DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera system resets mid-flight...?

@Logger A gimbal resetting and recalibrating with the whole dance is a wholly different thing from video splitting. The motors and gimbal controller are very distinct from the camera and settings you are mentioning. That's why you have two different cables etc.

Anyway, as you say, who knows if changing i.e. the sharpness or turning the histogram on will cause a gimbal reset. I guess you'd have to check every combination multiple times. Have fun with that. It's your Mavic afterall...

I'm experiencing the identical issue and I can't pinpoint the cause of this mid-flight gimbal reset. What I have noticed and the reset appears to occur when I start or stop recording. I was hoping firmware revisions would resolve the issue but they haven't.

I will provide details below of my setup. Maybe others can provide similar details so we can collect and analyse?

Memory: 64GB Sandisk Extreme 3 which I format in the MP when it's about 50% full
Resolution: 2.7K 30fps
Mobile: iPhone 6S DJI 4.0.7
Flight pattern: Mixed. Short 60-90sec long videos with a few photos in between

Question: Has anyone with this gimbal reset issue, flown their MP without recording for the duration, and experienced the issue?

Past two flights I've had issues. In the above linked video the camera seemed to reset but connectivity was maintained via controller... SD card version of the file didn't include this part. It just cut off recording. This is from the cache.

Then the next flight, this same thing appeared to happen, only this time I lost connection on the controller and my home point was erroneously changed to the birds current hover location.

Past two flights I've had issues. In the above linked video the camera seemed to reset but connectivity was maintained via controller... SD card version of the file didn't include this part. It just cut off recording. This is from the cache.

Then the next flight, this same thing appeared to happen, only this time I lost connection on the controller and my home point was erroneously changed to the birds current hover location.

Did you actually see the gimbal on the bird resetting? I'm trying to understand whether it could be a signal drop or loss issue vs the gimbal resetting...

Did you actually see the gimbal on the bird resetting? I'm trying to understand whether it could be a signal drop or loss issue vs the gimbal resetting...

In the instance seen in that video I posted, I maintained full control of the Mavic via the RC. The camera freaking out was the only indication that something had gone awry. Furthermore, there were no warnings or errors reported in my flight logs. Whether this is considered a gimbal "reset" or not - I have no idea.

As others have said, it's scary when the only visual indicator you have (live stream on your phone) appears to be showing the Mavic spinning or descending toward the ground.

Question: Has anyone with this gimbal reset issue, flown their MP without recording for the duration, and experienced the issue?

I did two flights one day testing the issue. One 12 minutes recording with multiple resets. I started recording immediately after each reset. On the next battery I few about 16 minutes and took a bunch (10+) of photos. No recording and not a single reset. Recording is definitely a factor for me.

I've also had this happen when the drone was hovering 10 feet above me. I watched the gimbal slew about and the drone also rotated around Z about 20 degrees. Really jerky twist in the air. It never lost altitude but sure is annoying. From the video feed this seems to always happen unless the drone is flying automatically with POI or another mode.

Gimbal Resets - What we know so far.

Event lasts about 20-30 seconds & then recover

Example of typical event

Firmware
  • Probably has happened on all versions. Seems more prevalent in recent versions since v01.03.0600
  • Firmware has recently had changes to “gimbal self checking

Hardware
  • Could be faulty hardware in individual devices or a widespread flaw.

Operating system

• Effects both IOS and Android

Flying App

Known to occur with
  • DjiGo4
  • Litchi
  • Probably other apps too.

Flyabilty
  • Some users have reported slow sluggish response to various commands during or around the time of these events. (Possible system overload/ Memory issues?)
Flying Mode
  • Occurs during Joystick flight and submodes.
  • Not yet reported in Waypoint mode (Might be because most WPT flights are not long enough for file split to occur).
Recording Media
  • No obvious correlation with SD card size or brands
  • Formatting card on aircraft does not appear to prevent issue.
Signal Strength
  • No obvious correlation reported.
  • Has occurred with drone sitting above operator

Common themes
  1. Appears to only occur when system is writing image system files to SD card.
  2. Recording video has seemingly occurred on all event flights at some point.
  3. No reported occurrences on flights where no recording or stills captured.
  4. Video File split at 4gb size limit is common to many reset events.
  5. Completing a video recording session, followed by a switch to capturing stills is common to some of the events too.
  6. If in progress, video recording to file on the aircraft is always interrupted, requiring manual restart.
  7. FPV video continues to be sent to Mobile device and recorded, albeit with momentary interruptions.

Flight Logs
  • TXT file continues to record gimbal telemetry throughout event. Although accuracy of recorded gimbal position during this phase is questionable.
  • Gimbal appears to be stabilised and powered thoughout. However it is disorientated and no longer synchronised with the flight control system.

General thoughts and Questions

1. Is the firmware “gimbal self checking” routine ongoing throughout a flight or is it purely a power up function?
  2. Is there any way to get more detailed data log of what is actually occurring during these events. Detailed error logs from aircraft DAT file reveal nothing
  3. What is a common link between Gimbal performance and File writing routines? The camera perhaps.
  4. Does the firmware have a hierarchical method of load shedding? Aircraft flight management being at the top working its way down to gimbal management near the bottom. Similar to how an android phone prioritises phone calls above other functions.

PS.. Happy to add remove dot points if anyone has any.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I'll add my experience as well.

Received the Mavic about 3 weeks ago and my files started to split at exactly 4.09GB's. It happened with the .600 software it arrived with and it continues with the .700 that I did last week. The video immediately starts to recapture video without initiation by me. It happens on every single flight as soon as I hit 4.09GB's. The relayed video signal to my controller/iPad Mini is never interrupted as it continues to stream perfectly.

I'm using a SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB U3 and I've tried flying with it formatted after every use by either the drone or my MacBook and I've tried just running them with memory cleared.

Here is a picture of verification of the video resetting at 4.09GB's. I can go back and check the time stamping if that would help but I'm assuming it's going to be almost the same as well.

I'm checking with some software engineers to see if there's a way to run diagnostics on the installed software and I'll report back with whatever they find. With that said, has anyone contacted DJI to see what their response is? Hope this helps.

Cheers
P.S. Those files less than 4.09GB's are due to me cutting the video/flying time short.

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 11.48.35 PM.png

Hey guys. I'll add my experience as well.

Received the Mavic about 3 weeks ago and my files started to split at exactly 4.09GB's......<snip>

Thanks @hookalakupua What you report is if fact normal and expected behaviour.

What is not normal and what this thread is about is when the Gimbal appears to Reset. This is indicated by a short period of rapid and erratic yaw, pitch or roll on the camera image. For some unknown reason many of these Gimbal events seem to coincide with the routine file split event which you are seeing..

Your Gimbal was not going haywire was it?

Reactions: HSK and EsiMavic
Complete apologies for my ignorance. I took camera reset as the issue I was having with the video. Ugh! Sorry guys as I'll go back to lurking and keeping my mouth shut! Haha. That's what I get for being a newbie and appearing to know more than I actually do. :)
Thanks for not berating me!!! ;)

No worries at all. We need to hear from people who are not effected too, so we can gauge how prevalent the issue is. Have added an example video to my post above so is clearer, what we are talking about,

Small update on my Mavic. The repair was "done" 8 days ago and they are shipping today. Why the delay? Maybe they actually tested it thoroughly like I asked and discovered that just a gimbal/camera replacement did not work. I'll probably never find out the details but the aircraft serial number they are shipping is not the one I sent in. The battery and controller match though. The different SN indicates an April 18 build date which it is newer than my original March 7. Hopefully not a refurb. I'll see if all is well next Wednesday.

Hi Guys,

Would just like to comment, i had the exact same issue today it happened twice, never experienced before and thought my drone had shut off. For the whole time i have been using the SD-Card that was supplied with the Mavic. However today i changed SD Card to the SanDisk Extreme Pro U3, as i thought this would improve video quality due to its faster write speed. Contacted DJI and they said re-calibrate the Gimbal and IMU so i have done that. However i'll fly my drone tomorrow with both SD cards and see if the issue occurs. I'm beginning to think its the SD card from the comments in this forum.

Reactions: fiberdude
Hi Guys,

Would just like to comment, i had the exact same issue today it happened twice, never experienced before and thought my drone had shut off. For the whole time i have been using the SD-Card that was supplied with the Mavic. However today i changed SD Card to the SanDisk Extreme Pro U3, as i thought this would improve video quality due to its faster write speed. Contacted DJI and they said re-calibrate the Gimbal and IMU so i have done that. However i'll fly my drone tomorrow with both SD cards and see if the issue occurs. I'm beginning to think its the SD card from the comments in this forum.
What is/are your issue/s??

My observation after reinstalling the mavic's and rc's FW (.007) thru data in my phone (I usually use wifi in our home on my pic using the Dji assistant )
When the gimbal resets it will refocus to its original angle, before I need to recalibrate the gimbal roll in order to adjust the correct horizon :)

Small update on my Mavic. ... Hopefully not a refurb. I'll see if all is well next Wednesday.

It arrived today almost a month after sending it in. The aircraft is definitely different and sure seems new. All the stickers and lens tape was on it plus I had to link it with the old controller.

And the glitch is gone! At least for the first 30 minutes of flight time. I did see the video split at 9:06 but it did not stop recording.

So, the repair notes said they replaced the camera and gimbal, but instead the whole aircraft is new. Clearly (reading the tea leaves here since they did not tell me anything) the issue is hardware related and more than just the camera/gimbal.

Whatever the case, I'm so happy!

Other notes: firmware 600, SD card was original 16GB lexar.

Reactions: EsiMavic
Im hovering @ 90m then records a video i didnt experience a stop on recording the only time is when it returns home manually and do some maneuvering. This needs to be replaced. :(

Its been over a month since I started this thread and I had not experienced another gimbal reset since, until yesterday!. I was flying down into a canyon in the GO4 app, recording video as I went. Then I closed the GO4 app and started the Hanger 360 app and did a 360 mission which went successfully. After I finished the mission in Hanger 360 I switched back to GO4 and as soon as GO4 opened the camera did a reset.

Interesting to note, when I switched from GO4 to Hanger 360 I was recording video. I thought about stopping the video before I opened Hanger 360 but I was curious what would happen if I left it recording. And after I switched back to the GO4 app after my Hanger 360 mission, I watched the reset happen and when it was finished it had stopped recording. Not exactly sure what caused the event but I think this would be an example of, "Completing a video recording session, followed by a switch to capturing stills is common to some of the events too." as the poster above listed.

If you want to see the Hanger 360 picture, it's here: What is the lowest you have gone?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7