DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another Mavic lost failed to RTH

Before I go forward with buying the Mavic can anyone share how big is this problem?
Until we see a log, we don't know if this issue was caused by a pilot error or a malfunction.

I am withholding purchase based on this reported problem. I'm shocked I have heard of uncommanded fly aways and consequently losing your machine. Before I go forward with buying the Mavic can anyone share how big is this problem?

As I mentioned above. These fly aways are usually pilot error.

Until we see a log, we don't know if this issue was caused by a pilot error or a malfunction.

I'm not particularly interested in any one incident. I'm more interested in a broader observation. I watched a case of a fly-away on YouTube. I have been reading about them on this forum. I was under the impression if the machine lost signal... it would initiate a RTH sequence... problem over. The fly-away syndrome is troubling and going to keep me from buying, sadly - love to own one.

I'm not particularly interested in any one incident. I'm more interested in a broader observation. I watched a case of a fly-away on YouTube. I have been reading about them on this forum. I was under the impression if the machine lost signal... it would initiate a RTH sequence... problem over. The fly-away syndrome is troubling and going to keep me from buying, sadly - love to own one.

Like I said, most cases of instances are pilots not knowing how to properly operate the drone and try to blame the Mavic for the failure when in reality it's really something the pilot did wrong, like misconfigure the drone.

Reactions: royalhghnss
I'm more interested in a broader observation. I watched a case of a fly-away on YouTube. I have been reading about them on this forum.
You should pay special attention to the outcome of each case you're seeing. Almost all of them are the result of some type of pilot error.

Reactions: AyeYo and Flyboy36
You should pay special attention to the outcome of each case you're seeing. Almost all of them are the result of some type of pilot error.
And in the end, many of these operators of the "fly aways" come to grips with the fact they were responsible. Been on this forum long enough to see it. I'd really like to see the data on this particular flight.

Broadly speaking, what are the top 1 or 2 pilot errors you're seeing? A friend bought one - I flew it this weekend. Looks crazy simple to me. I race drones, have built up 2 other drones, 1 for my GoPro, I fly it with DJI Naza Lite. The Mavic was going to be my first DJI drone. But until I'm comfortable I know where this system problem lives (Mavic, Phone (IOS or Android), pilot error), I can't send off around $1300. Who could blame a guy?!

Reactions: Budmancan
Broadly speaking, what are the top 1 or 2 pilot errors you're seeing? A friend bought one - I flew it this weekend. Looks crazy simple to me. I race drones, have built up 2 other drones, 1 for my GoPro, I fly it with DJI Naza Lite. The Mavic was going to be my first DJI drone. But until I'm comfortable I know where this system problem lives (Mavic, Phone (IOS or Android), pilot error), I can't send off around $1300. Who could blame a guy?!

Misconfiguration of RTH and taking off in Atti mode resulting in the drone not being able to return home.

I am withholding purchase based on this reported problem. I'm shocked I have heard of uncommanded fly aways and consequently losing your machine. Before I go forward with buying the Mavic can anyone share how big is this problem?

The Mavic is great. But not 100 percent
Don't let this bother you. This is a result of not going over everything prior to ever putting the aircraft in the air. Without looking at any data we're left with speculation. In that case I would guess that he unknowingly touched the upper left corner of the screen and took the app offline. Or, my other guess would have to do with not calibrating the remote controller from the app itself. And one actual fact is, he never setup the failsafe option that comes into play when connections become lost. The option allows you to set the aircraft to either Land, Hover, or Return To Home. The default setting is set to Land.

**** lots of negative thinking directed towards the pilot here. I'm looking for positive vibes here. I only calibrate when its in red. Failsafe is always set to RTH and avoid obstacle. I sometimes always touch. She just hovers until I reboot. Thanks for nothing.

Reactions: Higgy
Misconfiguration of RTH and taking off in Atti mode resulting in the drone not being able to return home.
Have there been a lot of documented problems with the machine? Or are pretty much all the problems you see revolve around those 2 issues?

If your'e scared, you definitely should wait! The only thing is, you're only going to hear about things gone wrong, not gone right. You may be waiting for a while....

Have there been a lot of documented problems with the machine?
Like all of DJI's other aircraft, it's a pretty reliable aircraft. And, like all of DJI's other aircraft, it's very technical. Many people are just not that into reading, understanding, and following the Mavic manual.

Reactions: GlenT
Exactly ;)

If your'e scared, you definitely should wait! The only thing is, you're only going to hear about things gone wrong, not gone right. You may be waiting for a while....
I'd like to buy this and take it with me. Planning a trip to Europe in May coming up. I'd hate to be in a situation, away from familiar surroundings (home), and have something like a fly-away happen. I'd like to fly it near unique structures or landscapes with complete confidence. Any lingering, unresolved issues... yeah, scare me. Wisdom I guess.

That and foolishly flying in excessive winds and ignoring the on screen warnings.

I've only seen 2 instances of actual machine errors causing crashes.

Do you happen to recall the 2 instances of machine errors? What were they and if DJI has addressed them?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eastoncrafter