DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera system resets mid-flight...?

I did a test on the ground a little while ago out of curiosity. It ran for about 4 mins something, and stopped recording, camera reset and refocused - white balance went from auto to sunny :/

I ran it again, and then it went on for more than 20 mins no issue.

No idea what the Frick is going on here.

I format my card each time I insert it.

I think the camera service is crashing. Probably repeating stuff you have done 10 times already, but try a complete camera reset, then a factory reset of the Mavic.

Sucks, but it looks like it's time to call it a day and send the Mavic back for a refund, if that is an option, and get a new one. That will get you back in the air without going through the DJI repair process which seems to take a month.

Reactions: HSK
I think the camera service is crashing. Probably repeating stuff you have done 10 times already, but try a complete camera reset, then a factory reset of the Mavic.

Sucks, but it looks like it's time to call it a day and send the Mavic back for a refund, if that is an option, and get a new one. That will get you back in the air without going through the DJI repair process which seems to take a month.
Good suggestion, I'm in the process of doing it right now - will try the drone out tomorrow.

^^ It happens on both the dji go app and litchi. Perhaps even less on litchi.

Latest firmware, various FAST memory cards. Clear and very mild wind conditions. Video cache on and off. I think this is a fundamental hardware flaw / limtation or processing issue.

Would love to know if anyone has had their drone fixed via dji regarding this issue. No one seems to have answered that question yet...

I'm with you @HSK. Tried everything to resolve but finally gave in and sent it back. Arrives in their shop tomorrow. I'm going to add this and the other threads I'm on to the case and insist that they reproduce the error before fixing and test fly/record after "fixing" since it is so easy to invoke.

I'll keep this and the other threads posted on their responses. So far, they have not said this is a known issue in any correspondence.

It's looking more and more like you just need to send your Mavic in for repairs, or as you say, getting a refund and order a new one will get you a new Mavic sooner, and avoid other issues. The rest of this post is under the category of blue sky musings, I think.

I was about to suggest a bad block on your SD card, but you mentioned that you have tried several cards. If you are not formatting the SD card between tests, and still getting consistent 9+ minute resets, then it's probably not the card. Since the timing appears to be the same flying or sitting, it's less likely to be a heat or power supply issue, though those are both possibilities..

Next on the list for me would be a memory issue. Lower resolution frames are processed more quickly by the video raw->mov/mp4 pipeline, and take less space on the queue, so they may not reach the "bad block" of memory until after significant number of frames are processed. Experiment by setting the styles to 0 0 0 - this should reduce the frame processing memory requirement and see if that increases the time until the video system resets itself.

The real way to test this would be to run a memory diagnostic. People are busy reverse engineering the Mavic - it runs Android KitKat, and there are built in scripts for testing things like the camera, memory, etc. I'd love to get access to that functionality, but running these scripts requires deeper voodoo than I am willing to pursue right now.

Agree. I contacted the seller today and he had me try a few things. Boxed it up and shipped it to them. He said they will have their tech look at it and it sounds like if he finds the same thing they are going to swap it. I will post back with the result either way.

Reactions: geigy
It seems you just point out the issue. I have these settings too: 4k video at 30f/s and the video lasts exactly 9:05...
In 4k this is the time you need to reach 4go, 4,1go before the file is split.
It does not happen with lower resolutions because the time needed will be more than the battery autonomy.
So this is the issue: handling files bigger than 4go with a fat 32 filesystem... Which cannot be done due to limitations of fat32
If only it could handle ext4... This will definitely solve the problem.

Last edited:
Hmm maybe, but, I get camera resets at smaller sizes than that. Today I was recording and I got a reset at around 2.50 and 2.47.

I need to chek the files on the SD, but they can't of reached the limit split. I know how the limitations on SD cards and recordings. Most SLR's I have just cut the file and continue filming seamlessly. I wouldn't expect the gimbal to reset and filming stop. And this doesn't explain why it doesn't happen to most other people. I asked others in a separate thread if the majority do not have the issue. Many do not.

I think this is Bad QA on DJI's part. it seems early models are not affected. mine was bought early April.

Thanks that's the answer. Least now I won't have to send mine back. Just live with the reset and restart video.
I really don't think that's the answer. The majority of people don't have this issue - also that thread is in regards to Phantoms, not Mavics...

I think moustic has nailed it. Hats off to you!

Article on DJI site: Any way to prevent video file split at 4gb?

Nice catch!! File size is 4G
So is this happening to everyone flying in 4k then? I find it hard to believe that people are not going crazy over this issue. Is there any way around it?
I may start a new thread to see for the people not following this.

It seems you just point out the issue. I have these settings too: 4k video at 30f/s and the video lasts exactly 9:05...
In 4k this is the time you need to reach 4go, 4,1go before the file is split.
It does not happen with lower resolutions because the time needed will be more than the battery autonomy......
That last sentence in incorrect. I film in lower resolution 2.7k and my files also split at 4GB, but at 12:10, which is well within battery life. That said - I have had the occasional camera reset as well and I was also of the opinion it occurred at file split. It only started happening for me on .600 so I guess the next firmware update might address it.

I really don't think that's the answer. The majority of people don't have this issue - also that thread is in regards to Phantoms, not Mavics...
I may have spoke too soon. Hopefully there will be a solution. I guess if you video your main objective and not the entire flight it would be a temporary fix.

That last sentence in incorrect. I film in lower resolution 2.7k and my files also split at 4GB, but at 12:10, which is well within battery life. That said - I have had the occasional camera reset as well and I was also of the opinion it occurred at file split. It only started happening for me on .600 so I guess the next firmware update might address it.

Well at 2.7k, depending of the bitrate, you are right, the issue can occur too, later.
I think this is a software issue, as I have tested and wrote successfully on the same sdcard support a 7.7GB file... using Linux with the sdcard mounted as extfat.

Interesting read I found when searching for 4Gb limitation with DJI

Any way to prevent video file split at 4gb?
It's a different issue I believe.

The split mentioned there, results in a few skipped frames / a jump in the video, but the video does not stop.

the issue that alot of people are talking about here, the gimbal resets, the focus changes, some settings get reset and most annoying, the video STOPS.

It's a different issue I believe.

The split mentioned there, results in a few skipped frames / a jump in the video, but the video does not stop.

the issue that alot of people are talking about here, the gimbal resets, the focus changes, some settings get reset and most annoying, the video STOPS.

The video split may be related, but can't be the only issue. I see gimbal resets after 20 seconds sometimes. My longest video was a little over 9 minutes so that one time was probably invoked by the 4GB limit, but not the other 200 (50 flights, about 4 resets per flight...) times. Plus, I downgraded to 450 and still had the glitch in less than a minute.

We will see what DJI says. Should be in their shop today.

The video split may be related, but can't be the only issue. I see gimbal resets after 20 seconds sometimes. My longest video was a little over 9 minutes so that one time was probably invoked by the 4GB limit, but not the other 200 (50 flights, about 4 resets per flight...) times. Plus, I downgraded to 450 and still had the glitch in less than a minute.

We will see what DJI says. Should be in their shop today.
I did a video for 20 mins yesterday, at 4k 30fps, no interruptions. and then today its stops at around 2:50 mins.

Good luck with the repair, I hope the resolve the issue and shed some light on it! Fingers crossed!!!!

I reformatted my sd. Ran 2 video sessions on the ground. One at 2.7k 30fps for 12 minutes and at 4K 24fps for 14 minutes with no drop outs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife