DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AMA announced as the first FAA recognized CBO.

KI5RLL

Reactions
So those of us who are already long-standing AMA members, got this email yesterday.
So there is progress in this front finally!
We will see what happens with this. I expect a lot of information to be coming soon on a lot of topics. And we can finally expect some declarative answers, at least we can hope.
Progress!
2935B790-E280-4658-859E-1E7335222B58.jpeg

Ok, for another $75 a year (I'm over 65) I can be legal again? Am I getting this right?

Ok, for another $75 a year (I'm over 65) I can be legal again? Am I getting this right?

Legal again? I'm not sure I'm following your logic there.

Legal again? I'm not sure I'm following your logic there.
My perception was that once CBO's were available as a drone pilot I had to join one and adhere to their guidelines as a part of being a legal pilot under FAA regulations.

I can not answer that as yes or no. Depends on what you plan and want to fly.
Will leave a direct answer to that for the other members here. There shall be debate, soon.

Here’s what we know so far:
AMA can now apply for FAA FRIA for club flying sites. A great many flying clubs do require AMA Membership to fly there. They can apply for FRIA now. So that operators/pilots can fly in those FRIA sites and be FAA legal (under FRIA rules).
Yes many flying fields DO require AMA membership to be a member of their flying field and club to use it. Like the flying field I am a member with. But I only fly fixed wing there now because we have a great runway and facilities there.
So as an AMA member, you would have access under FRIA there to fly at an AMA site, once that field is FAA FRIA certified/registered/listed or whatever they plan to call it.
If you plan and want to fly in a FRIA site yourself.
Other Forums members and pilots—input please?

Safe Flying,
KI5RLL

Reactions: SmilingOgre
According to Section 44809, a recreational drone pilot must be able to identify which CBO's safety guidelines they are operating under should they be asked by an FAA representative or law enforcement officer.Jul 18, 2021

I can not answer that as yes or no. Depends on what you plan and want to fly.
Will leave a direct answer to that for the other members here. There shall be debate, soon.

Here’s what we know so far:
AMA can now apply for FAA FRIA for club flying sites. A great many flying clubs do require AMA Membership to fly there. They can apply for FRIA now. So that operators/pilots can fly in those FRIA sites and be FAA legal (under FRIA rules).
Yes many flying fields DO require AMA membership to be a member of their flying field and club to use it. Like the flying field I am a member with. But I only fly fixed wing there now because we have a great runway and facilities there.
So as an AMA member, you would have access under FRIA there to fly at an AMA site, once that field is FAA FRIA certified/registered/listed or whatever they plan to call it.
If you plan and want to fly in a FRIA site yourself.
Other Forums members and pilots—input please?

Safe Flying,
KI5RLL
What is an FRIA? Just another eieio or something important?

My perception was that once CBO's were available as a drone pilot I had to join one and adhere to their guidelines as a part of being a legal pilot under FAA regulations.

You do not have to join the AMA to adhere to their guidelines. You just need to know them and follow them as a recreational drone pilot.

If, on the other hand you wanted to join an AMA-affiliated club so you could use their facilities - then at that point you would join the AMA first, and then join that club to fly on their field.

You do not have to join the AMA to adhere to their guidelines. You just need to know them and follow them as a recreational drone pilot.

If, on the other hand you wanted to join an AMA-affiliated club so you could use their facilities - then at that point you would join the AMA first, and then join that club to fly on their field.
Wow and Shew! Happy to read this. The extortion fees were getting greater all the time. I can do this.

According to Section 44809, a recreational drone pilot must be able to identify which CBO's safety guidelines they are operating under should they be asked by an FAA representative or law enforcement officer.Jul 18, 2021
I printed and use the FAA's own guidelines

Reactions: Cymruflyer
I printed and use the FAA's own guidelines

That's a good idea up until now for sure. I have my registration and my trust certs with me. According to Greg (pilot institute) and I am paraphrasing, the FAA wants to dodge being the center point for guidelines and push the responsibility on these "being created" CBO's. Now that there is one, it is incumbent upon us to be able to cite it as our set of guidelines. So I guess until something else comes along I'll do just that. "Why yes officer, I follow the AMA's guidelines in all my activities. No officer that is not the American Medical Association. No officer that is not the American Motorcycle Association. No officer........."

I feel like I'm watching an old WW2 movie. "Your paperwork please"

Last edited:
This guy is the best!!!! Sent Greg an email and in less than 15 minutes he replied:

You do not. The guidelines MUST be available for free. If the AMA (or any future CBOs) asks you to pay to get access to the guidelines, they need to be reported to the FAA.
With that said, I would personally wait for other guidelines to be published before making a decision. We have reviewed the AMA guidelines and they are VERY lengthy and clearly not designed for quadcopters. We will be reporting on this tomorrow in News Update.

Is explained in the OP email pasted above.
FAA Recognized Identification Area.
It is regarding Remote Identification implementation and requirement coming soon.

Is explained in the OP email pasted above.
FAA Recognized Identification Area.
It is regarding Remote Identification implementation and requirement coming soon.

Basically, for our purposes, FRIA's are going to be AMA sanctioned flying sites or club fields, where drone pilots as well as RC pilots will be allowed to fly theirs aircraft without RID. These will be fixed flying site's that have applied for this designation and all flights must be contained in the outlined geographical boundaries of the site to be in compliance.

Only recognized CBO's and educational institutions will be allowed to apply for this designation.

As I mentioned; if in the future you want to fly at one of these spots, you would then need to join the AMA and then join the individual club that operates the FRIA.

Please cite your source for that. I haven’t read that yet.
Yes that would become a problem in time I see what you are saying.

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
I just read their safety guidelines and it seems pretty kosher to me. Not sure why everyone is getting bent.
I dont have to become a member just agree to the following.:

Pretty much except the last one: I will use an established safety line to separate all model aircraft operations from spectators and bystanders.

If I'm going to do that I'm also going to start drawing body outlines to make sure they stay away.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian