DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another Mavic lost failed to RTH

Have uploaded correct file 2017-02-12. Loss of control starts at 2 min, 7.8 sec.

Last edited:
I've tried a couple of times, unsuccessfully, with a few layers of aluminium foil. I do plan to try again, but have yet had the chance to do so.

I haven't tried it, so maybe making it sound too easy. Thickness should not matter, coverage (area) matters. These consumer GPS sensors are over sensitive to a fault - that also means they'll track the slightest leak of signal or body-multipath that gets in there. Might actually need to open up the Mavic and disconnect the GPS from the main board (if possible). Too much work for me!

Such GPS receivers are "bad" from an aviation design POV. Certified aviation receivers are far less sensitive in order to avoid interference, multipath or over-saturated correlators. The later 2 contribute to position error. Since airborne receivers fly in the most benign of possible signal environments there is no need for over sensitive receivers. Hmm, new thread to start soon.

Consumer grade receivers have to be over sensitive in order to work in cars, urban canyons (higher error), jacket pockets, purses, etc. The receiver in the Mavic is such. Hmm, maybe need to lightly spray some copper over the GPS area to reduce its signal a little...

Hang on. To be clear, you need a PC (Windblows or Mac) version of iTunes to get the data off of the iPad or iPhone. You don't need iTunes in the iPad or iPhone. There's no need to remove apps like iTunes from your iPad. Just ignore them.

Yes, it takes a certain level of masochism to be an Apple user. But in exchange you get to spend more money.
Thanks for the help. Was able to get to the files.

I'm not particularly interested in any one incident. I'm more interested in a broader observation. I watched a case of a fly-away on YouTube. I have been reading about them on this forum. I was under the impression if the machine lost signal... it would initiate a RTH sequence... problem over. The fly-away syndrome is troubling and going to keep me from buying, sadly - love to own one.
I have not really read about many fly away examples at all. For how many Mavics are out there many are doing great.

DJIFlightRecord_2017-02-12_[12-19-15] Mavic crashed. lost control at 2 min. 7.8 sec. 15 sattelites, Kp index 2

I guess I should call my Mavic "Qantas" because my Mavic never crashed. [emoji6]

Last edited:
Reactions: Emu
WOW>.. good luck with the claim! My experience so far with DJI has been horrible! Too bad, such great products and HORRIBLE customer service. Please keep us posted on your progress and good luck. Maybe you can coach the next person on how to deal with them if you get good results.

Horrible Service Indeed. Will do.

Always check your home point after takeoff.
I am sure it was my fault but after reviewing one of my flights I noticed that the home point was marked about 30 meters from my RC location. This was one of my first flights and I was/am a total noob but that taught me to always check. Also not a bad idea to hover about 3 meter and check things out... camera, home point, listen to motors.....before jetting off to 400' AGL and 2 miles away.

There was a post from someone who had that same problem. It turns out he switched the Mavic on in his bedroom and RTH position was set in his house.

So she wasnt responding to the app or controller? Never rely on the app. I got a useful tip 3 days ago on here that saved my drone when my app crashed. They said take the remote and look at the distance. Move the drone around till you see the distance rapidly decrease meaning its heading back to you.

I practice that maneuver on the flight simulator. I'll fly the Mavic out of sight and then make small turns; fly toward until the distance decreases on the remote.

I am withholding purchase based on this reported problem.

fDgYGCL.png

I am withholding purchase based on this reported problem. I'm shocked I have heard of uncommanded fly aways and consequently losing your machine. Before I go forward with buying the Mavic can anyone share how big is this problem?
I really don't think the problem is very big at all, most fly aways are operator error ( not setting it up right before flight ) for all the thousands of Mavic's sold these problems are a tiny tiny percentage of the machine I really wouldn't worry, they are the greatest thing to own and fly such brilliant pieces of engineering

Reactions: Falcon1az
Sorry about your loss. It went down right near my cousin's house.

Don't withhold purchase!
I don't work for DJI !
My magic is great!
You have to set the defaults and Gps coordinates from where you take off . And there won't be a problem. It will come home to papa every time.
If you have Mavic loses connection you can set it to come home - hover - or land
This fellow must have set his to land if there was a problem - and it landed in the water.
Like any good robot it did what it was programmed to do.
There are a lot of YouTube videos for beginners that help you learn about first flights and how to program it properly so it won't crash or runaway it is very sophisticated and fantastic.
I received my Mavic last fall and I am loving it.
Don't be discouraged just take the plunge.
Matt ✌

Bought one... ordered Wednesday night. Amazon... DJI Store. Kinda odd it hasn't shipped yet. All the other items I ordered (accessories) have shipped. Its been 4 days.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman