DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone use the MavMount for iPad?

3441654d79a4a1d7caba8269fae34308.jpg

Just bought this one on amazon.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I just read a review on this and they said it does not hold the iPad upright securely. Can you confirm how ours is working?

Reactions: LMTLESS
Wow, thanks for all the input!

Yeah I am going to get this, I think it will be perfect. I also would love to see an option later to just buy different mounts. I already own an iPad Air 2 and after spending $1000 bucks on a drone, $180 bucks on batteries, $60 on insurance and $70 on a mount, the wife will not let me go drop another $400 on a smaller tablet when I have one already. I do plan in the future of getting a smaller one, and if I do, would be nice to be able to just buy the different size mount.

Reactions: CEDRIXXX
You can see both screens if that's your thing. But absolutely NO, everything on the tiny secondary screen is on the tablet, and easier to use that way.

here's a video showing how to see both screens though!

Thanks for this video! This really helped me see the light! Looks like you can use it either way and one of the questions I had was if you even needed to see the second screen. So thanks again!!

I have the mount in post #7 and it holds an Ipad mini or a standard Ipad without issue...I do however like the strong durable construction of the Mavmount and may order one soon.

I just read a review on this and they said it does not hold the iPad upright securely. Can you confirm how ours is working?
I bought one a few days ago, its a great design and also telescopes out further to extend tablet away from controller, but it does not hold the tablet still. the bottom pivot has plastic teeth that dont bite into anything but flat plastic when you tighten the knob so the tablet will not stay put, it flops down and im using a lightweight android tablet. a heavy Ipad will be worse. i went to home depot and got a 1/2 inch star lock washer to put in there to tighten it up but i haven't made the mod yet. Now that i see the mavmount has the second postion to not cover the rc screen i will probably order a mavmount.

Ok...after reading all these posts and watching the videos, I've gone an ordered the MavMount! Looks like the best option out there.

I got the one from DirtyJDesigns. One of the best features for me is the lanyard mount.
il_570xN.1120571921_4ndg.jpg

I purchased this one too. Also, made in the USA. I like it very well. It holds my ipad mini very secure and feels well balanced in the hand which is important as I was worried it would feel too top/forward heavy. It weighs 2.55 oz. on my digital scale vs the mavmount which weighs 8 oz. I think I would prefer to keep it as light as possible. My only complaint is the "spring loaded" opening for the tablet is not a spring, it's rubber bands.

Having said all of this, I ordered before I knew about the mavmount. The mavmount does appear bulletproof and better than the others with this similar design. However, if I could just make a couple suggestions... I think the mavmount design could be improved upon a little bit. Notice the picture above how the RC grip arms of the "dirtyjdesign" swing out just a little farther. This feels very comfortable in the hand just like holding a playstation or xbox controller as those also flare out into the palm of your hand. So, making the mavmount a little wider on the bottom of the base; tapered to achieve this effect would be awesome. And a last suggestion would be to remove more aluminum material (more vents/holes) to make it lighter. The argument might be that removing material will make it less strong, but using it for it's intended use it will still be stronger than the RC itself with a little more material removed. Just a suggestion! I'd probably by one if you made a ver 2.0 with these improvements.
f-standard-solid.png

Notice how a typical gaming controller flares out for the palms to rest on. It's no accident. This is a result of years and years of controller development.

Last edited:
Just bought my MavMount. Will give it a good review once I get it, and have time to play with it.

Which size Mavmount do you guys feel is the ideal size for the Mavic remote, IPad Mini or the XL mount?

Aren't there things on that screen you will need to see while flying?

DJI has added an LCD display to the controller itself which provides critical flight telemetry data such as altitude, range, battery remaining (for both the remote and the AC), gimbal's tilt, AC's orientation, etc. This redundancy provides an increased margin of safety. Let's say that the battery of your tablet or phone dies or that your flying app collapses while you are flying the drone, you have an actual LCD that tells you everything you need to know to bring your drone back home safely.

It would be viewed and used if the above happens.

DJI has added an LCD display to the controller itself which provides critical flight telemetry data such as altitude, range, battery remaining (for both the remote and the AC), gimbal's tilt, AC's orientation, etc. This redundancy provides an increased margin of safety. Let's say that the battery of your tablet or phone dies or that your flying app collapses while you are flying the drone, you have an actual LCD that tells you everything you need to know to bring your drone back home safely.

It would be viewed and used if the above happens.

hey,what part of Burbank... Burroughs HS Indian here :)

I hear ya on the backup screen. But having flown professionally now for 3 years and hundreds and hundreds of flights using an Inspire 1 with X5 and not having an LCD, I'm not sure you'll ever need that. i don't think the small screen LCD was a safety measure... i think it was for flying without any display in "toy" mode. If someone actually let their battery die on a controller or tablet, first, "what the hell?!?", but second, Return to home would be the real safety measure to kick in, and has been for years now.

Id say that if my app crashed, I'd just restart the app before i used an LCD. BUT, if that's your thing, you can fly in dual screen mode, or simply adjust the pad out of the way if you wanted to see the LCD.

Reactions: BmrUpInTheSky
Which size Mavmount do you guys feel is the ideal size for the Mavic remote, IPad Mini or the XL mount?

what size tablet are you using? That's the decider on the clamp size.

I have a mini and a iPad air2. I prefer to use the Air but I wanted to hear from users if they think the Air would be too heavy for this small controller.

I have a mini and a iPad air2. I prefer to use the Air but I wanted to hear from users if they think the Air would be too heavy for this small controller.

I prefer the mini for both the Mavic and Inspire, but you can definitely use the air. here's a couple pics of the Air being usedmavmount XL 2.jpg mavmount XL.jpg .

hey,what part of Burbank... Burroughs HS Indian here :)
Alameda and San Fernando here. My stepdaughter is a senior at JBHS - Indian. One of these days we should meet up to fly our Mavics.

Reactions: Aerial West
Wow, thanks for all the input!

Yeah I am going to get this, I think it will be perfect. I also would love to see an option later to just buy different mounts. I already own an iPad Air 2 and after spending $1000 bucks on a drone, $180 bucks on batteries, $60 on insurance and $70 on a mount, the wife will not let me go drop another $400 on a smaller tablet when I have one already. I do plan in the future of getting a smaller one, and if I do, would be nice to be able to just buy the different size mount.
Get an Nvidia Shield tablet for $199. Mine never crashes the Go App and video is smooth with a great picture. Had a heck of time with my Note 4 phone crashing all the time and got the Shield and was pleasantly surprised how well it works with video. Plus it has an HDMI output for your wife's screen. ;)

Get an Nvidia Shield tablet for $199. Mine never crashes the Go App and video is smooth with a great picture. Had a heck of time with my Note 4 phone crashing all the time and got the Shield and was pleasantly surprised how well it works with video. Plus it has an HDMI output for your wife's screen. ;)
Don't want to hijack this thread, but your post tells me you can answer some important questions of mine...
1. Are you using the Shield "K1" or the older Shield?
2. Are you running Android 5 or Android 6?
3. Are you using the Go App 4?
4. What device are you connecting to that has an HDMI input (your "wife's screen")?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet