DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Apple vs Android

WestyinWC

Reactions
I'm an Android guy. No Apples allowed in my house. That being said I'm getting ready to purchase the new Mavic. What manufacture tablet is the best for this guy? The tablet I purchase will only be for this drone. Do you think I will be ok with Android still or should I bite the bullet and get an Apple? I'd like to stay with Android but I believe DJI gives priority to Apple products. Thanks a lot guys.

Dan

What does it mean "No Apples allowed in my house"? I love AMD but I use Intel. Do not get blind in technology, just recognize superior :D
Apple is fine if you can live inside the Apple bubble. I can't. Apple may be the superior product but I chose Android a long time ago and will not make the switch to an Apple life. That being said I'm ok with buying an I-whatever just to have the best for the Mavic. You never answered my question.

Reactions: JMF
I'm an Android guy. No Apples allowed in my house. That being said I'm getting ready to purchase the new Mavic. What manufacture tablet is the best for this guy? The tablet I purchase will only be for this drone. Do you think I will be ok with Android still or should I bite the bullet and get an Apple? I'd like to stay with Android but I believe DJI gives priority to Apple products. Thanks a lot guys.

Dan

All I can say is I have an iPhone 7 and Gen5 iPad.

I have not used Android so I can't compare them. I picked up the Gen5 Ipad recently for $325. You can probably find it for less if you look. Also Personally I have no problem buying refurbished stuff if I'm saving money and there is a verified warranty. Make sure what you get is compatible--I have a Gen2 iPad that I can't get the DJI Go 4 app to load on so unless I'm doing something wrong, it doesn't work with my Mavic.

The iPad Mini is also very popular. You may want to try searching for something like 'what's the best monitor for my Mavic.'

If you use anything bigger that a phone you will probably need a 'remote control to monitor' adapter. I got one for around $16 on Amazon.

Good Luck and the Mavic is great and it has so many features you will not get bored easily.

I have not tested mavic with any top android phone, but friend of mine was complaining about amount of heat form his samsung phone. I don't remember model.

Reactions: TCass68
If you're an android guy then get an android tablet. Apple is better for a variety of reasons but only a little better and not in very important ways.

The only thing you need to know is that the last OS, Nougat, universally had issues with DJI's app, or I should say the app had issues with it which they did not fix. If you can't buy Marshmallow or have the ability to go back to it, then - Apple it is. You don't actually have much choice.

Dan

I've got an Android phone & my main computer is HP but I went with the Apple Mini 4 for my Mavic & its stable as a rock.

Reactions: Glennyboy and JMF
Thanks guys. I'm actually sitting here tonight researching and watching the OSU game. Will land in something by midnight.

Apple is fine if you can live inside the Apple bubble. I can't. Apple may be the superior product but I chose Android a long time ago and will not make the switch to an Apple life. That being said I'm ok with buying an I-whatever just to have the best for the Mavic. You never answered my question.

In this instance I believe I-whatever is best for the Mavic, DJI seems to favor IOS and their app is super stable with IOS, at least it has been for me,
good luck on your choice.

Reactions: L.L. and WestyinWC
I forgot to mention, screen brightness is really important, I believe ipad 4 mini has around 500 cd/m2. I use iphone 7 plus (650cd/m2) but still in full bright sun I use
freewellgear sunshade as my eyes are damaged by crt monitors from middle ages :D, as ipad is bigger then phone it might compensate the difference in brightness.

If you look up DJI resellers on their site the Apple Store comes up. DJI Go 4 runs well on iPhone 7+ and the phone fits perfectly with the RC.

Dan

Im sure the technologically clueless apple sheep will be along shortly to try to brainwash you but.....

A large number of android devices work absolutely perfectly and if you want second hand some good cheap solutions can be found. Ebay for example has Nvidia Shield or Nexus 7 2013 tablets very cheaply and although they're not made any more are excellent with the mavic and very cheap. Perfect for a dedicated unit at $~100 outlay.

If you want newer and more modern, i use a Mediapad M3 from Huawei which works perfectly (the lite and other ones also work well).

There really is no reason to spend a fortune on a pointless apple device, far cheaper new or second hand android devices will work perfectly. Just be a little wary of certain Samsung models due to how badly they alter the core OS. Some work, some aren't so good.

I do know of one person that upgraded from an ipad to an android tablet after seeing how much brighter the screen was in direct sunlight (although if you want totally dedicated and the best screen around then Crystal Sky is the costly but best way to go).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer