DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any Negative RID experiences so far?

@mavic3usa So far there is no evidence that anyone (besides curious drone pilots), are using these "apps". You can make up scenarios all you want and no matter how plausible they seem to you - they have no basis in fact.

Not sure what your true knowledge of drones and RID are, but are you aware that the broadcast modules are not required (they do not), broadcast pilot location? If this is such a hanging point, there are drones you can get that don't have RID natively installed (I have one). You may want to brush up your knowledge on RID?

Sorry but I disagree

I agree and said so in my post. But there have always been confrontations. Heck there were confrontations well before drones with RC aircraft flying at a designated flying site (Now referred to as a FRIA)

Well for one, there is no wide spread proof that this is happening. And as I said - folks who would confront you will do it with or without an app. Or said in a way that many see it - folks that DON'T go around confronting people are not going to stumble across one of these apps and have some zombie-like transformation and turn into these drone hunters you keep speaking of. If there are such idiots - they're already here.
Glad you are completely agree with me! :D

As I read the postings by some of the seriously concerned, I get the impression that the real concern is being exposed to authorities more than Karen.

Yet, authorities are no real concern if you're following the law.

Reactions: Torque and Ty Pilot
As I read the postings by some of the seriously concerned, I get the impression that the real concern is being exposed to authorities more than Karen.

Like this?

I don't dismiss that part of the drone community that, to me, has a valid concern. I refuse to label them as criminals who want to do illegal things with their drone and not get caught.

🤔

.....and you seem to think it will.
I have no idea about the how large or how small the numbers are. Don't really care that much; doesn't matter to me, because I doubt it matters to the person being confronted either.

I said people don't want their pilot location to be revealed and you said something to the effect of get an old drone and attach a broadcast module. So I took that to mean you agreed with me. Are you ok if we demand the RID specification is amended to block the location of the pilot or do you insist that it remains and support the pilot's location must be reveal to anyone in the public who happens to have the app?

The old as time, "I'll do whatever I want to do, and it's only wrong if I think it is".

Don't forget that always, always includes a heavy dose of, "also I expect to benefit from all the workings, production, innovation, and safety of a society that the rest of you make possible; just don't expect anything of me".

Reactions: Torque and Ty Pilot

Yet, authorities are no real concern if you're following the law.
Like this?

Not my battle because I believe RID is here to stay but at the same time, I don't dismiss that part of the drone community that, to me, has a valid concern. I refuse to label them as criminals who want to do illegal things with their drone and not get caught.

Clever you took that out of context. I refuse to label the people who want to see the pilot's location blocked from the public consumption to simply be pilots bent on conducting illegal flights.

The old as time, "I'll do whatever I want to do, and it's only wrong if I think it is".

Don't forget that always, always includes a heavy dose of, "also I expect to benefit from all the workings, production, innovation, and safety of a society that the rest of you make possible; just don't expect anything of me".
I always notice you go attack the person when you run out of ideas. 😂

Are you ok if we demand the RID specification is amended to block the location of the pilot or do you insist that it remains and support the pilot's location must be reveal to anyone in the public who happens to have the app?

I'm not @Ty Pilot, but on this we are in agreement. I can't think of any good rationale for exposing this to the general public, nor have I ever even seen an attempt by the FAA to justify it.

However, I think including this information for law enforcement purposes a good thing.

What's needed is a change in the specification encrypting the information with a key pair that changes regularly, and a law passed that makes it criminal to decrypt this data without authorization – penalties with teeth.

I said people don't want their pilot location to be revealed and you said something to the effect of get an old drone and attach a broadcast module. So I took that to mean you agreed with me.
No. I was simply not sure if you understood all of RID.
Are you ok if we demand the RID specification is amended to block the location of the pilot or do you insist that it remains and support the pilot's location must be reveal to anyone in the public who happens to have the app?

That boat has sailed - the horse left the barn. Whatever you want to call it: built-in RID will broadcast what RID specifies it to broadcast and Pilot location (actually controller location and elevation), will be broadcast by those drones with built in RID.

Me? I am not worried. I've been doing this for about 45 years now and I think I got this. The real question is: why are you afraid?

Do I want this information broadcast so authorities can use it to keep nefarious and rouge operations (that have proven to hurt the drone community BTW), from happening? Yes. Speed the day.

No. I was simply not sure if you understood all of RID.
Ok, now that you know I do, if the pilot takes off with his Mavic 3 from his backyard and flies around teh neighbor, do you think it is ok for one person to detect his flight, use the app to find out where he lives, post his details on the internet? It's a simple question, are you ok with this or not?

That boat has sailed - the horse left the barn. Whatever you want to call it: built-in RID will broadcast what RID specifies it to broadcast and Pilot location (actually controller location and elevation), will be broadcast by those drones with built in RID.
Will you block those who are trying to get the FAA to change the regulations to [something else more acceptable] with regard to transmitting the drone pilot's location?

The real question is: why are you afraid? It's not about me.

Not my battle because I believe RID is here to stay but at the same time, I don't dismiss that part of the drone community that, to me, has a valid concern.
Do I want this information broadcast so authorities can use it to keep nefarious and rouge operations (that have proven to hurt the drone community BTW), from happening? Yes. Speed the day.
Got any proof of this happening? Please use the same standard you try to hold me to with regard to confrontations and karen reportings. I would be happy to review the "nefarious and rogue operations list that is hurting the drone community", please post it here so all of us can read it. As I mentioned, I'm happy to discuss it whenever you are ready:
....let's have the honest discussion on how RID will stop the criminals from flying illegally.

Well, I read through this entire thread and it appears only one other person has had an "encounter" that appeared to be the result of RID. I guess I will make that two of us.

Some months ago I was flying at a large hot air balloon event. There was no TFR and it was held in uncontrolled airspace. The NOTAM was minimal. I flew multiple times over a four-day period. I launched from the other side of a body of water and flew out over the water to get footage. I was always upwind of the field and only flew above the empty body of water, i.e., no boaters, swimmers, etc. beneath me. I was never closer than about 600' horizontally from any balloon. I got some great hyperlapses of ascensions and a bunch of regular stills and video.

One morning I was onsite at 7 am, sent up a drone and saw there was no balloon activity at all at the field. The sunrise ascension had been cancelled it turns out. I was only in the air about three minutes. While I was back in my vehicle packing things away, I heard a drone overhead. I looked up through my windshield and there was what appeared to be a Mavic2Pro sitting directly above me at about 30'. I checked Dronescanner, which I always run just to see if anyone else is in the vicinity (and to make sure my RID is working), and there was nothing other than the residual information about the drone I had just landed. The bogey hovered there for about one minute then flew out of my view. About two minutes later it was back and appeared to start a crude grid search of the area. I never got back out of my vehicle and eventually I left. As I was pulling into traffic on the main road, I again saw the drone. This time it was across the road flying low and slow over a parking lot.

I returned to the event one last time that evening and was airborne for almost two hours with no further sightings, nor did I ever see any other drones on Dronescanner.

I wouldn't call this a confrontation, but clearly I was tracked using RID. There's simply no way someone could have seen my drone from the launch field (I was never closer than 1200'). Also, I had been on the ground for a couple of minutes already when the bogey showed up. If it had been close enough to follow my drone (Mini3Pro which is super-quiet anyway) I surely would have heard it when outside my vehicle.

It is ironic that someone would use RID to track me with a drone that was not transmitting RID itself.

I have long followed the practice of keeping a low profile when flying, so this was a real surprise for me.

Well, I read through this entire thread and it appears only one other person has had an "encounter" that appeared to be the result of RID. I guess I will make that two of us.

Some months ago I was flying at a large hot air balloon event. There was no TFR and it was held in uncontrolled airspace. The NOTAM was minimal. I flew multiple times over a four-day period. I launched from the other side of a body of water and flew out over the water to get footage. I was always upwind of the field and only flew above the empty body of water, i.e., no boaters, swimmers, etc. beneath me. I was never closer than about 600' horizontally from any balloon. I got some great hyperlapses of ascensions and a bunch of regular stills and video.

One morning I was onsite at 7 am, sent up a drone and saw there was no balloon activity at all at the field. The sunrise ascension had been cancelled it turns out. I was only in the air about three minutes. While I was back in my vehicle packing things away, I heard a drone overhead. I looked up through my windshield and there was what appeared to be a Mavic2Pro sitting directly above me at about 30'. I checked Dronescanner, which I always run just to see if anyone else is in the vicinity (and to make sure my RID is working), and there was nothing other than the residual information about the drone I had just landed. The bogey hovered there for about one minute then flew out of my view. About two minutes later it was back and appeared to start a crude grid search of the area. I never got back out of my vehicle and eventually I left. As I was pulling into traffic on the main road, I again saw the drone. This time it was across the road flying low and slow over a parking lot.

I returned to the event one last time that evening and was airborne for almost two hours with no further sightings, nor did I ever see any other drones on Dronescanner.

I wouldn't call this a confrontation, but clearly I was tracked using RID. There's simply no way someone could have seen my drone from the launch field (I was never closer than 1200'). Also, I had been on the ground for a couple of minutes already when the bogey showed up. If it had been close enough to follow my drone (Mini3Pro which is super-quiet anyway) I surely would have heard it when outside my vehicle.

It is ironic that someone would use RID to track me with a drone that was not transmitting RID itself.

I have long followed the practice of keeping a low profile when flying, so this was a real surprise for me.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Ok, now that you know I do, if the pilot takes off with his Mavic 3 from his backyard and flies around teh neighbor, do you think it is ok for one person to detect his flight, use the app to find out where he lives, post his details on the internet? It's a simple question, are you ok with this or not?
Again, this is a fictitious scenario at this point. Do you want to know what I think about the Easter Bunny too?

Will you block those who are trying to get the FAA to change the regulations to [something else more acceptable] with regard to transmitting the drone pilot's location?
No, absolutely not. I'm in no position to block anything. I am just one drone pilot on this forum giving my opinion to a thread like this. If you wish to try and block such efforts made by the FAA in regards to RID at this point go for it.

Got any proof of this happening? Please use the same standard you try to hold me to with regard to confrontations and karen reportings.
Okay, lets be clear. In all of your posts on this (and other threads), you've been describing what WILL or COULD happen when RID is fully realized. You have suggested scenarios of confrontations that have YET to happen.

When I said: "nefarious and rouge operations (that have proven to hurt the drone community BTW)," . . . I was speaking of the history of drones. Things that DID happen. Things that brought national attention (much of which was negative), onto the drone community.

I would be happy to review the "nefarious and rogue operations list that is hurting the drone community", please post it here so all of us can read it. As I mentioned, I'm happy to discuss it whenever you are ready:

This information is 'hidden' in google. :rolleyes: I've posted examples and press clippings of things that happened very early on in modern "drones" that caused massive negativity towards drones, more times than I can remember on this; and other forums. Folks with short memories, or that weren't keen on drones - ten or more years ago - have no clue, seemingly don't care or; just think if they ignore or dismiss the past, it didn't happen. Which are you?

For instance: how many stories of drone pilots that actually did things with drones that caused. . . (oh, I don't know), drones to be banned in National Parks will it take till you concede that stopping such flights was necessary? Five? Ten? Twenty? Something tells me - no number of such actual reports will suffice. You will just believe what you believe. But if you're truly interested, Google is your friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
Again, this is a fictitious scenario at this point.
Is that what you tell the drone pilot who disagrees with some aspects of RID and tries to make their case, you call it fictitious? I absolutely know why you won't answer this question. 🤣
No, absolutely not. I'm in no position to block anything. I am just one drone pilot on this forum giving my opinion to a thread like this.
Thank you for not trying to block the efforts. It would be more helpful if you didn't dismiss the valid concerns by calling them fictitious since it doesn't nothing but hinder the efforts. If you can understand how it might happen, just say so.
Okay, lets be clear. In all of your posts on this (and other threads), you've been describing what WILL or COULD happen when RID is fully realized. You have suggested scenarios of confrontations that have YET to happen.
You're the one being unclear. There is only one way to be clear so I fixed it for you: "you've been describing what WILL or COULD happen when RID is fully realized." When you add the word "WILL" then those are not my words, they are yours and you can own them; so you are wrong, not me. It *could* happen so use that and see if your attack works. If you want to hear yourself be right, add the word "will" in there and then listen to yourself.

You concentrate on unknown future confrontations and I'll concentrate of keeping the location of the drone flyer hidden from the public. The scenario I have suggested in the very first sentence, you call it fictitious and you won't answer it because you know I'm right. That is obvious to me.

But if you're truly interested, Google is your friend.
RE: nefarious and rogue operations list that is hurting the drone community
You're not ready to have an honest discussion in this area. Let me know when you are! o_O

But just in case, I googled it so I have my answer; let me know if you have anything else to add:

Q: What will remote ID laws do to curtail the nefarious and rogue operations that are currently hurting the drone community?
A: Since criminals don't use remote ID, the new laws will do nothing to prevent the criminal and illegal use of drones.

Is that what you tell the drone pilot who disagrees with some aspects of RID and tries to make their case, you call it fictitious?

Trying to argue a POV – or not – has no bearing on whether an assertion is fact or fiction.

All that matters is if it happened. If yes, it's a fact. If no, it's fiction.

Speculation about the future, things that haven't happened, is by definition fictional.

• Love
Reactions: okw and Torque
The scenario I have suggested in the very first sentence, you call it fictitious and you won't answer it because you know I'm right. That is obvious to me.

This sort of rhetoric is presumptive and highly offensive. No one likes being told what they "know", particularly in a pejorative tone.

What is your purpose in this discussion – to persuade, or bully others into your POV?

• Love
Reactions: Torque
This sort of rhetoric is presumptive and highly offensive. No one likes being told what they "know", particularly in a pejorative tone.

What is your purpose in this discussion – to persuade, or bully others into your POV?
Fine, could the naysayers please sincerely address the question? I believe it is central and it is key to the discussion. From what I can tell, it is the single most important objection to RID that you hear alot about. People don't want anyone (much less the public) to have free access to that data and honestly, it really shouldn't matter if you end up stabbed because of it or not. People have a right to some amount of reasonable privacy especially when they are doing nothing wrong and are simply engaging in a legal hobby. If anyone honestly believes this scenario is a fantasy and drone pilots are bluffing about this and are only trying to "cover their tracks" then I'll give it to you and I'll move on elsewhere. Not a problem. I'm doing my best to try to get this addressed, I'm not perfect when it comes to internet tone, but I mean no harm or disrespect. But this is only the beginning, I know what's coming down the pike for recreational drone flyers. I've seen this type of thing before and it's getting a bit frustrating taking 1 step forward and then 2 steps back. :(

Fine, could the naysayers please sincerely address the question? I believe it is central and it is key to the discussion. From what I can tell, it is the single most important objection to RID that you hear alot about. People don't want anyone (much less the public) to have free access to that data and honestly, it really shouldn't matter if you end up stabbed because of it or not. People have a right to some amount of reasonable privacy especially when they are doing nothing wrong and are simply engaging in a legal hobby. If anyone honestly believes this scenario is a fantasy and drone pilots are bluffing about this and are only trying to "cover their tracks" then I'll give it to you and I'll move on elsewhere. Not a problem. I'm doing my best to try to get this addressed, I'm not perfect when it comes to internet tone, but I mean no harm or disrespect. But this is only the beginning, I know what's coming down the pike for recreational drone flyers. I've seen this type of thing before and it's getting a bit frustrating taking 1 step forward and then 2 steps back. :(
PLEASE, yes! Move on!
You are nothing but one frightened individual. You can refer to yourself as "we" as many times as you wish, but you stand alone. I don't see anyone here supporting your wild fantasies and fear mongering. I don't like the idea of anyone knowing my location that doesn't NEED to know where I'm piloting from. But that doesn't make me afraid to fly because a mean person might yell at me. I am nothing like you. And I will not support your insipid ramblings here about how dangerous RID is. So please, move on and find a hobby that doesn't scare you. Do you even fly? You seem to be here 24/7 telling everyone how scary and risky it is to fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1