DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude maximum workaround

I have the same requirement. One spot I fly at has a large mountain less than a mile away, but I can't reach the top of the mountain- I can only fly up to the mountain side. At no time am I more than 200 feet above ground level, but I reach 1638 feet when closing in on the mountain. I'm pretty sure it's a no-brainer to actually reach 3100 feet above launch point, but alas we will never be allowed to do that.

I'm curious what is the baro reference altitude for the MP? The takeoff position? What if you fly up to the mountain (~1600ft) and land somewhere then takeoff again? Does it mean a new ref altitude or it is measured upon power up?

I'm curious what is the baro reference altitude for the MP? The takeoff position? What if you fly up to the mountain (~1600ft) and land somewhere then takeoff again? Does it mean a new ref altitude or it is measured upon power up?
I was just typing the exact same thing when I looked up and saw your post :rolleyes:. I always thought it was 1600 ft above the takeoff point.

from home point I believe. According to the specs in the manual, the hard ceiling is 16404 feet (5000 m) above sea level, up where Grandma hides the cookies.

Bummer on how the ceiling height limit works. In final stages of making the buy decision on the MP, my first drone. I live in northwest Wyoming which is very mountainous and planned to use the MP for scouting routes up mountains and avoiding getting cliffed out or other obstacles. When Scouting routes relatively easy to stay within a 1000 ft of the ground/slope below the MP at at any given point in time, but would easily exceed the 1600 ft from limit from take off. Suppose the work around would be to scout the route in stages, ascending to new take off points to increase the max elevation. Not easy as many routes will have 3,000 to 6,000 ft total elev gain from starting point. IS there a definitive answer to how the max elevation is determined for a flight? ( start point vs immediate elevation from the terrain below the MP)?

Yepp I'm really excited about this. I can not try it right now because of the airspace above me, but if the Mavic gets a new reference altitude during takeoff or with setting a new home point, then it might be a solution for many pilots out there around the mountains (obviously not for everybody).

This would be easy to test out very safely.

I will test when I get the MP and would advise unless someone has already done it/knows/posts. Was hoping to understand in advance of the purchase and then the learning curve to use the MP to do this. This point of interest not critical to buying the drone just making plans for its use this summer

I'm in the EU and perfectly aware of the airspaces and classes, so FAA or any other CAA will not be knocking on my front door for sure. I'm asking for the same reason as it was discussed before. If I want to get over high terrain, it would be nice to do it with this technique. Never exceeding 400 feet above ground level so nothing is compromised.

I did the upgrade also and it set everything back to default,,well after that I wentback and set mine back to my settings and they worked but one thing was my iPad video coming back was delaying or jerky almost freezing up for a few seconds, so I like the older FW.
My iPad does the same thing, freezes and jerks around plus it says cpu on viewing device max..how did you cure that? thanks Thomas

Who said you can't fly higher than 1600ft !!!
Think out of the box

Get a rocket with a launcher
Tie your MP to it with height release mechanism
Turn on the MP
Launch the rocket
Start the propellers of the MP
Enjoy flying above the cloud

You're welcome

Just be sure it's not an ACME Co. rocket...

I'm in the EU and perfectly aware of the airspaces and classes, so FAA or any other CAA will not be knocking on my front door for sure. I'm asking for the same reason as it was discussed before. If I want to get over high terrain, it would be nice to do it with this technique. Never exceeding 400 feet above ground level so nothing is compromised.

You can fly 400 feet above a structure in the US. So if there is a radio tower that is 1200 feet, you can go 1600 feet legally, as long as you aren't in airspace that is restricted or requires an authorization

Reactions: copterbob
Step 1: You figure out how to go above 1,500'

Step 2: You take it out for a flight.

Step 3: FAA is knocking on your front door
Haha. What a dream World you live in. You think the FAA has the resources or man power to knock on everyone's door who break the height limit even if they could somehow detect that you did?

How would they prove you were the one flying? You have a party at your house with ten friends and everyone was flying the Mavic. You think they could determine who was flying when the "Law" was broke? You think they could prove that in Court even if they have the time and resources to come after you?

You watch to many movies bro. I work for a large department and let me tell you, we are stained to the max and have to hire 100 more cops just to keep up. The barbarians are at the gate and we can hardly keep things in check sometimes. You would **** your pants if you knew how tenuous society truly is or knew the real stats on crime in your area.

But, somehow the Feds have enough man power to knock on doors of drone operators. Haha. Good luck bro.

So ive been flying my bird for 8 months and 60 flights, was at a nice steep ,Mountain, clearly higher than 500 meters. I have the altitude limit set for 500 meters. Launch "phoenix", go straight up and hit a 1000 ' limit, like hitting a ceiling. Why????? Thanks for any feedback.

Not to mention there is no 400 foot limit in the US anyways for hobbyist flight.

Reactions: copterbob
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman