DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AA Gate Attendant forced me to Check Mavic.

And the coin drops. This isn't a item issue, it's a baggage size issue.
IMG_0103.GIF
There was no problem with the size of the carry-ons.

The Gate Attendant told my wife that her soft sided bag wouldn't fit under the seat. It fit easily. It was a connecting flight, a 757, they all have similar under seat storage.:rolleyes:

Then, Gate Attendant falsely claimed there was no room in the overhead for my bag.

IMG_0498.JPG
I was in row 24, and there were two completely empty overhead bins after the door closed.

If there wasn't room, I'm sure the Flight Attendant would have found a safe place aboard rather than have lipos in the baggage.

The flight crew might have been more concerned for everyone's safety than the Guard at the Gate.;)

View attachment 12337
There was no problem with the size of the carry-ons.

The Gate Attendant told my wife that her soft sided bag wouldn't fit under the seat. It fit easily. It was a connecting flight, a 757, they all have similar under seat storage.:rolleyes:

Then, Gate Attendant falsely claimed there was no room in the overhead for my bag.

I was in row 24, and there were two completely empty overhead bins after the door closed.

If there wasn't room, I'm sure the Flight Attendant would have found a safe place aboard rather than have lipos in the baggage.

The flight crew might have been more concerned for everyone's safety than the Guard at the Gate.;)

This isn't about bag size, it isn't about the overheads being full, it is only about on-time departure...

I fly a ridiculous number of times each year and pretty much always on AA.

The GA is monitored and her performance assessed based on her ability to get the aircraft pushed back on-time.

Net result is that they will do almost anything to avoid the issues that can delay push-back.

One thing that delays them is a last minute need to take carry-on bags off the plane and put them in the hold.

So they get proactive and tell standby and often the last group to board that they must check their bags long before the cabin crew notify them that space is running out...

If you talk to the cabin crew, they hate this sort of thing because it leaves them with grumpy passengers for the duration of the flight and lots of complaints when passengers board and see the empty bins.

I've complained to AA management about it as have others, and it will have no effect because it does get the planes out of time...

Personally I never have problems though as due to my crazy number of flights I get free upgrades to first on all domestic flights and even if that doesn't clear I still board right at the start so my bag always gets on with me, but I still hear them telling the last groups to go ahead and check their bags before they have even finished boarding my group at the start...

So the lesson here is try not to be in the last group to board and definably don't fly standby if having your bag with you is important.

This isn't about bag size, it isn't about the overheads being full, it is only about on-time departure...

I fly a ridiculous number of times each year and pretty much always on AA.

The GA is monitored and her performance assessed based on her ability to get the aircraft pushed back on-time.

Net result is that they will do almost anything to avoid the issues that can delay push-back.

One thing that delays them is a last minute need to take carry-on bags off the plane and put them in the hold.

So they get proactive and tell standby and often the last group to board that they must check their bags long before the cabin crew notify them that space is running out...

If you talk to the cabin crew, they hate this sort of thing because it leaves them with grumpy passengers for the duration of the flight and lots of complaints when passengers board and see the empty bins.

I've complained to AA management about it as have others, and it will have no effect because it does get the planes out of time...

Personally I never have problems though as due to my crazy number of flights I get free upgrades to first on all domestic flights and even if that doesn't clear I still board right at the start so my bag always gets on with me, but I still hear them telling the last groups to go ahead and check their bags before they have even finished boarding my group at the start...

So the lesson here is try not to be in the last group to board and definably don't fly standby if having your bag with you is important.

Great post, @mark_t,

I totally understand the goal is to have the push on time. I have flown on many carriers and that is nothing new.

Having flown only six flights with AA, I have limited experience with them. None of our departures were on time. If that's how their Gate Attendants are graded, why would anyone want that job? :eek:Sheesh, maybe that explains her demeanor!:(

The problem they've exaborated is by charging for checked bags, they extend the boarding process unnecessarily. I have never seen a slower boarding or de-boarding process on any other carrier. The only thing missing is using more antique aircraft like Aligent.:eek:

I don't have air miles or hundreds of extra $$$ to upgrade, nor would I on American Airlies.

I just had a nice call from their Customer Service. They're sending a claim form, lets see how that goes.:) Very polite young man, he couldn't say how he would feel having checked lipos on his flight.:rolleyes:

The gate agent does not want to gate check bags. More work for everyone, and displeased passengers, and they sure don't do it because they are in a bad mood, as has been claimed.
They do that when the flight attendants call them from the jet bridge and tell them there is no more room.
Nor are the bags "dropped" from 20 feet. They go down a spiral chute that minimizes stress on the bags. I've seen this a thousand times.
The easy thing would have been to take the drone out and carry it on.

The problem with all these news items about airline confrontations is that they are always one sided. There is always another side. For instance, that silly news item about the Argentine mom being thrown off with her kids has an entirely different side.

File your claim and be done with it.

They do that when the flight attendants call them from the jet bridge and tell them there is no more room.

Unfortunately in the case of AA at least, the GA are not waiting to be asked...

The GA are making the announcements that all standby passenger will have to check anything that will not fit under the seat, before boarding even starts.

They are telling people that if they are in the last group or two they will also probably need to check carryon before they even finish boarding group 1.

I'm usually sitting up front in the first couple of rows and I've seen a FA and a GA nearly come to blows over this when the FA challenged the GA as to why passengers were complaining about being forced to check bags when there was still space on the plane and she had not called to say they were short of space.

This has gotten worse over the last year or so unfortunately.

Reactions: Fplvert
Did she know you had rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries in your backpack? If she did, then FAA and airline guidelines clearly state you are not permitted to check those items. BTW- I use a Pelican Air case for travel with zero issues carrying onboard. Good luck.

Reactions: Dragonfly1
Sounds like a case where calling for a supervisor is necessary. Under no circumstances should a flight attendant have allowed lipos in checked luggage. She was negligent and irresponsible.

That's why I always use my Mavic shoulder bag when flying. Pretty much at my side the entire time, and they can't have me check it because it is a "personal" item.

Yup. Just saying "lipo" should be enough, though. No way an attendant should knowingly allow lipos into checked baggage area.

Yup. Just saying "lipo" should be enough, though. No way an attendant should knowingly allow lipos into checked baggage area.

While that is true, they do still have the option to deny boarding and move you to the next flight...

If you are flying with battery packs, or fragile/expensive items that you really can't tolerate being checked in, always have a plan B, even if it is only a plastic bag that you can transfer the items into.

If the overheads really are full and you play the lipo card, you may find yourself on the next flight without plan B.

I've seen that scenario play out with someone protesting that they had expensive jewellery in their bag. They were given the choice, remove the items or wait for the next flight.

It is just a case of brinkmanship and seeing who blinks first.

If the overheads really aren't full then you may get past the problem by resisting, but if they really are full then they are not going to remove someone else's bag to let you onboard so just use good judgement when handling the situation.

Best tactic is still avoidance, do what you can to not be in the last boarding groups and don't fly standby when carrying this sort of stuff.

Does the Nanuk 920 fit under the seat?
The United 757-200 plane features an under-the-seat depth of 17 inches, a height of 10.5 inches and a width of 20 inches. United allows carry-on baggage to be no larger than 22 x 14 x 9.

Nanuk 920 Waterproof Hard Case for DJI Mavic (Graphite) features Also Fits Radio Controller & Smartphone, Holds Four Batteries / Charging Hub. ... Exterior Dimensions, 16.7 x 13.4 x 6.8" / 424 x 340 x 173 mm.

Looks like a go!:)

The United 757-200 plane features an under-the-seat depth of 17 inches, a height of 10.5 inches and a width of 20 inches. United allows carry-on baggage to be no larger than 22 x 14 x 9.

Nanuk 920 Waterproof Hard Case for DJI Mavic (Graphite) features Also Fits Radio Controller & Smartphone, Holds Four Batteries / Charging Hub. ... Exterior Dimensions, 16.7 x 13.4 x 6.8" / 424 x 340 x 173 mm.

Looks like a go!:)

Fplvert,

Thanks for taking the time to answer, I appreciate it.Thumbswayup I want to make sure I don't have any issues when I fly out tomorrow. At first I was going to put my stuff in my DJI-like bag, then put that in my soft-sided carry-on luggage. I would then have a bag with my most used items on the plane as my personal item. After the post that started this thread I rather use my Mavic hard-case. Not that my carry-on luggage is too big or anything but it is soft-sided. Also, it seems like the airlines are having a hard time being polite to their customers lately. Who is at fault is not my concern really, I just don't want to be on the short end of the 'have a nice flight' stick. LOL ;) I have battery bags too just in case they ask.

You were probably right to check the bag and not argue, sounds like you would have been denied boarding. Get written rules regarding how AA treats Lipo batteries, (pretty sure they will say have to go in carry on)

Write your letter, quote their own policy, demand a full refund for you mavic. Keep copies of everything, you send and recieve from them. If you don't get you refund, at least you will have another airline story to tell....

Well, it happened in Dalas Fort Worth,Texas. A Airline Attendant threatened to kick me and my wife off the plane if we didn't check our carry-ons.

We were flying to Punta Cana, DR. She had a soft bag that contained our IPads, headphones and snacks. It easily fit under the seat. I had my Mavic and it's gear in a small backpack which I stowed in a hard side, wheeled carry-on. It fit easily in the overhead.

The Gate woman said we would NOT be on the flight if we didn't comply with her orders. My wife took off and got on board. I waited at the gate and tried to explain that her bag fit easily under the seat. She wouldn't listen and threatened to remove her and me.

I didn't want to argue, and thought if I told her it's not legal to check lipos into baggage, that would certainly end with us kicked off. She put a claim sticker on my bag and kicks it down the baggage slide. It hit the ground hard. I dreaded what might have happened to my drone.

What really pisses me off, is American Airlines charges $25.00 for each checked bag, hence people pack way too much in carry-on. We each had one checked bag, and one carry-on. Her checked suitcase arrived missing its wheels. My forced check-on, my Mavic Pro, had damage to the gimbal, the clip and dome were both broken, and the gimbal was protruding out past the metal retaining clip.

Lesson here, at least in my case, I should have pulled the drone out of the hard case and checked the empty hard case. I would not fly on American Airlies again.

Man...things are getting pretty rough with air travel.

I print off a copy of my FAA registration, take my batteries and put electrical tape around the contacts, then put each batt in a separate ziplock back in my Pelican case. Like others have already said, print off the airline requirements for travel with Lithium, and I also have printed copies of the FAA guidelines as well. When/if they snag you at security or the gate, if you show that you are well prepared and have taken precautions, the likelihood of them preventing you to board is pretty minimal. In the end, it is all up to the PIC, Captain. If you are professional and don't act like a jerk trying to get a video on YouTube, then everything should work out fine.

I have never been stopped, or even questioned when traveling with my drone in my hard case. I have been stopped when I had my laptop in with my Ipad in the same backpack. That bag they pulled and had me re-pack, and my drone case went through right behind it with no issues!

You were probably right to check the bag and not argue, sounds like you would have been denied boarding.

It is never going to be 'right' to check lipo packs into the hold, no matter what the circumstances.

If required to check your carry-on bag into the hold , it is important to tell the GA you need to remove a few items that can't be checked in and do just that using the plastic bag or similar that you brought with you just in case... :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure