DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera system resets mid-flight...?

For sure its a hardware issue, It does not happen all the time, but it happens, and unfortunately I will have to send it back, it's very difficult for me since i don't live in US but I I'm sending. It does not get worst than this but its a camera problem and it's bothering me.

I did everything possible trying to solve this, many times and nothing works, always the same, IMU Calibration, compass calibration, Camera reset, gimbal calibration, control calibration, Restored to factory settings with dji Assistant, downgraded firmware to .500 and to .550, reupgraded firmware to .600, did all again and nothing solved this issue, It flyes solid, it goes beyond imagination, but when i start recording the ******* camera reset and restarts to the configurations seted when the mavic was turned on, sometimes take 4 - 5 min, and sometimes take less than a minute.
I could live with this but i'm very perfectionist to accept that.

Beyond all this, there is the fear of send it back and get a refurbished one or with some other kind of problem worse than this...

Cruel world.
this is my biggest fear also. I have trouble understanding their methods. If mine didn't fly great and it wasn't new for me I'd return. I may wait a while once I'm a little bored of it, and won't miss it for a month or so.

I'd just love to know if the issue is recognised by them and is able to be solved.

Mine is a bit different. Today at the 9:06 mark it stopped, hard to tell how long, and then started again. For me it seems to be around the 9-10 minute mark.

Hey Navega have you tried other memory cards?

Maybe before you send it off you could upload a complete set of log files using DJI Assistant 2 and some of us could take a look. There may be a camera reset message with additional information.

A few questions. Does the problem happen with both batteries? Did you reformat the SD card? Can you provoke the problem on the ground by jiggling the cables to the gimble?

I need to lookup how to get the log files, great idea. 3 batteries all do it, formatted SD card in the Mavic, and will try the jiggle thing. I was sitting pretty stable last time it happened thats why I cant tell if it was quick or not.

Well, what a headache anyway. The only problem I had was that my Android phone kept crashing, and I fixed that by forking over some funds to "DJI display Inc." aka Apple.

A couple other things to try while you are waiting to decide. Try to create the problem while on the ground, perhaps with a little vibration (put on top of the dryer while its running, or on the car dash). Change video format from MOV to MP4, change video resolution and frame rate, change the bandwidth of the video download link. Complete re-flash to 0600 and then a factory reset. These probably won't solve the problem, but may help you to draw a circle around it a little more.

Last edited:
I have my log files off the Mavic, What do I do now? lol
And I am opening a case with DJI, I will keep you updated. I am in no rush to send this thing back though I may deal with it until the winter ;(

Stash the files on dropbox and post the link here.

It happened to me too, 3 weeks ago. An another frightening moment. I thought at first I was attaqued by a seagull, as I was flying over the sea. I realise now that the erratic video I saw then could be due to some gimball reset... If I remember correctly, this was with before the 600 firmware update... And yes, the recording stopped right at this moment.

Mine is a bit different. Today at the 9:06 mark it stopped, hard to tell how long, and then started again. For me it seems to be around the 9-10 minute mark.

Hey Navega have you tried other memory cards?
Yes, 3 types of cards, San disk Extreme plus U3, the original lexar 633 and a Sandisk ultra, all formatted in the mavic.

Maybe before you send it off you could upload a complete set of log files using DJI Assistant 2 and some of us could take a look. There may be a camera reset message with additional information.

A few questions. Does the problem happen with both batteries? Did you reformat the SD card? Can you provoke the problem on the ground by jiggling the cables to the gimble?
Yes, it happens with all my 4 batteries, I reformated the memory card many times, and it happens on the ground as well, on my table, mid flight.. rs.

Well I have some disturbing news. Today I sat the Mavic on a box with a fan blowing on it so it would not overheat. Just sitting, not moving at all the camera stopped and started recording 5 times. It ran 9:06, then 9:06, then 9:06, then 2:08 and finally 0:05 seconds. No movement. So it looks like some type of hardware, firmware or software issue. I have not heard back from DJI at all on my case even asking for logs.
I set things up so a stop watch was in front of the camera to see exactly how long between videos and it seems to only be .03 of a second. The attached photo shows the end of the first file and the start of the second.

Also I just noticed I am still within my 30 day Amazon window. I have until the 11th of May. If I can not figure out what is going on I will just be returning it for a replacement or refund to repurchase.

Attachments

• mavic 906 stopwatch small.png
    mavic 906 stopwatch small.png
    551.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Hey guys I got something. I just shot video in 1080 and no reset at 9:06. I was in 3840x2160 30 fps when it stops. What are you guys shooting in????

Hey guys I got something. I just shot video in 1080 and no reset at 9:06. I was in 3840x2160 30 fps when it stops. What are you guys shooting in????

I'm always shooting at 4K that's my guess it can't handle to process 4K videos! :(

So I tried different firmwares, cards, phones and reset the unit with no change. Default out of the box settings at 9:06 on the money mine does it every time. 1080 works fine. I don't know of what is left that I can try at this point. If I let it go to 18:12 minutes it does it again and I will end up with three files.
Very odd, the unit works flawless other than that!

It's looking more and more like you just need to send your Mavic in for repairs, or as you say, getting a refund and order a new one will get you a new Mavic sooner, and avoid other issues. The rest of this post is under the category of blue sky musings, I think.

I was about to suggest a bad block on your SD card, but you mentioned that you have tried several cards. If you are not formatting the SD card between tests, and still getting consistent 9+ minute resets, then it's probably not the card. Since the timing appears to be the same flying or sitting, it's less likely to be a heat or power supply issue, though those are both possibilities..

Next on the list for me would be a memory issue. Lower resolution frames are processed more quickly by the video raw->mov/mp4 pipeline, and take less space on the queue, so they may not reach the "bad block" of memory until after significant number of frames are processed. Experiment by setting the styles to 0 0 0 - this should reduce the frame processing memory requirement and see if that increases the time until the video system resets itself.

The real way to test this would be to run a memory diagnostic. People are busy reverse engineering the Mavic - it runs Android KitKat, and there are built in scripts for testing things like the camera, memory, etc. I'd love to get access to that functionality, but running these scripts requires deeper voodoo than I am willing to pursue right now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom