DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I fly bvlos now?

• Thread starter Deleted member 160650
  • Start date
One would have to wonder that if a truthful answer was not expected or desired, then why ask the question?

Well this has been quite entertaining . . . I absolutely applaud the moderators for letting it continue. Best read (with a cup of joe) I've had in a while. Carry on pilots!

Perfect timing, directly on point, and good news!

This is perhaps the most relevant piece:

1. Take a “Risk-Based” approach to regulation.

A "risk-based" approach...what a concept!

Where have we heard *that* before...?

;-)

TCS
Yes! Perfect timing and quite intriguing . . . thank you for this. I'll unpack the 200+ page report this weekend.

Reactions: Torque
If he took it as "sharp" that's on him and only him.
I disagree.

Effective communication is the responsibility of both the listener *and* the speaker.
f you take 2-words and 2 exclamation points and you ADD all that emotion, bullying, and all the other stuff that's on YOU!
Suppose he did none of that. Suppose his response was just honest surprise to a comment that was arguably unnecessarily harsh, in response to an honest question?

Not everyone is as thick skinned as you and I are, and it's neither reasonable nor desirable to expect them to be.
I say what I mean and I don't beat around the bush.
Being a bit kinder and gentler with new guys does not constitute beating around the bush.
If I had meant more by it I would have put it CLEARLY in the message.
Sometimes...many times...people "mean" things without consciously thinking about meaning them. Sometimes, those things come out in tones, rather than words.

Communication is a dialog, not a monolog.

Thx,

TCS

For those who are asking about flying BVLOS this is a "micro" primer on this newly released info about it...

For those who are asking about flying BVLOS this is a "micro" primer on this newly released info about it...

This was helpful and clarifying, thanks.

I knew we weren't there yet based on this, but it is motion in the right direction.

TCS

BVLOS will be out of reach for the recreational flyer into the foreseeable future. The FAA is focused on the commercial use of BVLOS - drone delivery, inspection, etc..
What are you talking about?

Have you never flown a DJI product? 😉

The lack of rules governing BVLOS flight is the problem. Almost everyone does it, and many lie about being pure as the driven snow right here in this forum.

I fly BVLOS all the time. Or better put, Out of Visual Line Of Sight, because usually it's not far when I can't see it, just obscured.

Probably just me, but flying beyond 100 yards my ability to judge depth (i.e. how far away things are relative to each other) is non-existent. This is critical to safety.

IMO, after flying these direct view camera drones for seven years, The world is much safer with me looking through the camera while flying, not doing my best to guess whether or not that tiny spec flying laterally is going to clear that Eucalyptus tree or not. I can guarantee it looking through the camera.

We need to acknowledge and adapt to reality. Most people do fly BVLOS. Heck, most people grabbing footage are focused on the shot, and aren't paying attention (nor really care) if/when they get out of VLOS while getting the footage.

The FAA needs to establish rules, best practices, training and certification for legally flying out of LOS. It's baloney that it's somehow so inherently unsafe as compared to LOS flying that it needs to be prohibited.

BVLOS can be a touchy subject in this group...
It's all just so much Virtue Signaling.

IMO (emphasis on the O, not accusing anyone specifically of anything), everyone here has, and at least on occasion does fly BVLOS knowingly and deliberately.

And of those that are experienced and responsible, I also don't believe they're sweating bullets anxious that they're taking enormous safety risk.

That's what I believe, based on interaction with y'all over my time in this pursuit.

Good morning to all-
EpicFlight_ I tend to agree with your statement totally. I do expect most if not all of us who fly drones send their little birds out past line of sight- some from time to time, some do it constantly. And I do agree that controlling a drone flight based on the video screen and location screen readings is much more efficient and accurate than trying to judge drone position by line of sight when the drone is out there a ways.
And anyway, why do drone makers make drones with control distances measured in kilometers and miles if we are never allowed to fly our drones out of line of sight? Yes, I know the rules, and I also know reality. Our drones can fly that far because most flyers want them to go that far under control.
So, let the folks who need to honk about BVLOS make noise. As I have said before, i will not report on any of my flight distances ever again on this forum- it just gets some folks too upset with me, and I don't need any more of that.

I hope to go flying this afternoon- it would be good for me.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Reactions: Captain744
Since so many people on this forum act like it is a place to get support and praise for not complying with the regulations and rules
Really? I certainly haven't seen anything like that in my short time here, and the assertion strikes me as rather insulting and rude to members that think this is a serious flaw in the current rules that should be addressed.

"Many" is abstract, but not meaningless. If you truly believe this site is infested with such, well, that's your opinion that you have a right to. If you were just a bit frustrated, you might consider a little more respect for those you disagree with.

For my part, I openly admit I break those rules. And I'm probably a safer, lower risk pilot while doing it than some in this forum flying VLOS within 100 ft.

Safety is 99% the pilot. Rules are for reckless/ignorant/foolish/etc. pilots, most of whom abandon the hobby after weeks/months, when they get bored.

Those that get the fever and stay with it are the Real™ Pilots, and the FAA needs to address this group in the rules and regs. We are ignored, instead included with all the transitory noobs.

• Haha
Reactions: Beet
If he took it as "sharp" that's on him and only him. I go to great lengths to write posts that leave little to no grey area...
Important to keep in mind that "little to no grey area" is simply your opinion, and I've seen nothing of substance in your postings, or defense of them, to indicate you are any less subject to the same imperfections as anyone else. The fact that most of this thread is argument over this is proof.

The fact that someone with the power you have here is so closed-minded to considering other's views about how your post came across to them is concerning to me FWIW.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: Beet and Torque
Important to keep in mind that "little to no grey area" is simply your opinion, and I've seen nothing of substance in your postings, or defense of them, to indicate you are any less subject to the same imperfections as anyone else. The fact that most of this thread is argument over this is proof.

The fact that someone with the power you have here is so closed-minded to considering other's views about how your post came across to them is concerning to me.
Have you really researched what @BigAl07 does for the community? Hmmm I don't really think so.

Last edited:
According to the PI video released today, the FAA conceded to Reno Fire Department received a waiver to fly BVLOS. This is a good sign that new technologies maybe will be considered in the feature if demonstrated can be sufficiently safe.

Check the minutes 8:50 of the video.

Last edited:
@EpicFlight the problem is that people like you don't understand all the implications of flying drones...to fly drones you need an authority...that authority is the FAA...they call the shots ....it is not necessary for them to change to meet the wants of the hobby...those who wish to fly have to comply with the regs...whether we like them are not ...the rules are for everyone ...not just the "reckless/ignorant/foolish/etc" that you mention...your post in itself is an example of what I am referencing...you admit you break the regs, and it seems that you think it is fine...and drone operators are not ignored...the existence of the FAA's Drone Zone is proof

And anyway, why do drone makers make drones with control distances measured in kilometers and miles if we are never allowed to fly our drones out of line of sight?
One might ask why automakers sell cars in the US with speedometers that read 120 mph or more if we're not allowed to drive that speed.

@EpicFlight I can respect your aptitude because very inside of you probably you think "this would never happen to me"
I need to admit is I may be in your shoes in the past. You may feel safer looking by a camera and I agree with you because I can have a much better judgment from the deep perspective looking from the camera.

The problem is that we need to think beyond that point of view. We need to consider our ears can not hear a distressed airplane or helicopter coming close to the drone and you lose awareness of the situation that can result in a catastrophe that only can be avoided if you are close to the drone. If managed aircraft or helicopter flies so fast that is unable to see a drone until is too late.

Check this video on the minute 0:25 to give you an example of situations that can happen. Is all about minimizing risk.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slave2soul