DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any Negative RID experiences so far?

It's not a matter of not being prepared to spray women with pepper spray. It's a matter of not being driven by irrational fears to perceive a dangerous threat requiring be to arm myself when flying a drone.

As for those videos, no I'm not particularly amused by drama queen "auditors" with bad facial hair seeking attention by posting videos of themselves as righteous heroes.

Let's touch base in six months and examine the number of attacks on drone pilots by RID tracking app users. So far, the count is zero. I see nothing to afraid of. YMMV.
There is no such thing as going armed to go fly a drone. We are always armed regardless of what we do. You will just happen to get swept up in a bad situation should you assume that someone who is going to fly their drone may disarm themselves because it is "not necessary" as so you decide to attack thinking there are no reprecussions. It would be an unfortunate hard lesson to learn otherwise.

So far the count that I am aware of is zero attacks. I don't know how many confrontations there are but likely many hundreds already and it's nearly impossible to determine if it based on RID or not. The data isn't tracked so six months from now, don't expect any factual data. If only you were so zealous about the importance of a zero deaths/zero injuries from drone flights as you are about zero attacks/zero confrontations. You support numerous laws and sanctions that go way overboard to protect the skies and keep the public safe (understandable) and keep that number frozen on zero for as long as humanly possible but you frown upon anyone who would exercise their Constitutional rights to keep the attack number to zero as well.

Since I am flying my drone to inspect roofs, in most cases, by the time anyone would think to search for my RID signal and find me, I would like have landed already. In most cases, I am only flying for 5~10 minutes at a time for most homes.

I was really hoping this thread would be able to stay on topic and produce some results. Instead it has been taken over by a forum member's personal paranoid The-Sky-is-Falling predictions of the future. Once again.
900.000 drones have been registered with the FAA, and I can only recall a handful of threatening encounters, and one that resulted in death (the Utah story).

I probably should have waited for 6 months to pose the question, but I really doubt that RID is going to make much of a dent in our hobby/profession.

The paranoia surrounding RID is something I have a hard time understanding.
Was one of the reasons RID was implemented was to help manage air traffic once more delivery drones are sharing the air space?

Sure we can get back to the topic, it's not about me. Yep RID apps don't work, the FAA has moved the deadline in most people's mind, nobody has a module....and you're trying to collect data to make a point? Garbage in, garbage out.

Hopefully the FAA can see the RID is not working as intended (the *other* agenda which is tracking down rogue drones, see-something-say-something, preventing illegal drone flights, etc) and withdraw the whole thing in March since there is no such thing as air traffic delivery management.

I consider FAA letters and contacts based on RID to be no different than when karen confronts. So we shall use the FAA data when it becomes available, those numbers will be included in my answer to "Any negative experiences so far?"

Last edited:
Sure we can get back to the topic, it's not about me. Yep RID apps don't work, the FAA has moved the deadline in most people's mind, nobody has a module....and you're trying to collect data to make a point? Garbage in, garbage out.

Hopefully the FAA can see the RID is not working as intended (the *other* agenda which is tracking down rogue drones, see-something-say-something, preventing illegal drone flights, etc) and withdraw the whole thing in March since there is no such thing as air traffic delivery management.

I consider FAA letters and contacts based on RID to be no different than when karen confronts. So we shall use the FAA data when it becomes available, those numbers will be included in my answer to "Any negative experiences so far?"

• 25 DJI models have built-in RID and have been broadcasting for months. Mini 4, Air 3, all Mavic 3 models, Mini 3, Air 2S ... There are millions of RID-equipped DJI drones in use.*
  • There are RID tracking apps that work just fine, as reported by many users here. I've used DroneScanner several times to identify two of my drones.
  • The FAA deadline for RID implementation was moved only for drones that do not have built-in RID and owners who have been unable to obtain an RID module. For all those DJI drones with built-in RID, the requirement has been in effect for more than a month.
* DJI sales in 2022 were in excess of $30 billion. Assuming an average price of $3000 per drone and 30% non-drone revenue, that conservatively represents 7 million drones sold in 2022 alone.

And no wave of RID-facilitated violence against drone pilots.

• 25 DJI models have built-in RID and have been broadcasting for months. Mini 4, Air 3, all Mavic 3 models, Mini 3, Air 2S ... There are millions of RID-equipped DJI drones in use.*
  • There are RID tracking apps that work just fine, as reported by many users here. I've used DroneScanner several times to identify two of my drones.
  • The FAA deadline for RID implementation was moved only for drones that do not have built-in RID and owners who have been unable to obtain an RID module. For all those DJI drones with built-in RID, the requirement has been in effect for more than a month.
* DJI sales in 2022 were in excess of $30 billion. Assuming an average price of $3000 per drone and 30% non-drone revenue, that conservatively represents 7 million drones sold in 2022 alone.

And no wave of RID-facilitated violence against drone pilots.
But you're asking about karen and her apps and what she hears and does. That's the piece which is severely broken. Retails sales and drone manufacturer RID adoption are doing just fine.

When apps are busted and work for some but don't work for others and they are unreliable, karen will probably reject them and unass them and uninstall the app. You want to take the pulse on a situation where nobody trusts the data, no one is interested in the app, nobody care, and the apps are mostly broken.....and a less than 1% take rate with mostly drone pilots and enthusiasts as early adopters.

As opposed to a great drone tracking app that goes viral that everybody loves and talks about and everybody downloads and everyone want to use because it's easy to understand, it's work on all phones without having to root it, it's user friendly not unfriendly GPS coordinates, it has a button so you can report directly to the FAA should you choose not to confront, it has a link so you can share the data with your friends and even the police, you can attach a photo from your camera, and most importantly you can share it with your friends and data collectors who will store and track your details for future use. This app has a super high penetration rate with millions of downloads and everybody loves it because it works including businesses. I want to take the pulse on the situation when the apps (the center of this issue) are ready.

I'm saying that nothing is happening now because the RID detection playing field is not yet set. You are missing a key piece. It's not fair to give a grade to the RID situation when everything about the apps (and related) are graded a D+. Let's check back in a year, maybe two.

But you're asking about karen and her apps and what she hears and does. That's the piece which is severely broken. Retails sales and drone manufacturer RID adoption are doing just fine.

When apps are busted and work for some but don't work for others and they are unreliable, karen will probably reject them and unass them and uninstall the app. You want to take the pulse on a situation where nobody trusts the data, no one is interested in the app, nobody care, and the apps are mostly broken.....and a less than 1% take rate with mostly drone pilots and enthusiasts as early adopters.

As opposed to a great drone tracking app that goes viral that everybody loves and talks about and everybody downloads and everyone want to use because it's easy to understand, it's work on all phones without having to root it, it's user friendly not unfriendly GPS coordinates, it has a button so you can report directly to the FAA should you choose not to confront, it has a link so you can share the data with your friends and even the police, you can attach a photo from your camera, and most importantly you can share it with your friends and data collectors who will store and track your details for future use. This app has a super high penetration rate with millions of downloads and everybody loves it because it works including businesses. I want to take the pulse on the situation when the apps (the center of this issue) are ready.

I'm saying that nothing is happening now because the RID detection playing field is not yet set. You are missing a key piece. It's not fair to give a grade to the RID situation when everything about the apps (and related) are graded a D+. Let's check back in a year, maybe two.
Your paranoia and imagination have no bounds and seem unstoppable.
Is there a correlation between your join date and the content of your posts?

RID hasn't lured anyone to me yet.

Most people get lured by the drone itself, usually when you take off/land and see you with the drone in your hands, or if you fly VLOS or FPV with the drone nearby.

That's why I always recommend taking off from at least 300m away from the place you want to fly, in Europe can still be considered VLOS up to 500 meters, but if you have the drone in FCC and don't mind breaking the VLOS rule, the optimal flight is usually performed from 1 to 2 Km, taking off from a place away from people and with a nice line of sight of the place you want to take video/pictures from.

That way, chances of being interrupted are really low, specially if you just fly one battery and move to another location.

Ofc some superkarens will have the app running all day long, but it's not the usual case. The usual case is hearing the drone, and then search for the pilot nearby with their eyesight.

On the other hand, if someone uses the karen app and sees that you are at 2+ Km, chances that they get there to confront you are really low.

In any case, never confront, deescalate asap, make the fool a bit and that's all. I'd recommend wearing a can of pepper spray just in case an aggressive karen finds you, but all drone related confrontations should be easily deescalated by playing the fool a bit, smiling and showing some of the pics you were doing.

Like Yevgeny Zamyatin wrote on We, "Here I saw, with my own eyes, that laughter was the most terrible weapon: you can kill anything with laughter - even murder itself."
What apps do people use to do the tracking. Will it show the location of the drone or the location of the controller, or both? I thought I saw an article recently about updating (extending) VLOS in US. I will have to look for that.

Strictly IMHO.
I believe that 90+percent of drone owners in this country don't even know what RID is. (Those of us with P107 and actively participating in the industry and forums do know). Most hobbyists don't register drones. Most hobbyists don't know about VLOS, height restrictions, TFR's etc. The pilot that is breaking those laws isn't going to follow RID laws and buy transmitters for their non-compliant drones.
If they do buy current compliant (Mavic 3s etc.) then they might be in for a surprise visit when flying illegally.
That being said, what makes anybody think that the common person knows about RID, even less about RID drone tracking apps, and even less would have it installed and use it to track down the drone they happen to see flying.
I think that whole scenario is pure nothing burger.

OTOH, LEO will definitely use it to track down a violator at TFR's, crime scenes, fires, etc.
My understanding, though, is that LEO has had drone tracking software capabilities from DJI for a long time, it's just not publicly available.
Opposing opinions are welcome to respond. Lets have a lively conversation!

Strictly IMHO.
I believe that 90+percent of drone owners in this country don't even know what RID is. (Those of us with P107 and actively participating in the industry and forums do know). Most hobbyists don't register drones. Most hobbyists don't know about VLOS, height restrictions, TFR's etc. The pilot that is breaking those laws isn't going to follow RID laws and buy transmitters for their non-compliant drones.
If they do buy current compliant (Mavic 3s etc.) then they might be in for a surprise visit when flying illegally.
That being said, what makes anybody think that the common person knows about RID, even less about RID drone tracking apps, and even less would have it installed and use it to track down the drone they happen to see flying.
I think that whole scenario is pure nothing burger.

OTOH, LEO will definitely use it to track down a violator at TFR's, crime scenes, fires, etc.
My understanding, though, is that LEO has had drone tracking software capabilities from DJI for a long time, it's just not publicly available.
Opposing opinions are welcome to respond. Lets have a lively conversation!
Same thing was said about Waze before it was Waze.

So far it looks like no one has had a bad experience due to RID. I think most people are to lazy to add an app to monitor drones. Remember they have to be running the app to see you. It's easier to look into the sky.
we just have to convince them that the app is tracking the phone and it can control their mind or something...........

Officially, for me the clock starts when the word gets out, not when the FAA printed a date on the piece of paper.

Not talking about paper.

I'm referring to drones transmitting RID, and the availability of smartphone RID apps.

Both have been in place for about a year and a half, the Mini 3 Pro being one of the earliest. Since then, as you well know, via additional new models and firmware, millions of drones have been transmitting RID for some time.

What apps do people use to do the tracking. Will it show the location of the drone or the location of the controller, or both? I thought I saw an article recently about updating (extending) VLOS in US. I will have to look for that.

In Europe it shows the GPS location of the smartphone you use to fly and, if it's not available, the takeoff location. In the USA I think for RID it's mandatory to share the GPS location of the device or else it won't take off.

That's why you have to plug in your smartphone on the FPV goggles 2, or you get the remote ID error and can't take off, but not on the integra goggles, because they have an inbuilt GPS.

You can hunt your drone with OpendroneID or DroneScanner and an android device, both apps are free.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdevyview