DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any Negative RID experiences so far?

3,867,243 and that's the rest of the story

There are 50K downloads of DroneScanner and 10K downloads of OpendroneID on the Playstore, so karen apps are not that popular, and I bet most of the downloads are from curious pilots that want to see what they are exactly emitting. They are not compatible with Apple devices, so that's basically what it is.

But yes, emitting that data all around is really concerning and adds another layer of undesired attention.

1698323711046.png
1698323687588.png

Last edited:
I was recently flying within about a mile of a presidential safety TFR. Within about 3 minutes of getting up to altitude for my shot (~390 feet) a helicopter pops up about a mile away, and zooms in my direction. It stopped roughly 1/8 mile out and zig zagged until it got to my area then circled me with at such an angle I could see someone in the back door looking directly down at me. Now, I had requested and received LAANC approval probably 5 minutes before take off, and I was well outside of the TFR with a 400 ft ceiling. At first I thought it was police helicopter since it looked like they were searching for someone, but when it homed in on me and circled for a few minutes I can only assume they had seen the RemoteID and took off to investigate, only to get the confirmation that I had LAANC approval, and left after checking me out and getting some pictures. When I heard the helicopter incoming I had quickly lowered down to tree level about 300 feet away. However, due to power lines, tree branches I couldn't return it to my location without climbing again, which I wasn't comfortable doing until the helicopter was gone (or at least not in my immediate area), which is why I didn't land it immediately.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque and AMann
I was recently flying within about a mile of a presidential safety TFR. Within about 3 minutes of getting up to altitude for my shot (~390 feet) a helicopter pops up about a mile away, and zooms in my direction. It stopped about 1/8 mile out and zig zagged until it got to my area then circled me with at such an angle I could see someone in the back door looking directly down at me. Now, I had requested and received LAANC approval about 5 minutes before take off, and I was well outside of the TFR with a 400 ft ceiling. At first I thought it was police helicopter since it looked like they were searching for someone, but when it homed in on me and circled for a few minutes I can only assume they had seen the RemoteID and took off to investigate, only to get the confirmation that I had LAANC approval, and left after checking me out and getting some pictures. When I heard the helicopter incoming I had quickly lowered down to tree level about 300 feet away. However, due to power lines, tree branches I couldn't return it to my location without climbing again, which I wasn't comfortable doing until the helicopter was gone (or at least not in my immediate area), which is why I didn't land it immediately.
Thank you for making a good impression of us responsible drone users!šŸ™‚

Reactions: Xitor and Torque
I was recently flying within about a mile of a presidential safety TFR. Within about 3 minutes of getting up to altitude for my shot (~390 feet) a helicopter pops up about a mile away, and zooms in my direction. It stopped roughly 1/8 mile out and zig zagged until it got to my area then circled me with at such an angle I could see someone in the back door looking directly down at me. Now, I had requested and received LAANC approval probably 5 minutes before take off, and I was well outside of the TFR with a 400 ft ceiling. At first I thought it was police helicopter since it looked like they were searching for someone, but when it homed in on me and circled for a few minutes I can only assume they had seen the RemoteID and took off to investigate, only to get the confirmation that I had LAANC approval, and left after checking me out and getting some pictures. When I heard the helicopter incoming I had quickly lowered down to tree level about 300 feet away. However, due to power lines, tree branches I couldn't return it to my location without climbing again, which I wasn't comfortable doing until the helicopter was gone (or at least not in my immediate area), which is why I didn't land it immediately.
Pretty brave to fly that close to a "presidential safety TFR." Unless this was at home or you had a job, couldn't you just wait another day or two or fly somewhere else? Do you think your RID details are now on a list somewhere?

Not sure why it showed up as TFR, it's actually "national defense airspace" and in place for the next 26 years. I have flown here at least every six months to get footage of bridge construction. Just speculation on my part that this was tied to RID, but has never happened before.

Reactions: Torque
Pretty brave to fly that close to a "presidential safety TFR." Unless this was at home or you had a job, couldn't you just wait another day or two or fly somewhere else? Do you think your RID details are now on a list somewhere?

Would that be the hush-hush global list of people who flew drones near prohibited airspace but never entered the prohibited airspace? Is it administered by the same agency that compiles the list of people who flew more than 395 feet AGL but didn't exceed 400 feet?

• Haha
Reactions: okw and Torque
Would that be the hush-hush global list of people who flew drones near prohibited airspace but never entered the prohibited airspace? Is it administered by the same agency that compiles the list of people who flew more than 395 feet AGL but didn't exceed 400 feet?

I have stopped caring about "lists" pretty much all-together. Mainly because there is honestly a "list" for just about anything you can imagine. Probably because someone at ONE of these alphabet soup agencies "cares" about said "lists".

I do know, if you own a motorcycle ~ you're on a list, heck if you only have the motorcycle endorsement but haven't even owned one ~ you're on a list! If you own a firearm, you're DEFINITELY on a list too!

When it comes to "lists" I probably tick ALL the boxes, why, because I am an old school freedom loving American!!! I own motorcycles AND guns :O etc

Not exactly. It starts as innocently as your ID ending up on a routine report. I won't go into details what happens from there. I think you already know but you won't admit it. Or perhaps you honestly don't really know this. It's like any other name or serial number or ID that is collected by the government. We already know this happens with everything else so drones will be no different. Even if it is unintentional, people's info ends up on a list somewhere and you don't even know it and when you find out, there's no way to get it off that list. Quite frankly, the government would be remiss if they didn't collect this information for use at a later date. The way they see it, if they saw fit to send out a helicopter...they're not going to collect a RID number and then trash it. This is why there are laws in place which require the government to destroy certain information because if you don't force it, they will keep it and they will [mis]use it.

Not exactly. It starts as innocently as your ID ending up on a routine report. I won't go into details what happens from there. I think you already know but you won't admit it. Or perhaps you honestly don't really know this. It's like any other name or serial number or ID that is collected by the government. We already know this happens with everything else so drones will be no different. Even if it is unintentional, people's info ends up on a list somewhere and you don't even know it and when you find out, there's no way to get it off that list. Quite frankly, the government would be remiss if they didn't collect this information for use at a later date. The way they see it, if they saw fit to send out a helicopter...they're not going to collect a RID number and then trash it. This is why there are laws in place which require the government to destroy certain information because if you don't force it, they will keep it and they will [mis]use it.
The "government" (national, state, local) doesn't collect ID numbers; they issue them. The IDs are on a list from the very time of their creation.

I promise I'm not keeping secrets about what happens next after I'm listed in a routine report. You should enlighten us all.

It's not known that the helicopter was dispatched to surveil the @Xitor. It's an assumption.

Disclosure: I don't shred or burn all the junk mail that comes to my house to keep someone who is picking trash from getting my address. The smart list makers just read the house number on the mailbox and the street number on the sign at the corner.

The "government" (national, state, local) doesn't collect ID numbers; they issue them. The IDs are on a list from the very time of their creation.

I promise I'm not keeping secrets about what happens next after I'm listed in a routine report. You should enlighten us all.

It's not known that the helicopter was dispatched to surveil the @Xitor. It's an assumption.

Disclosure: I don't shred or burn all the junk mail that comes to my house to keep someone who is picking trash from getting my address. The smart list makers just read the house number on the mailbox and the street number on the sign at the corner.
No worries, it's ok to not be aware of what happens to your details. I realize it is an assumption from the user.

I was really hoping this thread would be able to stay on topic and produce some results. Instead it has been taken over by a forum member's personal paranoid The-Sky-is-Falling predictions of the future.

The paranoia surrounding RID is something I have a hard time understanding.
Was one of the reasons RID was implemented was to help manage air traffic once more delivery drones are sharing the air space?
I don't get the paranoia either, and I think you hit the nail on the head when you made the following comparison in your first post. . . ?"

"Is it Y2K yet?

For some pilots apparently, it is much worse. I do not believe a type of app, (that few outside of the drone community have even heard of), will turn normal folks into drone-hunting terrorists that track us down to confront or attack us.

In my opinion, any confrontations going forward between the non-flyers and the drone community will have happened regardless of RID. And while those situations are few in comparison to the total flights, it can and will continue to happen.

I also think some folks may use the "Karen will attack" argument to justify their hatred of RID, when in reality the true source of their displeasure is that, RID can and will; be used to make drone pilots (in general), more responsible for their actions.

I don't get the paranoia either, and I think you hit the nail on the head when you made the following comparison in your first post. . . ?"

"Is it Y2K yet?

For some pilots apparently, it is much worse. I do not believe a type of app, (that few outside of the drone community have even heard of), will turn normal folks into drone-hunting terrorists that track us down to confront or attack us.

In my opinion, any confrontations going forward between the non-flyers and the drone community will have happened regardless of RID. And while those situations are few in comparison to the total flights, it can and will continue to happen.

I also think some folks may use the "Karen will attack" argument to justify their hatred of RID, when in reality the true source of their displeasure is that, RID can and will; be used to make drone pilots (in general), more responsible for their actions.
Once you start delineating the difference between RID and "locate the pilot RID" then you'll get the concern. If they remove that one part of the entire RID picture, I think they win over the majority of us. Otherwise, sure it's easy to fight the argument and push back on the "resistance" if you only look at the big picture which is what you are happy to defend against. Why not post a separate post and only refer to the biggest problem which is being able to located the pilot and then state your case?

I believe there are plenty of encounters where a drone is spotted but there is no confrontation simply because karen cannot locate or chooses not to locate the drone operator. But confrontations do happen and the vast majority of them happen without using an app. The claim as I understand it is the app makes available your location and that will somewhat increase this ratio: when a drone is spotted and the karen wants to confront, an app could be the deciding factor as to whether that confrontation happens or not.

What so wrong about drone pilots objecting to having their location broadcasted to people who could potentially want a confrontation? Drones are not new and other issues involving privacy have come up in the past and have been shot down for these reasons, why not drone? No one is saying overall confrontations will explode because people are armed with an app; no one is saying crooks and thieves will start using to app to hunt them down....those are the arguments you gladly want to shoot down. How about addressing the fact that a pilot who takes off from his house and flies his drone around the neighborhood doesn't want everyone in the neighborhood to find out where he lives? All it takes is 1 person to have an app, find out where you live, post on social media to the 2500 people in your neighborhood your details. How is that any different that 2500 people having the app?

For that reason, the number of people who download the app from the server, the number of people who open the app and use it, and the number of people with mobile phones, etc. those are all irrelevant to the conversation. But I can see why people would want to use it because there are 8 billion people with phones who don't care and it's makes it easy to argue against. Not my battle because I believe RID is here to stay but at the same time, I don't dismiss that part of the drone community that, to me, has a valid concern. I refuse to label them as criminals who want to do illegal things with their drone and not get caught. If that's the case, let's have the honest discussion on how RID will stop the criminals from flying illegally.

Little can be done about RID for the moment, if you are flying a DJI drone you are forced to comply. Let's hope anyone manages to hack RID (beyond the jeepdors GitHub hack) soon, but yep, the truth is that karens don't need RID at all as the drone itself draws a ton of attention at least at 250-300m around, or more if the environment where you are flying is silent.

I know how to fly wherever I want without luring any karens to me, and if anyhow someone finds me, I'm quite confident that I can deescalate quite fast (I've been a photographer for 19 years and believe it or not, my Manfrotto 475 tripod was a magnet of idiots too). I also bring some sauce with me, just in case it's not a karen but a thief.

But one experience like this, for example, is more than enough to throw most people out of the hobby, because a hobby is about having fun, not about dealing with idiots, specially if they come at you with a shotgun because potatoes.

The very group!

For reference, this is the same organization that keeps detailed comprehensive lists of people that have jaywalked, stopped at a red light just over the white limit line, done 26mph in a 25 zone, and many many other critical violations, especially who's been naughty and nice.

Once again, I've never had a negative Karen encounter in 10 years in this hobby. A dozen or two friendly interest encounters.

All other drone hobbyists I know have pretty much the same history.

ALL the negative encounters I have heard about in my time in this hobby have been here. And relatively speaking, there are very few here.

Has there even been one adverse experience with a threat and theft after landing? I haven't seen it here.

So the members that claim to be harassed regularly must be doing something different than most of us. Something that attracts the wrong kind of attention. Something about their flying... Where. How.

Something.

@mavic3usa So far there is no evidence that anyone (besides curious drone pilots), are using these "apps". You can make up scenarios all you want and no matter how plausible they seem to you - they have no basis in fact.

The claim as I understand it is the app makes available your location and that will somewhat increase this ratio:
Not sure what your true knowledge of drones and RID are, but are you aware that the broadcast modules are not required (they do not), broadcast pilot location? If this is such a hanging point, there are drones you can get that don't have RID natively installed (I have one). You may want to brush up your knowledge on RID?

I believe there are plenty of encounters where a drone is spotted but there is no confrontation simply because karen cannot locate or chooses not to locate the drone operator.
Sorry but I disagree

But confrontations do happen and the vast majority of them happen without using an app.
I agree and said so in my post. But there have always been confrontations. Heck there were confrontations well before drones with RC aircraft flying at a designated flying site (Now referred to as a FRIA)

What so wrong about drone pilots objecting to having their location broadcasted to people who could potentially want a confrontation?
Well for one, there is no wide spread proof that this is happening. And as I said - folks who would confront you will do it with or without an app. Or said in a way that many see it - folks that DON'T go around confronting people are not going to stumble across one of these apps and have some zombie-like transformation and turn into these drone hunters you keep speaking of. If there are such idiots - they're already here.

The very group!

For reference, this is the same organization that keeps detailed comprehensive lists of people that have jaywalked, stopped at a red light just over the white limit line, done 26mph in a 25 zone, and many many other critical violations, especially who's been naughty and nice.

Oh I'm totally on those lists šŸ¤£

CeBruxZWoAA6RhZ.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noobie