DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any Negative RID experiences so far?

Torque

Premium Pilot
Reactions
South of Seattle & North of Tacoma, Washington
Drone Tracking apps have been out for at least a few months. Equipped drones have been broadcasting RID for just over a month now.

Anyone have any verifiable personal stories or links to other stories of pilots being confronted by angry drone haters? Any guns drawn? Fist to cuffs with anyone? Police tracking you?
Or are those types holding off until March 16th? Is it Y2K yet?

RID hasn't lured anyone to me yet.

Most people get lured by the drone itself, usually when you take off/land and see you with the drone in your hands, or if you fly VLOS or FPV with the drone nearby.

That's why I always recommend taking off from at least 300m away from the place you want to fly, in Europe can still be considered VLOS up to 500 meters, but if you have the drone in FCC and don't mind breaking the VLOS rule, the optimal flight is usually performed from 1 to 2 Km, taking off from a place away from people and with a nice line of sight of the place you want to take video/pictures from.

That way, chances of being interrupted are really low, specially if you just fly one battery and move to another location.

Ofc some superkarens will have the app running all day long, but it's not the usual case. The usual case is hearing the drone, and then search for the pilot nearby with their eyesight.

On the other hand, if someone uses the karen app and sees that you are at 2+ Km, chances that they get there to confront you are really low.

In any case, never confront, deescalate asap, make the fool a bit and that's all. I'd recommend wearing a can of pepper spray just in case an aggressive karen finds you, but all drone related confrontations should be easily deescalated by playing the fool a bit, smiling and showing some of the pics you were doing.

Like Yevgeny Zamyatin wrote on We, "Here I saw, with my own eyes, that laughter was the most terrible weapon: you can kill anything with laughter - even murder itself."

Last edited:
I have no idea how many people have tracked me down with RID, I'm sure the confrontation to non-confrontation use of RID will be 1000 to 1 and most don't end up that way. It's hard to say since many of the RID apps don't work so I think we need to give it a year or two or three before we call it. As I mentioned in another thread, the word is not out (regardless of the dates) and so you probably won't have a lot of usage but social media comes into effect and all of a sudden, tracking drones via RID is a thing. Right now, all pretty quiet (meaning the normal amount, not an increase). The date only means something when the news starts saying "As of last week (March), all drone are required to...." and then it becomes important. Most pilots and most citizens have no idea about the dates.

Would be nice if I could see my file and see if there are any complaints logged or any reports (I guess I could FOIA the info). As I keep saying, I'm not a very approachable person and certainly not from a confrontation standpoint so I don't expect a lot. But I'm also not so selfish to believe because it doesn't happen to me it can't happened to the next person. I'm looking out for the entire community, not just myself and my own privilege.

Reactions: Rob Stevenson
In any case, never confront, deescalate asap, make the fool a bit and that's all. I'd recommend wearing a can of pepper spray just in case an aggressive karen finds you, but all drone related confrontations should be easily deescalated by playing the fool a bit, smiling and showing some of the pics you were doing.
I completely agree with you about de-escalating any confrontations, taking the high road, and being cool. But, I cannot agree that a drone pilot needs to use pepper spray on a nosey woman who aggressively complains about them flying a drone.

I have no idea how many people have tracked me down with RID, I'm sure the confrontation to non-confrontation use of RID will be 1000 to 1 and most don't end up that way.

That's totally speculative hyperbole without basis in fact.

RID and the tracking apps have been available for quite a while. If there were hoards of people itching to use their cell phones to track down and confront drone pilots, I'd think that someone would have spoken up about it in the online drone community.

Last edited:
I have been flying since 2008 and I have had only one or two confrontations. Both were handled by providing information to the enquirers. I have not had any confrontations in the last 3 years and I average 5 to 10 photo shoots a week.

I completely agree with you about de-escalating any confrontations, taking the high road, and being cool. But, I cannot agree that a drone pilot needs to use pepper spray on a nosey woman who aggressively complains about them flying a drone.

That's totally speculative hyperbole without basis in fact.

RID and the tracking apps have been available for quite a while. If there were hoards of people itching to use their cell phones to track down and confront drone pilots, I'd think that someone would have spoken up about it in the online drone community.
That's what I meant, in the future for every 1000 RID detections, likely fewer than one will end with a confrontation. If we don't have thousands of RID detections per week, why the heck did the FAA implement this $50 million science project? So nobody would use it? C'mon starting near year, we have to expect tens of thousands if not more instances of RID detection by "somebody." If not, I just don't get it.....

When someone mentioned using pepper spray on someone, it doesn't mean to shut to them or stop them from being nosy. Think about if a daughter or grandchild or a family member would spray some creep....this is what we mean, we are in the same situation as they are when they feel they have to do it. We don't spray people because we hate them or they won't mind their own business.

Reactions: Dave Maine
That's what I meant, in the future for every 1000 RID detections, likely fewer than one will end with a confrontation. If we don't have thousands of RID detections per week, why the heck did the FAA implement this $50 million science project? So nobody would use it? C'mon starting near year, we have to expect tens of thousands if not more instances of RID detection by "somebody." If not, I just don't get it.....

When someone mentioned using pepper spray on someone, it doesn't mean to shut to them or stop them from being nosy. Think about if a daughter or grandchild or a family member would spray some creep....this is what we mean, we are in the same situation as they are when they feel they have to do it. We don't spray people because we hate them or they won't mind their own business.

Ok, good. I wouldn't put a number on it, but I agree that few RID detections will result in confrontations.

I don't understand what you mean by drone pilots carrying pepper spray being similar to "a daughter, grandchild, or family member" spraying a "creep." Every woman on Earth is a daughter. Everyone on Earth and every drone pilot is a grandchild and family member. What's your point?

We don't spray people because we hate them or they won't mind their own business.
Who is "we?" Drone pilots packing bear spray and riot gas grenades?

Again, I am not so frightened by the possibility of negative encounters with people while flying a drone that I need to carry a weapon or even a can of pepper spray. YMMV. But, there's simply no rational history to support such a fear and no basis I see for projecting a rash of violent attacks in the future. On my personal fear scale, Karen and drone thief attacks rank far, far below my gas water heater blowing up, being abducted by aliens, or a Y3K breakdown of civilization.

Back on topic.
You haven't actually heard of any instances yet then?

Ok, good. I wouldn't put a number on it, but I agree that few RID detections will result in confrontations.

I don't understand what you mean by drone pilots carrying pepper spray being similar to "a daughter, grandchild, or family member" spraying a "creep." Every woman on Earth is a daughter. Everyone on Earth and every drone pilot is a grandchild and family member. What's your point?

Who is "we?" Drone pilots packing bear spray and riot gas grenades?

Again, I am not so frightened by the possibility of negative encounters with people while flying a drone that I need to carry a weapon or even a can of pepper spray. YMMV. But, there's simply no rational history to support such a fear and no basis I see for projecting a rash of violent attacks in the future. On my personal fear scale, Karen and drone thief attacks rank far, far below my gas water heater blowing up, being abducted by aliens, or a Y3K breakdown of civilization.
Pepper spray is a defensive weapon and just like any other people who carry it, there is no viable offensive application. It's a tool for everyday use, it's not just for flying drones, it has little or nothing to do directly with flying drones. I wouldn't get wrapped up into pepper spray too much, it's not this nefarious tool you think it is. Here are some practical applications relevant to this thread:

"Sir, turn that camera off, you don't have my permission to record me."
"No thanks, leave me alone."
Karen reaches over to snatch your camera away and turn it off herself because she feel she has the right to and instead gets a face full of OC spray.

You land your drone and karen marches up to your drone and goes to pick it up while saying "Your flying over my house and I'm going to keep your drone for the police."
Just before she puts her hands on your drone, a blast of pepper spray causes her to refrain from touching what isn't hers.

This is a lot better than slapping away hands or pushing someone or blocking or tackling them. I guess you can just let them go ahead do whatever they want to you but unfortunately that's just not me. Mace works much better than going hands on. You should see the person who gets bless with the hot sauce. 🤣

Can we just stay on topic please. I didn't imply that pepper spray cannot be used as an offensive weapon. A pencil can be used as an offensive weapon. I'm saying a drone pilot who carries pepper spray does so primarily as an defensive tool and when used, it is almost certain to be deployed in a defensive scenarios since it has no real use or practical application as an offensive tool for someone flying drones. That's all I meant, can we just stay on the topic please? :)

Reactions: djwak59
I'm planning on talking to myself very loudly and arguing with myself while shaking my head back and forth with an occasional grab to the middle of my back while shouting "Get off me!" (thanks to Steve Martin for that one). I think that should do the trick.

Pepper spray is a defensive weapon and just like any other people who carry it, there is no viable offensive application. It's a tool for everyday use, it's not just for flying drones, it has little or nothing to do directly with flying drones. I wouldn't get wrapped up into pepper spray too much, it's not this nefarious tool you think it is. Here are some practical applications relevant to this thread:

Karen reaches over to snatch your camera away and turn it off herself because she feel she has the right to and instead gets a face full of OC spray.

You land your drone and karen marches up to your drone and goes to pick it up while saying "Your flying over my house and I'm going to keep your drone for the police."
Just before she puts her hands on your drone, a blast of pepper spray causes her to refrain from touching what isn't hers.

This is a lot better than slapping away hands or pushing someone or blocking or tackling them. I guess you can just let them go ahead do whatever they want to you but unfortunately that's just not me. Mace works much better than going hands on. You should see the person who gets bless with the hot sauce. 🤣

Well, now.
  • Pepper spray "is a tool for everyday use."
  • Pepper spray has "practical applications" relevant to flying drones.
  • You would attack a woman with pepper spray because she told you not to film her and you read her mind to discover that she believed she had a right to take your camera and reached out her hand.
  • You would attack a woman with pepper spray because she said she was going to take it and extended her hand.
  • Pepper spray has a safety device that prevents it from being used as an offensive weapon.
  • You use a "rolling on the floor laughing" emoticon to comment on the pain experienced someone who was sprayed with mace.
You and I aren't even close to being on the same page or having the same fears.

Pepper spray. Meh. Bear spray. That should do it.

Reactions: mobilehomer
You and I aren't even close to being on the same page or having the same fears.
Correct, you and are not on the same page. You are not prepared to carry and use pepper spray and that's fine, not everyone is ready for that. And I don't blame anyone who wants to but it's a shame that one would fault anyone who does. In many states where people don't have a lot of rights, pepper spray is the last means for self-defense. I'm not in one of those states so I have many options. At this point, pepper spray is the less than lethal option so you don't have intent to maim or kill anyone, it's just a deterrence to stop you from doing whatever nonsense you're up to. It's pretty effective and when applied against the person who deserves it, it's sorta laughable. It is never used on honest, law-abiding citizens but when you spray the criminal, you would be shocked how effective it is.

Let's recap:
  • Pepper spray "is a tool for everyday use." Correct, if you live in a state that limits your options and you are interested in your own self-defense, pepper spray is likely your EDC or every day carry. You take it everywhere you go and that includes when you go fly your drones.
  • Pepper spray has "practical applications" relevant to flying drones. These are simple examples but they apply to any situation whether you are flying your drones, using your camera equipment, talking on your cellphone, etc.
  • You would attack a woman with pepper spray because she told you not to film her and you read her mind to discover that she believed she had a right to take your camera and reached out her hand. You only attack with offensive weapons. If I deploy pepper spray it is in a defensive manner and you'll likely regret what you just tried to do. You won't be attacked but you will be rebuffed. If you tell me not to film and then you reach for my gear, the law says I don't need to read your mind. Not a big fan of the law anymore, are you? 😂
  • You would attack a woman with pepper spray because she said she was going to take it and extended her hand. No I don't attack, I would defend myself against anyone who says they are going to take my equipment and then reach for it. If that person could choose, I'm almost positive they would choose for me to spray them. 🤣
  • Pepper spray has a safety device that prevents it from being used as an offensive weapon. Not sure about what exactly is available but I do know this: My pepper spray is strictly for self-defense. I don't carry police tear gas or bear spray....just ordinary non-lethal spray that is very likely to cause a criminal to stop his criminal ways.
  • You use a "rolling on the floor laughing" emoticon to comment on the pain experienced someone who was sprayed with mace. Don't get caught up in mace; mace is a good thing. It's not lethal and it works very well and in most place, it's legal. The laws are very clear as well unlike other methods.

Tell me this isn't funny:

So far it looks like no one has had a bad experience due to RID. I think most people are to lazy to add an app to monitor drones. Remember they have to be running the app to see you. It's easier to look into the sky.
A fellow forum member pointed out the typical process: Look into the sky, see the drone. Then pull up the app and locate the pilot. Proceed to them and depending on what you see determines how you will react. Probably won't happen a lot but it will happen.

Correct, you and are not on the same page. You are not prepared to carry and use pepper spray and that's fine, not everyone is ready for that. And I don't blame anyone who wants to but it's a shame that one would fault anyone who does. In many states where people don't have a lot of rights, pepper spray is the last means for self-defense. I'm not in one of those states so I have many options. At this point, pepper spray is the less than lethal option so you don't have intent to maim or kill anyone, it's just a deterrence to stop you from doing whatever nonsense you're up to. It's pretty effective and when applied against the person who deserves it, it's sorta laughable. It is never used on honest, law-abiding citizens but when you spray the criminal, you would be shocked how effective it is.

Let's recap:

Tell me this isn't funny:

It's not a matter of not being prepared to spray women with pepper spray. It's a matter of not being driven by irrational fears to perceive a dangerous threat requiring be to arm myself when flying a drone.

As for those videos, no I'm not particularly amused by drama queen "auditors" with bad facial hair seeking attention by posting videos of themselves as righteous heroes.

Let's touch base in six months and examine the number of attacks on drone pilots by RID tracking app users. So far, the count is zero. I see nothing to afraid of. YMMV.

In both these cases – as described above – you would likely be charged with assault and advised by an attorney to take a plea.

Let's touch base in six months and examine the number of attacks on drone pilots by RID tracking app users. So far, the count is zero. I see nothing to afraid of. YMMV.

I'm not clear why we need to wait another six months when there's already been 18, and...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147