DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yup my first crash & pilot error

bjhirsch

Reactions
As we are in lockdown I decided to play a bit with my mini on my roof terrace. Very stupidly & lazy I decided to lift of from a table which has a iron or alumunium frame so for sure I got a compass error .. drone lift up normal and all of a sudden fly backward without wind or stick impact after some sec on initial hovering. It crashed very softly into a large bush without any visible damage (very low speed, soft leaves & fly in was backwards, so gimbal & camera luckily protected. I was a bit too slow to react, but impressed how the mini switched off the rotors " automatically" . After very careful inspection everything looks okay & did 3 test flights without problems indoor.

Quite impressed .. but now my question, is there any way to get the log & see the crash detection initiated to understand how fast the protection reacted ? I was not filming so no video available, was just looking for some flying.

Thanks for any suggestion & yes I now .. this was 100% pilot error and you should not lift off close to magnetic objects , I just underestimated the impact :(

Thanks Bjoern

Yes, here . . . DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Once you have the flight detail after uploading the TXT file, just copy and paste the page URL here.
That should show the information about why the crash happened.

For a matter of interest, see if the sub folder with the DAT files has anything in it.
If so, save that and attach to that reply too, it is handy for the people doing analysis to have that sometimes, even see one . . . DJI has the system set to delete those when there is an auto or manual log sync done, then only they can read an encrypted DAT from the aircraft.

you think that's pilot error, I was trying to get a photo of my mavic 2 pro , with lights and guards on. in my bedroom. luckly I had carbon blades , so no damage was done. now that was silly

Aluminum won’t be the issue. It’s not magnetic.

Where the drone takes off is not the issue. Where it was powered on is the key. The other day I powered my Mini on in close proximity to the balcony floor ( which should have a lot of steel reinforecement ) and this is the result after about 1.5 minutes of uneventful flying. The gimbal was broken into three pieces :

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Effect of where the drone is powered on :

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wayne Mavic Mini
A proper assessment of the flight problem can't really be assumed until a flight log is put up here, it could well be a compass issue, or lack of good satellite connection, but from this brief description, it was more likely compass interference.

which has a iron or alumunium frame so for sure I got a compass error

The OP says table may have had steel / iron in it's materials . . . @bjhirsch did you actually get a compass error message on your screen ?
Best to post up those flight logs (TXT and DAT if possible) as per post #2 link.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aa009