DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another Mavic lost failed to RTH

For my 'SA' (situational awareness)... ATTI mode is stabilized or not? I was thinking ATTI mode was gyro stabilized (no GPS input) for pitch, roll, and yaw.

Biggest mavic tip if drone is going away with wind in atti mode or the app crashes look at the distance from you on the remote. Manuver the drone untill the distance rapidly falls indicating the drone is heading back toward you. Keep in mind to be at a safe height.

Reactions: AyeYo
For my 'SA' (situational awareness)... ATTI mode is stabilized or not? I was thinking ATTI mode was gyro stabilized (no GPS input) for pitch, roll, and yaw.

Yes, ATTI starts after the IMU's have finished initializing, usually before GPS acquires.

Where do you set the RTH location? This seems like a VERY VERY important step that can't be overlooked

After power up of the drone, when GPS acquires, the Home Point is set (immediately after takeoff). That is the RTH Home Point. This can be changed after take off, but it's a good thing to leave that alone until you have more experience. (I've never bothered myself).

Reactions: RamiAgonistes
I think it is unfair, therefore, for enthusiastic new pilots to be told "If you're incapable of flying in ATTI mode, you should not be flying" when the expensive product they've bought into does not allow them to learn. I thought these forums are better than that.

These forums are pretty damned good. You get the collective experience of a lot of people who have done-that-got-the-tee-shirt. I couldn't be happier than with this bunch of mugs. I've learned a lot and tossed back what I can to help others.

Reactions: Scapegoat and AyeYo
How should I practice flying in ATTI mode on a MavicPro?

You don't. Like Cyberpower said, you buy a $50 Chinese knock-off drone that can be blasted into the ground with no damage. Then you fly, crash, fly, crash, fly until you've become 100% proficient in rate mode. Once you can fly in rate mode, you can fly any DJI product with your eyes closed.

Think of ATTI mode as self-leveling mode. In atti mode, your stick input controls the attitude of the quad - hence the name.
i.e. (depending on settings), if you push the right stick 50% forward, you get 50% forward pitch angle and you must hold it there to maintain that angle. Let go of the stick and the quad goes back to level. It's flies just like GPS mode, but without the position hold.

Compare this to rate mode on a race quad, where your stick input controls the rate of transition, not the attitude - i.e. 50% forward on the right stick makes the quad rotate forward at 50% of possible forward rotation speed and it will continue to rotate forward, including flipping upside down and coming back around again and again, until you let go of the stick. When you do let go of the stick, the quad does not self-level, but rather it holds whatever position it was when you let go of the stick, even if that position is perpendicular to vertical or upside down.

Reactions: Falcon1az
I think it is unfair, therefore, for enthusiastic new pilots to be told "If you're incapable of flying in ATTI mode, you should not be flying" when the expensive product they've bought into does not allow them to learn. I thought these forums are better than that.

What does fairness have to do with anything? You don't go out and buy a helicopter and expect it to teach you how to fly.

After power up of the drone, when GPS acquires, the Home Point is set (immediately after takeoff). That is the RTH Home Point. This can be changed after take off, but it's a good thing to leave that alone until you have more experience. (I've never bothered myself).

Always check your home point after takeoff.
I am sure it was my fault but after reviewing one of my flights I noticed that the home point was marked about 30 meters from my RC location. This was one of my first flights and I was/am a total noob but that taught me to always check. Also not a bad idea to hover about 3 meter and check things out... camera, home point, listen to motors.....before jetting off to 400' AGL and 2 miles away.

Reactions: Falcon1az
Always check your home point after takeoff.
I am sure it was my fault but after reviewing one of my flights I noticed that the home point was marked about 30 meters from my RC location. This was one of my first flights and I was/am a total noob but that taught me to always check. Also not a bad idea to hover about 3 meter and check things out... camera, home point, listen to motors.....before jetting off to 400' AGL and 2 miles away.

Straight up to 10 m for 5 seconds. Let the cameras make nice stereo images of the ground. Adjust video settings while waiting.

... and never start the motors unless GPS is solid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emu and jedijurist
What does fairness have to do with anything? You don't go out and buy a helicopter and expect it to teach you how to fly.

Actually, your helicopter analogy could be used to argue the opposite... You don't expect the chopper to teach you how to fly, but you most definitely will need training in that particular type of helicopter. And just because you know how to fly one particular chopper well, does not automatically mean you can jump into the pilot seat of any chopper and be able to fly it proficiently. You will know all the basic principles, but you won't know the unique characteristics of that chopper. If you've only ever flown a two-seater piston engine chopper, I imagine flying a Chinook without any further training would be a bit of a challenge. There's a reason why pilots are required to train and be certified for different types of aircraft. Pilots aim to train to the point where every action and reaction should be second nature. We don't wait for a situation to come up and then try to learn as we go.

