DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Became more complicated than fun... Sold it!

I can understand him.
Lot of issues and too many minutiae to deal with.
Calibrations, mid-air interferences, good settings for the cam, firmware upgrades, more NFZ everyday, increasingly tight laws and let's suppose he's NOT using an Android device... If you're rookie (like me) you can get into paranoia.
Sad but true.

Pretty soon it will be like those "free speech zones"... or like designated smoking areas...

Mavic fun was over before it actually began.

Reactions: ed1nh0
Very sory to hear it .but if it too hard for you to use it so good for you to sell it .(it was easy to sell it ...good market for good item)
And some one save some mony
By buy a used one
......advice for all of us -the mavic is not a real plane or army drone
But for a toy its great for some one that can spand 1000$ mini

x2

If there isn't a viable downgrade path to 400 then I concur and I'll be moving away from Mavic too
Just not worth the trouble at that point.

There is ... just load up up DJI Assitant 2 and reflash the **** thing. I just went down from .7 to .6 last night and .4 is avail still so I am going to go back later today when I get around to it.

Its not hard. Its not a science. Its still easy and available. Just charge a battery and remote to 100% and let it do it's thing.

I recommend IMU and Compass recal after doing a firmware change.

This has been my first real drone and it has been great fun.
I have taken small easy steps and learn a bit more each flight.
At first there is a bit to get a handle on, but with:
Auto take off [emoji651]️
Auto landing [emoji652]️
Auto return to home [emoji537]
Auto camera settings [emoji327]
It is straightforward to get to know.
So not sure why people can't grow with it, but "horses for courses".
Sure there is discussion on fine tuning a lot of options especially with the camera, but you can take it or leave it.

My basic tips for beginners would be:-
- know how to set the Return To Home RTH altitude higher than nearby trees etc.
- check the remote antenna are unfolded
- wait till you get 6+ satellites before lift off
- confirm home point updated message before lift off (automatic but maybe do it again manually so you know)
- after take off, pause under 10 meters for a few seconds to give the precision landing image process a chance to update.
[Basically all this happens automatically if you don't rush]

My next tips would be:
- preferably be alone so you can concentrate and learn while you get the hang of things
- pick on a suitable area and do short flights and gradually get the feel of the Control Sticks.
- use the RTH function, but check the manual so you know what will happen. Understand that if you are close to the home point it will go to land, but over 20 meters it will first climb to the RTH height, so don't trigger this under power lines or trees etc, and don't panic if it appears to climb away from you. The Pause button gives you back control!

Take things at whatever pace you are comfortable with. I used this site and YouTube to learn more. Still no expert but it is fun with scary and exciting moments.

I would be interested in why some people don't like this thing called Mavic.....?

(What does "Became more complicated than fun....." actually mean?)
Plenty of people here happy to help if you ask the right question.

I think I understand where the original poster is coming from and others comments about anxiousness. I've not taken mine out in a couple of weeks, I guess it's fear on my part not the devices fault at all. I will be sticking with it for now, just need to get over it. If I was to summarise, I find I'm constantly worrying about making an error in judgement and getting something wrong.

Stupid really, I've shot some stunning footage.

Makes we wonder what people are expecting when they get a Mavic. Or any drone over $500. The MP has exceeded all of my expectations. I've never been troubled by a firmware update. I'm happy with the pictures and videos it takes. I wasn't expecting it to shoot like a P4pro or Inspire 2. In addition, I enjoy the many challenges it provides both in capturing great images and in learning to fly it.

Reactions: Closus
Before I bought my mavic a racing drone friend told me a lot of people were selling mavics on rcgroups. He was thinking maybe the mavic wasn't as great as some people said. I said I'd be willing t bet that a lot of the people selling them bought it without intentions or interest in video or photography. If photos/video isn't your thing the Mavic is not the best choice for a quad. It's fragile, expensive, sometimes finicky and difficult to repair.

I bought it for aerial photography so I'm willing to deal with quirks.

So yeah I think a lot of people are either not aware of the intended purpose/design or not sure what type f drone is right for them.

No problems with firmware updates, no crashes, no Go4 crashes, no loss of signal, no interference, never calibrated anything. Gee, I hope I didn't miss anything in there that was fun to do. Wise to get rid of it at your age. I am in my low 7th decade and love the technology and flying it. I have other more technical hobbies, and enjoy them all. There will come a time when I taper back too. I'm already tapering back on photography and sold my best DSLR. Good luck to you sir.

Thanks for all your replies. Interesting that no one has had an insight for why my phone/tablet view was almost too dark to see (Post #18 on Page-1.)

Just so y'all don't think life gets too boring into your 70's... this is what I fly when not flying a quad:

Top%20Up%20-%20Left%20Front%20Sm._zpsbk3arjc8.jpg

Hey DrDyno, the fact that you got as far as you did in your 80's is pretty amazing. My dad is 85 and despite still being internationally known (and sharp as a whip) in the world of physics he continually struggles with the most basic tasks on his IPhone and laptop. His grand kids have to reteach him at least a couple dozen times before the basics sink in (we sure do love him nonetheless). I'm sure he wouldn't get 10 ft with a Mavic. Heck, I'll be excited just to be kicking around in my 80's

Thanks for all your replies. Interesting that no one has had an insight for why my phone/tablet view was almost too dark to see (Post #18 on Page-1.)

Just so y'all don't think life gets too boring into your 70's... this is what I fly when not flying a quad:

I'll take that for spin over my Mavic any day. Great choice! Happy "flying"!

Reactions: HarryMerkin
Simple solution, don.t fix whats not broken! Just don.t update firmware software or anything.

After that there is a learning curve, but thats true of anything in life

I think I understand where the original poster is coming from and others comments about anxiousness. I've not taken mine out in a couple of weeks, I guess it's fear on my part not the devices fault at all. I will be sticking with it for now, just need to get over it. If I was to summarise, I find I'm constantly worrying about making an error in judgement and getting something wrong.

Stupid really, I've shot some stunning footage.

I think Fear and Exciting are related. [emoji51]
As I watch and read articles I develop a "mental mission" for my next flight. It might be to photograph something in particular or to have a go with one or more of the Intelligent Flight Modes, or even just fly to become more proficient with the controls etc. After take off I might think of something different- so what?

Suggest you have a mini-mission plan, and if you are away people and objects you will have nothing to fear - just a bit of excitement!

Reactions: Sarge and AF1
But why post about this? Hoping to get others to follow your lead?

This is a site of die hard Mavic and for that matter DJI fans from what I can see. What's the reason?

But why post about this? Hoping to get others to follow your lead?

This is a site of die hard Mavic and for that matter DJI fans from what I can see. What's the reason?
Just throwing his hands up in the air in frustration and wanting to share it. A misery shared is halved and a joy shared is doubled. He feels better even if we don't. Haha.

Reactions: EJay and horizontal

I prefer the Mavic! No doubt! :rolleyes:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky