DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

.700 is here "The-f-word" There is new firmware once again!

Thanks a lot for response. I feel immediately better knowing I am not alone in this. Was this behaviour widely reported. Did not came across it browsing through the forums last few months :) Other problem I have is overall blurriness no matter where I focus. Here is a screenshot from todays flight, sharpness on +1

Check these out:-
Camera system resets mid-flight...?

Does any one NOT have the filming stop / gimbal reset issue?

Gimbal restart while flying?

I think the issue come in various strengths - from big freak outs to quick tumbles, recording always stops. refused to send it to dji and be out of time with the drone, so after trying many tests / firmwares (that came with many issues as well / lots of failed update attempts after downgrading) back to the retailer for a new unit. transferred my refresh to the new unit.

I dont want to even try updating the mavic now after last time...constant fails.

The problem is most definitely due to a bad ribbon cable. Unless you're upto the task of changing it yourself take it back.
Firmware updates will not cause something like this.

The problem is most definitely due to a bad ribbon cable. Unless you're upto the task of changing it yourself take it back.
Yep, I always thought it was a fundamental hardware issue - then after testing, all the firmwares i could and mem cards, still randomly happens...I concluded the gimbal on the Mavic is absolutely shite.

Reactions: SeanOzz
FYI. Upgraded to .700 and had a chance to try it with Autopilot today. Flew 2 batteries. Good news. All is good with Autopilot and .700.

Reactions: Sau
Today was the first flight after the new update and I have to say it all went well without any issues.
But I had some hiccups on the 2nd video of the 3. Something like lag and I don't know if it is the video from the app (because I didn't download the original video) or it was the shutter speed (because I've test for first time my PolarPro ND filters with 1/50 at 24fps.).

Well I decided to test 0700 now incase I need to revert back to 0400 and I'm glad I did.

I flew 3 batteries and had about 4 instances where gimbal was jumping around or camera lagging. I also had interference message pop up which has never happened there. I've tested several firmwares in same place and this is the first time I've had it happen there.

I wished I could like it and stay on 0700 but I can't. I'm going back to 0400. I'm not planning on using Goggles and I'm not happy with Gimbal performance.

For my aircraft... 0400 is better and I'm downgrading while I can.

Best of luck to you guys on 0700. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what others come across their experience.

Mike

I read several post mentioning multiple successful flights since upgrading. So I decided to go ahead and upgrade my ios setup(10.2.1). The A/C and R/C are both on 1.03.0700. Since I can't rollback the app, I left it with the 4.0.7 GO4 version. I flew one 15 minute non stop flight that went well. The video throughout the flight appeared solid on playback. Prior tp the flight I adjusted all setting to what I've using so if something was different it would show up from what I'm use to. The one thing that stood out to me was with the "Yaw Speed", it seem to be faster which is something I would have to stick in the "Con" column. I had already set the sensitivity to 50, Gain at 95, and now I'll need to tweak my own flying characteristics to slow it down some more.

At any rate, one flight is not enough to toot any horns over, yet. But so far I was a little surprised flew as well as it did. I will check the distance on the next test flight.

EDIT: Changes have been made since posting the above detail. Look for my posted info on page #16.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if saving .0400 "on side" is possible? And if then how to do it? So if they will strip it we will be able to eventually go back to factory FW and settings.
it has been attempted i read by some very intelligent guys and it is complex. from what i read nobody has succeeded so far.

Regarding the Gimbal resets - that is a big call on the ribbon cable being most definitely the culprit! I am not convinced at all that is the predominant cause of this reset issue.

WRT to "firmware updates not causing something like this" - here is the change log for firmware 0700!!

Mavic Pro Release Notes

Date : 2017.05.09
Firmware : v01.03.0700
DJI GO 4 App iOS : v4.0.8
DJI GO 4 App Android : v4.0.7

What’s New?

1. Added support for DJI Goggles.

2. Optimized gimbal self checking.

I do not think the firmware itself is necessarily the cause. It may be commands that DJIGO4 is sending to the aircraft firmware overload something, triggering a gimbal reset. One thing is for sure though, is that it is the firmware that controls the gimbal, so it could possibly be implicated somehow.

I operate with android and have found that if I have flight unusual after firmware or OS updates, I can invariably fix them by clean installing DJIGo4. I did this after the 0600 update when I had 2 gimbal resets. That seemingly fixed them.

Now immediately after updating to 0700, I had two further Gimbal resets. Once exactly on 4gb file change over which others have also reported, so unlikely to be ribbon cable related. A second was when toggling from video to camera. This was becoming annoying I clean installed DJIG04 again and since then 3 batteries flown and not a hiccup.

I could well be wrong, but I think an increased in reported gimbal resets coincided with Fixed Wing tweaks to the firmware which occurred with 0600 at the start of April. The 3 threads quoted above all post date this.

Tried .700 with Hangar 360. Couldn't do it at noon, as it should be done (when the sun is up in the sky) as it was cloudy back then. But the result is quite good! ****, that Mavic shoots up in the sky, just like in Sports mode; Hangar surely did some upgrades since I last used it! Photo shooting & processing takes a lot less as before! Here's today's result: Hangar 360 pano with .700
Wow - well done! Beautiful.

Reactions: Capra Vecinului
Hello everyone! First of all, excuse my bad English.
After reading for a couple of months, I would like to describe to you my experience that I hope can help someone.
I bought my Mavic with the firmware version 400 and I have not had any particular problems but it is also true that, being my first flights, I have not flown over the 2 km and I have not paid particular attention to the horizontality of the gimbal.
After a few days, I upgraded to version 600 and everything worked well.
On one of my flights, my Mavic went far about 3 km and while I was turning left I missed the signal that came back about 2.5 km.
Now I know that it was my mistake of evaluating the terrain situation but at the time I believed it was a problem of the 600 firmware.
Having read about the flight distance problems of the 600, I did downgrade to 400 and did a distance test on the beach.
Arrived distant of 2.8 km I had an unrecoverable disconnection from the DJI go 4, which resumed to work only after restarting the smartphone. Luckily the RTH worked perfectly.
After this unpleasant experience and having not had first problems with the 400 and even with the 600, I upgraded back to 600 and on the first flight with Mavic at 20 meters from me, I had a new unrecoverable disconnections from the DJI go 4.
I decided to reset everything in the Mavic and in the DJI go 4 that goes first completely uninstalled and put back the 600; I then made a new test away with remarkable wind up to 4.5 km. Another day I did another test with very little wind and I reached 5.5 km, all with the firmware 600 and with no problem.
I forgot to tell you that I write from Italy so the distance of Mavic is theoretically reduced to 4 km.
Now I put the firmware 700 and I have no problems excluding it has not kept me for a few times the setting "Smart return"
I also did a distance test and I reached 6.5 km which is remarkable since I'm in Europe with reduced range, I don't want to try it over because I landed with 8% battery.
I told you all this because it could be that the problems with version 600 (and even 700) can be eliminated with a reset of everything (reset the Mavic to factory settings before the update, and after, reset the camera and all the parameters in the DJI go 4 that goes first completely uninstalled).
thanks for this i will try factory rest too to see if my range improves. question, after factory rest did u have to do front Obstacle Avoidance cameras calibration (with the Assistant tool on the PC/laptop screen) too or just IMU, compass and RC?

Regarding the Gimbal resets - that is a big call on the ribbon cable being most definitely the culprit! I am not convinced at all that is the predominant cause of this reset issue.

WRT to "firmware updates not causing something like this" - here is the change log for firmware 0700!!

Mavic Pro Release Notes

Date : 2017.05.09
Firmware : v01.03.0700
DJI GO 4 App iOS : v4.0.8
DJI GO 4 App Android : v4.0.7

What’s New?

1. Added support for DJI Goggles.

2. Optimized gimbal self checking.

I do not think the firmware itself is necessarily the cause. It may be commands that DJIGO4 is sending to the aircraft firmware overload something, triggering a gimbal reset. One thing is for sure though, is that it is the firmware that controls the gimbal, so it could possibly be implicated somehow.

I operate with android and have found that if I have flight unusual after firmware or OS updates, I can invariably fix them by clean installing DJIGo4. I did this after the 0600 update when I had 2 gimbal resets. That seemingly fixed them.

Now immediately after updating to 0700, I had two further Gimbal resets. Once exactly on 4gb file change over which others have also reported, so unlikely to be ribbon cable related. A second was when toggling from video to camera. This was becoming annoying I clean installed DJIG04 again and since then 3 batteries flown and not a hiccup.

I could well be wrong, but I think an increased in reported gimbal resets coincided with Fixed Wing tweaks to the firmware which occurred with 0600 at the start of April. The 3 threads quoted above all post date this.

If it was a ribbon cable, it would be an issue on all firmware versions.

if it was a GO4 app issue, it would be on all android devices hosting that app.

My speculation guess to such issue would be either a device setting, or a unknown background app interference, or a connecting usb cable. Oh..and one major possibility I forgot to include which is "nougat android 7". I spoke with the DJI beta admin for the GO4 app in China, and he said issues can be expected for those setup with the nougat firmware. He mentioned that the GO4 software is coded based on "android 5.5". He said it would take a complete GO4 app rebuild for that software (nougat) to function properly with GO4. That is the main reason I switched from my nVidia K1 Shield to my mini 2.

Got to check that .700 works with the DJI GS Pro app on my iPad Pro this afternoon. Happy to report that everything seems fine, flew 3 missions with around 20 way points each, plus camera angles etc. great software considering it's a free app.

Well I decided to test 0700 now incase I need to revert back to 0400 and I'm glad I did.

I flew 3 batteries and had about 4 instances where gimbal was jumping around or camera lagging. I also had interference message pop up which has never happened there. I've tested several firmwares in same place and this is the first time I've had it happen there.

I wished I could like it and stay on 0700 but I can't. I'm going back to 0400. I'm not planning on using Goggles and I'm not happy with Gimbal performance.

For my aircraft... 0400 is better and I'm downgrading while I can.

Best of luck to you guys on 0700. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what others come across their experience.

Mike
I don't know if that was a FW issues. But as I write it was only on the 2nd video and maybe it caused from the high velocity wind. Because this "lag" it appears only when I tried to flight against the wind.

I read several post mentioning multiple successful flights since upgrading. So I decided to go ahead and upgrade my ios setup(10.2.1). The A/C and R/C are both on 1.03.0700. Since I can't rollback the app, I left it with the 4.0.7 GO4 version. I flew one 15 minute non stop flight that went well. The video throughout the flight appeared solid on playback. Prior tp the flight I adjusted all setting to what I've using so if something was different it would show up from what I'm use to. The one thing that stood out to me was with the "Yaw Speed", it seem to be faster which is something I would have to stick in the "Con" column. I had already set the sensitivity to 50, Gain at 95, and now I'll need to tweak my own flying characteristics to slow it down some more.

At any rate, one flight is not enough to toot any horns over, yet. But so far I was a little surprised flew as well as it did. I will check the distance on the next test flight.

I have also the same "issue"! I find also that the yaw speed a bit faster.

Reactions: Timbooo
If it was a ribbon cable, it would be an issue on all firmware versions.

if it was a GO4 app issue, it would be on all android devices hosting that app.

My speculation guess to such issue would be either a device setting, or a unknown background app interference, or a connecting usb cable. Oh..and one major possibility I forgot to include which is "nougat android 7". I spoke with the DJI beta admin for the GO4 app in China, and he said issues can be expected for those setup with the nougat firmware. He mentioned that the GO4 software is coded based on "android 5.5". He said it would take a complete GO4 app rebuild for that software (nougat) to function properly with GO4. That is the main reason I switched from my nVidia K1 Shield to my mini 2.

The ribbon cable issue will be very random and so it is easy to conclude that it is a firmware issue just because it was observed after upgrading. Also the firmware would have caused it to happen on every Mavic that uses the same version.

Anyway, if you feel using older firmware fixes it then fine. But I would personally be returning it (or DIY cable swap) to be sure...

Trying to upgrade, but to no avail. Tried over wi fi, says downloading, but stays at 0% until batts are almost flat. Trying now through Dji assist, same thing, just stays at 0%, with batts running down. Never had any problems before.

Question .... I have always updated before but ... can I just ignore and still fly? Lets say I'm headed to the mountains and I get an update notice. Am I locked out of flying until I update?

No, just fly, this happened to me,I got the notice, but was out of phone signal for a week. I flew the whole week perfectly fine, just gave me the warning every time I started the Mav up

Reactions: grizzard
Question .... I have always updated before but ... can I just ignore and still fly? Lets say I'm headed to the mountains and I get an update notice. Am I locked out of flying until I update?

You don't have to update the firmware. Just ignore it and tap "Go Fly". Your not obligated to update just because there is one available.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet