DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Youtube Scared Me

Silly me! I already had watched it! I am really getting senile.

Uploaded an iMovie to YouTube of my recent trip to Iceland. Took 5 hours to upload the 14 minute 4K video. Some drone shots, some iPhone shots. The video on iMovie looked pretty decent for an amateur like me, having the MA about 3 weeks before the trip! After waiting the 5 hours for the upload, the video was finally posted, I quickly watched it and it looked like crap!! Grainy as could be. Disappointed I googled what the problem could be- found out it takes about 10-60 minutes for Youtube to do it’s final rendering. After that time had passed it now looks good again. Happy with the final outcome!

Watched In 4K the mars terrain and footage looked amazing on the ultra large screen tv : Pro Quality.

Not a fan of mixing pics with drone video somehow does not work well .

When it comes to filming near the water falls , best to come down on top of the water and record , much better results than going up .

I would have been tempted to fly under the rock bridge to add the Wow Factor to the flight .

You also might have considered flying thru the Mist for a nice fade shot into a clearing. None the less the end result was awesome and worth the effort.

Phantomrain.org
Mavic Gear to get you in and out of the rain.
Coal

Reactions: Stealthbomber
For what it's worth, regarding the Phantom Rain comments, I was at this very falls (Skøgafoss) in May,2019. It was loaded with tons of people, tour busses, etc. There is a prominent sign of a drone with a red slash through it at the parking lot. E.g.: NO drones allowed. To get a shot of this falls in any way is an accomplishment, whether flying to it or away from it or above it....there are people everywhere since it is one of the most popular sights in Iceland. Flying behind it would be impossible- the falls is simply too powerful, with tons of spray and mist that would crash any drone. Yes, you would fly through the mist and lose the drone.

Some are not fans of mixed media as Phanthomrain noted, but I love the fact that I can, and have used Nikon DSLR stills, drone video, timelapse video, OsmoAction-video, Nikon DSLR-video mode, and iPhone video on this trip, all to make the overall film more interesting to the viewer. I am attaching an image that literally had hundreds of people in it before editing them out.

Attachments

• Skogafoss-with-man-in-black-6490 copy.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
I read some of the Amazon reviews on iexpand Scan disk flash drive- all very negative. Decided against it.

Wow, no it is brilliant, at least in my use of it.
It just works as stated, and very fast transfer.

I just searched sandisk iexpand reveiws, maybe the Amazon ones were 1st gen ?
Found some recent ones, will keep looking for actual user reviews.
I like this little piece of gear . . .

Found that Amazon page, mixed reviews for sure . . .
What I noted was most were complaining about time to do back up of devices (phone / ipad etc) and of course it takes a long time to do such things.
Doing even some large video files from device to device / desktop is a lot more friendly for the user.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, regarding the Phantom Rain comments, I was at this very falls (Skøgafoss) in May,2019. It was loaded with tons of people, tour busses, etc. There is a prominent sign of a drone with a red slash through it at the parking lot. E.g.: NO drones allowed. To get a shot of this falls in any way is an accomplishment, whether flying to it or away from it or above it....there are people everywhere since it is one of the most popular sights in Iceland. Flying behind it would be impossible- the falls is simply too powerful, with tons of spray and mist that would crash any drone. Yes, you would fly through the mist and lose the drone.

Some are not fans of mixed media as Phanthomrain noted, but I love the fact that I can, and have used Nikon DSLR stills, drone video, timelapse video, OsmoAction-video, Nikon DSLR-video mode, and iPhone video on this trip, all to make the overall film more interesting to the viewer. I am attaching an image that literally had hundreds of people in it before editing them out.

I was wondering about drone regs and here i was ready to book a flight ugh.
Thank you. Your picture awesome .

I was wondering about drone regs and here i was ready to book a flight ugh.
Thank you. Your picture awesome .
Thank you. Working around the crowds in Iceland is an art form. To me, the best way was to go on the Iceland Photo Tours WORKSHOP trip but be sure it's a workshop and not a photo tour. In the tour, they just let you do your own thing and the guide waits for you. In the workshop the guide helps you with placement of the tripod, drone, etc. and even with the post production. The guides are well familiar with the best places and they do all of the scouting, and help you avoid wasting time, and avoiding no drone zones. All of the national parks with the best stuff have no drone regs but there are plenty of places for spectacular scenery without them. Check out my video which is in that thread. It contains all of the multi-media I've been talking about in this thread- e.g.: stills, videos from many sources including OsmoAction, iPhone, drone, timelapse sequences, etc.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Fantastic scenery capture well.

As to comments regarding the length of the video, why not save the long edit for personal viewing as you want to be reminded of it all but do another edit with shorter scenes for public viewing.

Its a sign of the times, people don't have a great attention span these days.

I apologize if the forum members feels I hijacked or took over. I had first hand knowledge, but I'll try not to do it again.

I apologize if the forum members feels I hijacked or took over. I had first hand knowledge, but I'll try not to do it again.
No problem from me Dale D as far as I am concerned you didn't try to hijack the thread.
You gave your reply with your comments as requested.

In an attempt to help you post a video and state “I have already posted it to this forum on several occasions but for your interest, here is the link again. Mine too is a bit long “.
Others comment on your post, things start to go off on a tangent through no fault of yours.
Quite a normal occurrence on any forum I have ever joined.

Stealthbomber I am sorry you feel some posts detracted from your video but after all some good advice was given and that is what you asked for.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Firstly, regarding YouTube, I also found that the first render was blurred and of poor quality. After a while it seems to re-render properly. I subscribe at some additional cost to Vimeo, which is better quality for me. As far as your Iceland video, it is beautiful but unfortunately, the clips are all a bit too long, and dwell a bit too long, thus causing me to lose interest and skip forward. Music is nice. The pans or yaws were also a bit too fast for my eyes- causing a dizziness effect. My wife and I did the circle tour in May with Iceland Photo Tours and a private photo guide. I have already posted it to this forum on several occasions but for your interest, here is the link again. Mine too is a bit long!

Awesome video Dale. Makes me want to go to Iceland, take my Mavic and see the sites in person.

You= Excellently done professional video on a professional photography tour

Me= Half decent amateur vid by an amateur usually asking “honey do you think I have time to get the drone out” her- “hurry up, you’ve got 3 minutes im freezing“. ?

Yep! I was stationed in Newfoundland where summer is August 15, all the rest is WINTER & Iceland is much farther north. What dates were you there? I just don't understand why people live in cold places! As for comments, I must agree with the "too long" comments. You can cut most of the scenes in half & they might still be a little long to keep folk's attention. I watched the whole video because it looked so much like Newfoundland but there were many times I almost stopped it. Otherwise, it was very beautiful! What video editor do you use?

Yep! I was stationed in Newfoundland where summer is August 15, all the rest is WINTER & Iceland is much farther north. What dates were you there? I just don't understand why people live in cold places! As for comments, I must agree with the "too long" comments. You can cut most of the scenes in half & they might still be a little long to keep folk's attention. I watched the whole video because it looked so much like Newfoundland but there were many times I almost stopped it. Otherwise, it was very beautiful! What video editor do you use?

We were there Sept. 8-14. I was born in Newfoundland. Iceland is similar, but there are few trees there and way more rugged and mountainous! Theres the volcanoes and glaciers that also set it apart. I told my wife its like Newfoundland on steroids! I’ve been in the hot Caribbean several times but I also enjoy visiting scenic places, being Canadian, the cold doesn’t bother me.

Yes I agree the video is long but as stated I use YouTube as safe video storage. That way I can watch our memories anywhere on any device. I post vids to public just for the hell of it.

I used iMovie for editing on my iPhone. I had 20GB’s of free space on my iPhone before leaving on the trip, but the drone vids and pics quickly used that up. Using iMovie with all the phone’s memory used up was a challenge and took some trickery. :)

Really nice job thank you so much for sharing when I used to be in the military had a neighbor whose wife was Icelandic she could really cook some delicious meals. Always wanted to go there and visit looks like a beautiful place

Reactions: Stealthbomber
Uploaded an iMovie to YouTube of my recent trip to Iceland. Took 5 hours to upload the 14 minute 4K video. Some drone shots, some iPhone shots. The video on iMovie looked pretty decent for an amateur like me, having the MA about 3 weeks before the trip! After waiting the 5 hours for the upload, the video was finally posted, I quickly watched it and it looked like crap!! Grainy as could be. Disappointed I googled what the problem could be- found out it takes about 10-60 minutes for Youtube to do it’s final rendering. After that time had passed it now looks good again. Happy with the final outcome!
Yup, I was pulling my hair out too till I discovered that

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife