon appears to be very straight....no roll off at the edges.

I just used the Smart Photo option, no edits of any kind. I'm not much of a camera expert, but I'm assuming SoC means straight off camera?

But really is it? I need more people to comment on the performance of this drone. Youtube has done a great job so far. Let's hear from the rest of this community first.
I repeat, the OP asked for feedback from those who've flown it and GadgetGuy, who's been a member of this forum for three & a half years gave a damned good dose of feedback as one could ask for. I've seen & heard enough on YouTube and this forum to convince me that the Mavic Air 2 may be a good enough drone for some, but has several shortcomings for my personal requirements and that convinces me to wait for the Mavic Pro 3 for what I personally am looking to upgrade to.

Couple of notes on the @GadgetGuy review (which I appreciate)

I entered the 6 digit unlock code on an iphone without any issue, I did not need to use an ipad.

The low battery beep on the controller can be stopped by pushing the power button (according to the instructions, I didn't get that low). The below 5% critical battery can't be.

Decreased battery/flying time in wind is valid (of course) and I don't have comparisons with the Pro 2, so I can't comment on the comparison. However, I'll say that in my mind that doesn't mean it can't "handle" the wind. Flew into a 12.9 MPH headwind, and zig - zagged back across the wind and the drone does it just fine the video and photos are stabilized great. Only flew a short flight (8 minutes total - used 28% battery). Airdata estimates 28.3 minutes of battery for that flight, so obviously short of the 34 minutes estimated, but very reasonable considering wind. So, if "can't handle" the wind means decreased distance and battery-- then I'm sure that's correct. However, if "can't handle" means it isn't suitable for flying, taking pictures, or video, I disagree.

For those waiting, I don't think there is any doubt the Mavic Pro 3 (whenever it comes out) will top the Air 2 in every way except size and price or that the 2 Pro tops it in some ways and lags it in others. (Also have no doubt the Pro 4 will be better than the 3). Its just a matter of finding the one that fits what you are trying to do, at an approximate time you are ready to buy!

I repeat, the OP asked for feedback from those who've flown it and GadgetGuy, who's been a member of this forum for three & a half years gave a damned good dose of feedback as one could ask for. I've seen & heard enough on YouTube and this forum to convince me that the Mavic Air 2 may be a good enough drone for some, but has several shortcomings for my personal requirements and that convinces me to wait for the Mavic Pro 3 for what I personally am looking to upgrade to.

The more people we hear from, the better. There will be lemons out there like every product has, particularly at launch, and different flight styles will affect performance.

I just used the Smart Photo option, no edits of any kind. I'm not much of a camera expert, but I'm assuming SoC means straight off camera?
I should of said SOOC......straight out of camera. Thx.

I got mine from best buy on Saturday. I was nervous to fly as this is my first drone, but man is it easy. I set the controller up like a PlayStation or Xbox controller and this made the learning curve so much smaller. Amazed at how small it is and how quiet it is. For me, just an average person, the photos and video are incredible quality. Very impressed how much you can zoom with the 48mp and still maintain quality.

Reactions: Rchawks
360 photos are pretty neat!
2c10882638427cfd5ba2afb2d0fb9b17.jpg

Just re-saw @GadgetGuy's note about the Pano and then tested-- No original files Yuck. The good news is, the drone stitches the photos to a pano much better than the original Air did, so having to restitch from the originals doesn't seem to be as necessary. Still would be much better to have the option to if need be and to work on the originals as needed.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I noticed the props "stuck" together when folded more than some of the other fold-able designs. I didn't unfold them the first time and the aircraft did jerk a little when they were first spun up. I can imagine that would be a problem on a smaller raised launch platform. Need to add a step to unfold props before spin-up....
Well, what do you know? User Manual, page 6, Preparing the Aircraft: step 3: ...Unfold all the propeller blades. :cool:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis