DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

.700 is here "The-f-word" There is new firmware once again!

I would love to see the reactions of the DJI techs who actually know what changed in the FW versions to all the reports of increased/decreased signal quality, hover stability and all other highly subjective and variable parameters.. I bet that if they released a .750 tomorrow with absolutely no changes at all there would still be reports or it either being a total flop or the best FW ever..

Anybody getting NFZ limit with week GPS signal when being at home? I didn't have it constantly appearing on 0.600. When I put MP in a place with zero satellites it is not appearing though.

Reactions: Bo Lindquist
I would love to see the reactions of the DJI techs who actually know what changed in the FW versions to all the reports of increased/decreased signal quality, hover stability and all other highly subjective and variable parameters.. I bet that if they released a .750 tomorrow with absolutely no changes at all there would still be reports or it either being a total flop or the best FW ever..

The sad part about the range issue is that we do not have a single forum member with a good enough spectrum analyzer to confirm if there is a signal strength difference. If my S.A. could go up to 3GHz I would be able to tell you right away.

Also it is very possible that they might not be be changing the output level. They could also change the receiver threshold levels in the SDR to use more conservative values. To the end user it would seem like less power output.

One forum member whos name I cannot remember said that he was going to test .400 vs .600 in the same flight plan and report back. I have not heard anything from him. If someone ever does a properly setup long range line of sight flight test with both versions we would know for sure what is going on.

My own experience was enough for me to go back to .400 but it would be nice to know with certainty.

Rob

The sad part about the range issue is that we do not have a single forum member with a good enough spectrum analyzer to confirm if there is a signal strength difference. If my S.A. could go up to 3GHz I would be able to tell you right away.

Also it is very possible that they might not be be changing the output level. They could also change the receiver threshold levels in the SDR to use more conservative values. To the end user it would seem like less power output.

One forum member whos name I cannot remember said that he was going to test .400 vs .600 in the same flight plan and report back. I have not heard anything from him. If someone ever does a properly setup long range line of sight flight test with both versions we would know for sure what is going on.

My own experience was enough for me to go back to .400 but it would be nice to know with certainty.

Rob

Even if you did do that it would still be circumstantial at best.. without full control over the test conditions along the full flight path (or at least full understanding of them) you won't be able to produce significant results. Somebody switches on their unshielded microwave, some radio guy fires up his transmitter, humidity changes... that's not to say that there possibly aren't differences between versions, I just refuse to pay too much attention to anecdotal reports based on sometimes a single flight.

I finally bit the bullet today, and upgraded. First, I upgraded my iPad to the latest Go 4 and flew it on .400. No issues, flew out to 8000 feet and back with no noted issues. I then upgraded on the spot at the site to .700. Took about 5 minutes for the RC, about 20 minutes for the Mavic. I did decline the NFZ update this time around.

Flew the same exact 8000 foot flight (and the wind was blowing 15-20 mph all day today), and noted zero differences between .400 and .700. No gimbal strangeness, no range differences. It felt exactly the same. There were a couple minor setting changes I had to set back to my desired settings after the update, but mostly it was all the same. I should point out that my Mavic has been flawless (Received March 1st) and never had any of the odd issues reported by so many. I had one gimbal glitch once when I started a recording, but it recovered within a couple seconds. I can also fly on my Galaxy S5 without issue as long as I enable Airplane mode, shut down background apps, and not enable Peak detection. I do record video locally on both the iPad and Galaxy, and always fly with the HD set to Normal (720p) and the Mavic set to 2.7K/30.

I do have a spectrum analyzer that can measure this, but it's not easy to measure 2.5 GHZ accurately in the near field with antennas. Better to measure direct, but I don't know how fair a test that would be without the Mavic connected. I'm willing to give it a shot - just need to come up with the proper parameters to make the test. BUT, I can say that I feel "zero" difference in range performance between .400 and .700 at this juncture. More tests this week as I can find the time. I have several pet spots that I fly that challenge the range performance and I know their behavior on .400. Testing all of them on .700 ought to give me a good idea of any problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cut.Aussie
Flew 2 batteries today after upgrading to 700. All was good until I suddenly lost video feed and the RTH button was presented. I was only 50 feet away from the drone.
I was forced to land and after a restart of Go on my iPhone 7 video feed was restored.
This has never happened before.
Regarding the gimble obstruction issue during boot up it is seems to be gone now. This is very nice. I also noted that the gimble tilt issue is highly improved.

They are going to get a crap load of complaints when it's gone but you can be sure that it will be gone within the next 2-4 weeks. I honestly do not know what I am going to do when I get the goggles. I doubt they will work with .400 but luckily I can upgrade and downgrade to .400 anytime I need to thanks to BorisTheSpiders testing of the VMware snapshot backup.

Rob

BorisTheSpiders testing of the VMware snapshot backup

1) I would like to stick to 400 for as long as possible, where can I get a copy or backup of this VMware snapshot that you speak of.
2) In the future, if I purchase a second brand new Mavic Pro, will I be able to use the aforementioned Vmware snapshot to always revert to 400?

Flew 2 batteries today after upgrading to 700. All was good until I suddenly lost video feed and the RTH button was presented. I was only 50 feet away from the drone.
I was forced to land and after a restart of Go on my iPhone 7 video feed was restored.
Regarding the gimble obstruction issue during boot up it is seems to be gone now. This is very nice. I also noted that the gimble tilt issue is highly improved.

I think video lost error quite common. What I usually do is plug out the USB cable (connect to rc) and plug it back.

Sometime restart the Go Apps the video feed did not return ;(

Did you get any interference before you lost the video feed as in the below :

I think video lost error quite common. What I usually do is plug out the USB cable (connect to rc) and plug it back.

Sometime restart the Go Apps the video feed did not return ;(

I have many incidents of video link cut off after interference (as seen in the link below). And the only way to get it back is to land the Mavic and restart everything i.e. the Mavic, the RC and the DJI Go 4.
This happened after I upgraded to 0.600 and persist with 0.700.

I hope the goggles do work on the old firmware i ordered a pair in april but wont be updating my mavic at all :)

1) I would like to stick to 400 for as long as possible, where can I get a copy or backup of this VMware snapshot that you speak of.
2) In the future, if I purchase a second brand new Mavic Pro, will I be able to use the aforementioned Vmware snapshot to always revert to 400?
You need to create it yourself using the instructions linked further up, people won't distribute theirs because of personal account information etc.

It probably would work on another Mavic, but someone would likely have to try to be sure.

Tried .700 with Hangar 360. Couldn't do it at noon, as it should be done (when the sun is up in the sky) as it was cloudy back then. But the result is quite good! ****, that Mavic shoots up in the sky, just like in Sports mode; Hangar surely did some upgrades since I last used it! Photo shooting & processing takes a lot less as before! Here's today's result: Hangar 360 pano with .700

Hi I have just installed this app, obviously you have to put the bird into wifi mode to use this but I was wondering how do you take control of the bird to bring it back home ?

Hi Bristolboy76; I did not use wifi; just the standard RC connection between remote controller and drone. It has to fly 90 meters above ground (that's the optimal height for taking good 360 spherical pics), so linking via wifi connection would not have that range.
After finishing the 23-24 pictures, the app asks you whether you want the app to land the drone to the takeoff spot, or you want to fly (via joysticks) a little more; it's up to you.
(Pushing the Sports mode button is the quickest & safest way to interrupt the autonomous program; just in case something unexpected happens)

Why did you recalibrate? Did you had warning message.?

I have read whenever you update to recalibrate.
Also RTH landed 3-4 feet off. Thought I may have had a poor calibration the last time.
As I said though I think it may have been the bright sun reflecting off my plywood landing pad.
After 8 batteries had perfect landings and no gimble reset. So I don't know for sure if it was sun or calibration.

Updated to .700 from .400 on Friday and flew 3 batteries Saturday and 3 on Sunday and no problems at all. also tried DJI GS and that worked well. Flew local and out to 1.5 miles without any problems. Also flew with 4 planes that were on 2.5ghz and no interfeerence. My Mavic is a late November 2016 model.

IOS 4.04 on an iphone 6 Plus.

BTW I don't know why people think 4.03 is the proper match for .0400
From DJI release notes it says 4.04 for iOS and 4.02 for Android.
Not that it really matters since they all seem to work.

Rob

Is it not true that the app versions can not be rolled back, or is it possible?

I currently have 4.0.7 installed. I had asked you because I was trying to find out if there was #1...a benefit to using one version over the other. And #2...if was a bad idea to say use GO4 4.0.8 with .0400?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972