DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am I allowed to carry the drone with me on an international flight?

Dafar

Reactions
What are the rules in terms of flying with the drone? Is it allowed? Will I have trouble in security?

I don't want to put it in my heavy luggage because it's a delicate thing, and I've had expensive **** stolen from my heavy luggage in international flights.

Have you guys traveled with the drone? Just asking before I get put on the terror watch list...

Yes as long as you obey your carrier's regulations regarding where batteries need to be carried. Be aware of the destination country's laws as some countries where drones are restricted have been known confiscate them at customs.

Reactions: Robbyg
You can check it with the air line. I believe you can carry it with you in the air plane. You can wrap your additional batteries indivisually, and carry them with you too.

You should have no trouble with carrying your drone with you. Be sure to have fireproof bags for your lipo's though.

As a career airline pilot, I'm always amazed at the responses to these things.
There are two issues.
First is you carrier's rules, and be mindful that if there's a cancellation, you may end up on a different carrier.
Second, there's custom's rules for the country of entry and the country of return.
Far smarter to check those rules out than to ask the question and base a decision on responses on this forum, as none of the respondents are going to be there with you.

As a career airline pilot, I'm always amazed at the responses to these things.
There are two issues.
First is you carrier's rules, and be mindful that if there's a cancellation, you may end up on a different carrier.
Second, there's custom's rules for the country of entry and the country of return.
Far smarter to check those rules out than to ask the question and base a decision on responses on this forum, as none of the respondents are going to be there with you.

I don't get it. How is your answer really any different than the first answer that he got from Kilrah? He listed the same two things you did! The only thing new that you added is that he may have to switch carriers which IMHO is a very rare occurrence.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
I don't get it. How is your answer really any different than the first answer that he got from Kilrah? He listed the same two things you did! The only thing new that you added is that he may have to switch carriers which IMHO is a very rare occurrence.

This...

I was trying to get a sense of what I need to be aware of, or if carrying drones were completely ok with no problems at all. I think I got my answer

Reactions: Bzzz
I just returned on a trip to Africa. I had zero issues both in the states, London Heathrow or Jomo Kenyatta and Wilson Airport in Kenya. Yes, I know Kenya has strict drone laws but I knew the areas where I wanted to fly were either private or were extremely remote. I received permission from the proper authorities where I flew. In fact all TSA agents in Wyoming and New York were very keen on seeing it. As were the agents in London. As usually customs in Kenya didn't bat an eye (used to live in Nairobi so I knew it would be easy).

Just make sure to drain all your batts to 20%-30% and carry them on. I put the props in my checked baggage just in case they thought they were too sharp.

I posted it because there are numerous posts after the first response that do not address the issues.
These things come up frequently here. There was a posted question a couple days that mentioned Brazil, Paraguay and Chile, three countries I have traveled to hundreds of times. The answers you get here are not binding. I have seen things confiscated and never returned countless times, though they are quite legal to operate, and have gotten through many times prior.
You absolutely need to know two things about doing this sort of thing, and that has never been mentioned.
First, the rules of operating the thing.
Second the rules of bringing it in, on both sides.
Those are completely separate issues, and you are not going to win at customs if there's an agent that is not on your side..
Their people. Their rules. Their laws. Their courts.

I just returned on a trip to Africa. I had zero issues both in the states, London Heathrow or Jomo Kenyatta and Wilson Airport in Kenya. Yes, I know Kenya has strict drone laws but I knew the areas where I wanted to fly were either private or were extremely remote. I received permission from the proper authorities where I flew. In fact all TSA agents in Wyoming and New York were very keen on seeing it. As were the agents in London. As usually customs in Kenya didn't bat an eye (used to live in Nairobi so I knew it would be easy).

Just make sure to drain all your batts to 20%-30% and carry them on. I put the props in my checked baggage just in case they thought they were too sharp.

Thanks for the info... and good idea about the props and battery... I think i'll put them all in the checked luggage

Reactions: pj02502
Thanks for the info... and good idea about the props and battery... I think i'll put them all in the checked luggage
Just always check with your airline. I think usually it's better / safer to keep batteries in carry on.

Ya definitely carry the batts on. If anything goes wrong at least they can extinguish them. In the hold, nope.

Reactions: CivamRop
I'm pretty sure the safest place for the batteries, is with you in your carry on. Most airlines will not allow you to check baggage containing Lipo's, and I wouldn't want to be on a plane that has Lipo batteries in the cargo hold(not that I would know for sure anyway).

Also remember that the cargo is usually kept in much lower temperatures (about 7°C AFAIK) than the cabin. If you like your batteries, you don't want to keep them in low temperatures for long flights. Carry on is always better and safer.

Also remember that the cargo is usually kept in much lower temperatures (about 7°C AFAIK) than the cabin. If you like your batteries, you don't want to keep them in low temperatures for long flights. Carry on is always better and safer.

I'm pretty sure the safest place for the batteries, is with you in your carry on. Most airlines will not allow you to check baggage containing Lipo's, and I wouldn't want to be on a plane that has Lipo batteries in the cargo hold(not that I would know for sure anyway).

Oh snap.. didn't even think about that.

So heavy luggage is out of the question... I guess I will have to find out if the places I'm going to has issues with drones.

Another question...

Will I still get the GPS connection if I take it to third world countries?

I don't wanna have to battle the drone to keep it hovering in place... definitely wanna fly it on GPS. It should be worldwide but just making sure

So heavy luggage is out of the question... I guess I will have to find out if the places I'm going to has issues with drones.

Another question...

I don't wanna have to battle the drone to keep it hovering in place... definitely wanna fly it on GPS. It should be worldwide but just making sure
Global Positioning System and Global Navigation Satellite System is spotty in 3rd world countries. It is a bit better in developing nations but works best in 1st world countries ;)

Another question...

I rarely calibrate the compass. Been flying all over Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona and never re-calibrated since my first one at home in Wyoming. I did a cal on the coast of Kenya and all went well, no problems at all. Just look at your Mods, if you feel a need to calibrate do so if they look good just fly.

Reactions: calibrated
What are the rules in terms of flying with the drone? Is it allowed? Will I have trouble in security?

I don't want to put it in my heavy luggage because it's a delicate thing, and I've had expensive **** stolen from my heavy luggage in international flights.

Have you guys traveled with the drone? Just asking before I get put on the terror watch list...

Depends on many things. The pilot of the plane has the last word. Even if you follow all rules and/or regulation.

Your batteries must be charged to a certain minimum %. The must be individually packaged, in a special packaging. There are other rules and regulations that you should read on with the airline and the country youre going to.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78