DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone use the MavMount for iPad?

With a Ipad Mini 2 or 4 what length cord are you using with the mavmount.

I just read a review on this and they said it does not hold the iPad upright securely. Can you confirm how ours is working?

So I got my mount and am reporting back as requested. It works very well and has a ton of adjustments. It holds my iPad mini nice and tight. I don't have the problem of it flipping down as a review stated. Is it a mavmount? No. Is it sturdy and work well? Yes. I paid $25 CAN. The mavmount would have been close to $100 CAN with exchange, shipping and taxes. The mavmount is very cool and made of better material but in the end I just needed something that would hold my iPad nicely. The $75 I saved got me another battery and as my wife puts it "YOU' RE DONE" means I am done buying goodies for now. Lol

0f49d5fb627c87137b960ccd1aaf325e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Ordered mine yesterday and it should arrive on Friday....now if only my Mavic would get here!

Personally I don't like the mavmount it blocks screan and it's bulky and heavy . You spend money on a portable drone then aggressive a mount that's bigger than the drone . It's like buying bigger bags .
The other mount that uses the carbon fiber rods in this post looks cool it's as small as the remote it's light and you can still see the other screen

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

to each his own....fortunately there are multiple options available. I am of the mindset that a larger screen is better as my aging eyes have a hard time with the smaller displays.

For me, I want to use the iPad because seeing my small phone screen is hard to see. It does not take the portability away though, I can still use my iPhone when I don't want to setup the mount and the iPad.

As for seeing the screen, everything is on the tablet that is on that small screen and I found it easier, when using a bigger screen, to see all that.

But, seems mounts are a personal preference.

Don't want to hijack this thread, but your post tells me you can answer some important questions of mine...
1. Are you using the Shield "K1" or the older Shield?
2. Are you running Android 5 or Android 6?
3. Are you using the Go App 4?
4. What device are you connecting to that has an HDMI input (your "wife's screen")?
1. K1
2. Whatever the latest, I think 6
3. Yes
4. I have a generic 10" monitor and use an HDMI to RCA video converter in my ground station case I made that I use mainly with an Aimdroix Y-copter (6 motors).

My neighbors and grand kids like to watch. I hope to be able to install SMA plugs on the Mavic and use with my antenna tracker. Haven't seen a YouTube of anyone doing it yet though. Even if I can't use the tracker the high db antenna should work better than the little whip of the Mavic. I fly over miles of water-district owned land that is on the east side of where I live .

Gave in an finally ordered one. I think this combination with the Hoodman setup and Ipad Mini 2 will be perfect. It will all still fit in my messenger bag case so I don't mind the extra item. Thanks for all of the reviews on this product.

Reactions: Aerial West
Personally I don't like the mavmount it blocks screan and it's bulky and heavy..
The other mount that uses the carbon fiber rods in this post looks cool it's as small as the remote it's light and you can still see the other screen
that one is 6.5 ounces (and uses rubber bands), the Mavmount is 8 ounces, has a smaller profile, and you can see the other screen in dual screen mode.

So the difference in weight is about a slice of bread and a half.

Here's a video showing it with both screens, balanced, without falling over.

Last edited:
that one is 6.5 ounces (and uses rubber bands), the Mavmount is 8 ounces, has a smaller profile, and you can see the other screen in dual screen mode.

So the difference in weight is about a slice of bread and a half.

Here's a video showing it with both screens, balanced, without falling over.

I think Andart is talking about the mount I posed in post #28. It uses carbon fiber rods and weighs 2.55 ounces.

I think Andart is talking about the mount I posed in post #28. It uses carbon fiber rods and weighs 2.55 ounces.
Oh, got ya. Guess it would be 5 slices of bread :)

Weight is a funny thing though... coming from using a Inspire controller, that feels great in your hands, and weighs far more than the MAVIC controller, the discussion of ounces isn't really a big deal. Anyone that has held a phantom 3 or Inspire controller can tell its solid and feels good.

But the weight of the MavMount is so that the controller is balanced. Total weight is far less important than BALANCED weight. For instance, its far easier to carry 2 50lbs. suitcases than 1 100lbs. suitcase because its evenly distributed in two hands.

You need 8 ounces to balance the iPad on the Mavic controller. A few less ounces, and the controller is being pulled out of your hands, wanting to fall forward... a very uncomfortable feeling after a few minutes of having to clamp with your hand instead of cradle. And that's why you see a finger in every picture... it's keeping the controller from falling over because the balance is off.

20161221_115735766_iOS.jpg 20161221_115850393_iOS.jpg 20161221_120038293_iOS.jpg 20161221_120509759_iOS.jpg 20161221_120656087_iOS.jpg 20161221_120837768_iOS.jpg 20161221_120920791_iOS.jpg 20161221_115735766_iOS.jpg 20161221_115850393_iOS.jpg 20161221_120038293_iOS.jpg 20161221_120509759_iOS.jpg 20161221_120656087_iOS.jpg 20161221_120837768_iOS.jpg 20161221_120920791_iOS.jpg

Ipad Mini 4 on DirtyJDesign's mount. Super lightweight - 2.5 ounce. Lanyard compatible. Easy to pack and set up. With the lanyard on, it's the perfect counter balance to the ipad mini.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkyHigh Pryo
unbalanced.jpg
What is used for the "spring loading" to hold the tablet in place? Rubber bands or something else?
We use real metal springs, no rubber bands.

you see here, where the charger block has to be put under the controller to keep it from falling over? Thats because it wont stand upright.

I have a bunch of flights under my belt. I never thought I needed telemetry on the TX. AFTER FLYING THE MAVIC I'm certain I don't need it. To be honest the only thing I have every viewed on it while flying was battery status. The rest of that stuff is well... stuff. If the app disconnects, how useful will that data be recovering your MP? If it is downrange or you actually lose sight of it, which I have found can happen even when it is only a couple of hundred feet away, the telemetry data on the TX really won't help. Maybe I'm missing something.. even if the data was of critical import how hard would it be to tilt the tablet or remove the tablet entirely? I'm sold on the holder I'm just not sure which version.. likely I'll go with the one that works with my K1

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Aerial West
You're absolutely right Mojo. The secondary screen is not needed. After flying hundreds of flights with an Inspire 1 with no secondary screen I agree.

I have also had a ton of flights on my P3 with a iPad Air2 and never felt the need for any other information, all of the info on the controller is duplicated on the larger screen, and much eaiser to see as its larger and not all 'crowded' up on a small screen. Nice for a backup if the tablet dies, but otherwise redundant. That being said I am still looking for the perfect mount, tried a 3d printed one but they are to flexible and off balance, the MavMount looks interesting, will the larger (XL) version fit both the Nvidia K! and the Air? seems the size range it large enough.

I have also had a ton of flights on my P3 with a iPad Air2 and never felt the need for any other information, all of the info on the controller is duplicated on the larger screen, and much eaiser to see as its larger and not all 'crowded' up on a small screen. Nice for a backup if the tablet dies, but otherwise redundant. That being said I am still looking for the perfect mount, tried a 3d printed one but they are to flexible and off balance, the MavMount looks interesting, will the larger (XL) version fit both the Nvidia K! and the Air? seems the size range it large enough.
I think as more an more new pilots fly this drone, they will realize the LCD isn't needed.

Yes, the XL will fit both those tablets, I think they are in the range.

So what data on the TX would be helpful to guide it back. Real Question? Knowing how far away it is or the altitude really is not something I think would be particularly helpful.

So what data on the TX would be helpful to guide it back. Real Question? Knowing how far away it is or the altitude really is not something I think would be particularly helpful.
I guess if the distance is going down, it will let you know you're coming back. And the faster, the better.

That way at least you can come back blind.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d