It's the same with flying quads in ATTI mode. I'm capable of flying a Phantom in ATTI mode, or even a tiny toy quad, and yet I really wish there were a way to manually fly the Mavic in ATTI mode. I've read many stories about the Mavic's erratic behavior in ATTI mode, so I somewhat dread the day that mine suddenly drops into ATTI mode, because I'm not really sure what to expect.

I think it's very reasonable to want to have the ability to practice our Mavics in ATTI mode in a control environment.

Reactions: MDSH
Actually, your helicopter analogy could be used to argue the opposite... You don't expect the chopper to teach you how to fly, but you most definitely will need training in that particular type of helicopter. And just because you know how to fly one particular chopper well, does not automatically mean you can jump into the pilot seat of any chopper and be able to fly it proficiently. You will know all the basic principles, but you won't know the unique characteristics of that chopper. If you've only ever flown a two-seater piston engine chopper, I imagine flying a Chinook without any further training would be a bit of a challenge. There's a reason why pilots are required to train and be certified for different types of aircraft. Pilots aim to train to the point where every action and reaction should be second nature. We don't wait for a situation to come up and then try to learn as we go.

It's the same with flying quads in ATTI mode. I'm capable of flying a Phantom in ATTI mode, or even a tiny toy quad, and yet I really wish there were a way to manually fly the Mavic in ATTI mode. I've read many stories about the Mavic's erratic behavior in ATTI mode, so I somewhat dread the day that mine suddenly drops into ATTI mode, because I'm not really sure what to expect.

I think it's very reasonable to want to have the ability to practice our Mavics in ATTI mode in a control environment.

Mask the GPS with metal tape. Just don't fly out of sight. P-mode recommended.

I have a feeling you don't know how to access the TXT file either based on the quoted post above.
Hi folks. I use iOS devices and haven't had to upload files for analysis yet (knocking on wood) but experimented around with the Healthy Drones app, which the YouTube link above mentions. I also have a Mac computer but the disk is full and I don't believe I could even download files or anything else because of space issues. I haven't had luck with the Healthy Drone app as it crashed whenever I tried synchronizing flights.

So my question is, if I ever need to upload a flight data, can I do it on my iPhone or iPad? If not, and if I have enough space on my Mac, who would I send the file to if not using Healthy Drone app? I imagine you would just attach it when you post on the forum, but I'm not sure. Thanks for any help and safe flying to everyone.

So, after skimming through these 5 pages, is it safe to assume @Smoke Life never posted his txt file, or provided an update?

I am withholding purchase based on this reported problem. I'm shocked I have heard of uncommanded fly aways and consequently losing your machine. Before I go forward with buying the Mavic can anyone share how big is this problem?

Don't withhold purchase!
I don't work for DJI !
My magic is great!
You have to set the defaults and Gps coordinates from where you take off . And there won't be a problem. It will come home to papa every time.
If you have Mavic loses connection you can set it to come home - hover - or land
This fellow must have set his to land if there was a problem - and it landed in the water.
Like any good robot it did what it was programmed to do.
There are a lot of YouTube videos for beginners that help you learn about first flights and how to program it properly so it won't crash or runaway it is very sophisticated and fantastic.
I received my Mavic last fall and I am loving it.
Don't be discouraged just take the plunge.
Matt ✌

So she wasnt responding to the app or controller? Never rely on the app. I got a useful tip 3 days ago on here that saved my drone when my app crashed. They said take the remote and look at the distance. Move the drone around till you see the distance rapidly decrease meaning its heading back to you.
Absolutely! My app crashes occasionally. Using a rooted Nexus 6P. Anyhow, had a similar situation where I was far away and the app showed "disconnected". Tried to do RTH from the app and it shows "aircraft will land at it's current location"! Oh hell no! I canceled that. It would have been lost! I got nervous but then gained my composure. Looking at the actual controller display, I realized that it was still connected to the Mavic. I then hit the RTH button on the controller and I was happy to see the distance was going down and I got er' back. The app never reconnected on that flight. Moral of the story, don't rely on the app. Remember that the app is a great addition to what the controller does, but the Mavic is connected to the controller, not the app. Also, for anyone that will be flying over water, get this! GetterBack Rod Recovery System with Black Velcro Strap, Yellow Amazon.com : GetterBack Rod Recovery System with Black Velcro Strap, Yellow : Fishing Reel Care Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

Last edited:
Reactions: tfrank48
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_