DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AMA announced as the first FAA recognized CBO.

Err! As a Limey and one who gets over the pond as often as Covid and other afflictions allow, should I be worried about bringing my MA2 next April? Am I going to have to jump through some new hoops-I have Trust and registration with FAA and have grappled successfully with LAANCs etc? If any of you have a mo would value clarification. Promise I won’t quote you if I am approached by an Officer.

Carry your TRUST Cert, have your FA# on your craft, and follow the rules for your TRUST Cert.
(Important also: Aviation laws compliant to carry your Lipos on the planes to get here).

Safe & Legal flying, is legal and safe. 😀

It would be worth your while to watch this PI video. Greg explains the AMA CBO. Not good!!!
FAA trying to sneak network remote ID with approval of modules like the dronetag mini which was suspicious. Isn't that considered contempt of a court ruling?

CBOs without the remote ID are the policing arm that the LEOs are with remote ID.

2016-03-26-1459007002-9035322-DealornoDealsat.1.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
It would be worth your while to watch this PI video. Greg explains the AMA CBO. Not good!!!
Just watched this myself. There is no way I could find all of their regulations to adhere to them. This is simply insane. What a convoluted mess. Prior to approving the AMA did the FAA even attempt to find this information from the perspective of a drone pilot? Is this an intentional manouver to thawrt hobiest drone flight? I'd love to editorialize further but they our local trolling word fuzz would just delete my post anyway.

• Wow
I doubt you will encounter any problems as long as you are flying in a drone friendly area.

I'm a Welshman living in the US so I am concerned about going back home for a holiday next year and flying back in the UK.
You should be fine but just check the CAA Drone website well before you arrive. We are not as advanced as our US friends on requirements. You do need insurance of course and local Councils don’t seem to like drones so there are very few Authorised locations on Council land.

Good morning to all- I expect that it's just me and my grumpy old man outlook, but if we ever get to the point where drone fliers are limited to recognized "areas" and boundaries where we can legally fly, I expect my drones will be for sale or donation.
First, there are no such "areas" anywhere near my location, and knowing the way things are done here in the Great State of Alabama, there never will be. And a very big part of the joy in flying a drone is getting to explore and see places that can't be seen from ground level. Take that joy away, and what's left? Putzing around in a visually limited "field" with crowds of others?
Sounds like a little piece of hell to me.

I don't expect to ever be subject to such draconian flight limiting regulations, and anyway, I never paid much attention to foolish and unfounded rules.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Good morning to all- I expect that it's just me and my grumpy old man outlook, but if we ever get to the point where drone fliers are limited to recognized "areas" and boundaries where we can legally fly, I expect my drones will be for sale or donation.
First, there are no such "areas" anywhere near my location, and knowing the way things are done here in the Great State of Alabama, there never will be. And a very big part of the joy in flying a drone is getting to explore and see places that can't be seen from ground level. Take that joy away, and what's left? Putzing around in a visually limited "field" with crowds of others?

I don't expect to ever be subject to such draconian flight limiting regulations, and anyway, I never paid much attention to foolish and unfounded rules.

Crossed my mind too. I have no crystal ball, no predictions. I would however be with you in dumping the hobby. For me it's all about doing documentary/reality videos and having ariel footage to mix in. So here's an interview with this farmer and here's an arial shot of some model airplane event..... say what? No need for a micro four thirds camera for sure just to get videos and pictures of the same grass and as you mentioned bystanders. Nope, no interest in that whatsoever.

• Wow
Seems like part 107 is going to be the easy way out of the CBO mess the faa has required over complicating (but still have to do remote id either way)
For most maybe. I bought the course over a year ago and although I have learned a lot there is no way at my age I am going to remember all of those terms and acronyms to be able to pass a test. Just something else I used to do before the government got involved. There a lot of those things.

• Sad
For most maybe. I bought the course over a year ago and although I have learned a lot there is no way at my age I am going to remember all of those terms and acronyms to be able to pass a test. Just something else I used to do before the government got involved. There a lot of those things.
Depends on which course you ordered, if Gregs at Pilot Institute they claim that 98% pass when following their guidelines (such as being able to get 80% on the mock exam), and I think you only need 70% or better to pass. Plus they provide you with the testing supplement during the test which has things like legends and what not.

Depends on which course you ordered, if Gregs at Pilot Institute they claim that 98% pass when following their guidelines (such as being able to get 80% on the mock exam), and I think you only need 70% or better to pass. Plus they provide you with the testing supplement during the test which has things like legends and what not.
I bought Greg's course. Good course for sure. Regardless, no go for me.

Not impossible - I took the same course and scored a T-shirt when I took the test last summer and I am older than you. Give it a go - you might surprise yourself.

That is hilarious! Another end run around in the constant infighting within government. I can't even find all of AMA's guidelines let alone print them out. Maybe I can set ISO certified as well to ensure through regular audits the ability to demonstrate proper and best practice methodologies of procedure management and adherence! Now we're having fun! Right? As in recreational?

Crossed my mind too. I have no crystal ball, no predictions. I would however be with you in dumping the hobby. For me it's all about doing documentary/reality videos and having ariel footage to mix in. So here's an interview with this farmer and here's an arial shot of some model airplane event..... say what? No need for a micro four thirds camera for sure just to get videos and pictures of the same grass and as you mentioned bystanders. Nope, no interest in that whatsoever.

I think most, (myself included) feel as you do. I flew RC for years and the burden of finding a field, joining the AMA then joining a club seems pointless, burdensome and expensive to a typical drone flyer. I agree.

That said, no one is saying we have to; now or in the future. Only those who (for whatever reason), don't want to comply with RID, will have FRIA's as an option.

The AMA safety code is a a hobbled-together patchwork of documents that has been evolving since rubber band-powered toy models took to the sky. They (AMA) never envisioned models over 55 pounds. They never envisioned turbine powered models flying in excess of 200 MPH. They never envisioned FPV and they certainly never envisioned the explosive growth of drones. Their website is full of broken links not because they are trying to make it difficult but rather out of incompetence

The AMA is stuck in the mid seventies but because they ran model aviation pretty well for over 70 years, the FAA has appointed them the first CBO and now they will struggle to catch up.

If I were solely a recreational flyer, I would simply download the FAA Document AC 91-57C and print it off. It is seven pages (six if you don't count the feedback mail in form at the back) and read it a few times and keep with me when I fly and make sure I am within those guidelines. If ever asked by an LEO or FAA official to provide what rules I am following, I would tell them that I am following the FAA's safety guidelines for recreational fliers.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4