DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I fly bvlos now?

• Thread starter Deleted member 160650
  • Start date
How will remote ID restrict the pilot to VLOS? Flying within VLOS is already part of the regulations.
My guess is that the transmitted data will include determining the GPS location of the aircraft and the pilot/controller. An easy calculation to determine distance with knowledge of local visibility will give a reasonable estimate of the max range for VLOS. Of course the drone could be closer and not visible as well.

I always try to fly VLOS, but in reality it does not work. Even if I have the drone 200 feet form me, the background and the sunlight makes it invisible, although I can guess where it is but I cannot see it. Am I breaking the VLOS rules ?

Back to the topic or close the thread please.

I always try to fly VLOS, but in reality it does not work. Even if I have the drone 200 feet form me, the background and the sunlight makes it invisible, although I can guess where it is but I cannot see it. Am I breaking the VLOS rules ?

Technically yes, if sunlight is stopping you seeing your drone when looking up for it, then VLOS is broken like being behind a hill, or trees etc.
Mind you, you probably can't see any aircraft in that area too if you hear a plane or heli approaching.

In reality though ?
You should know where the drone is basically, not be too far out that when you move out of the suns line you will be able to pick it up again, much like flying around that obstacle that might be blocking view of the drone before coming back into sight.

That happens to me all the time flying fixed wing RC aircraft. I could be wrong but you just need to be able to reacquire VLOS within a reasonable time frame. However I don't attempt to fly blind because it would result in a crashed RC plane. I simply avoid that situation as best as I can.

Reactions: BigAl07
Well this has been quite entertaining . . . I absolutely applaud the moderators for letting it continue. Best read (with a cup of joe) I've had in a while. Carry on pilots!
I was about 5 comments in when I scrolled back to the top to see if the thread had been locked!

• Haha
Reactions: Skywatcher2001
No, not unless you have a partner who will help you keep vls and you're in direct communication with them.

@FlySkyJumper As of right now a VO can NOT extend VLOS. The RPIC and VO (if utilized) must be ABLE to see the UAS during the entire flight. VO is not able to extend the RPIC's VLOS in any way.

Reactions: dronerdave
The VO MUST be colocated and in communication with the RPIC according to what I have read on the FAA site. Meaning standing near.

I've seen Eucalyptus trees in drone videos in the US, and always wondered if they are species from Australia.
We generally call them Gum trees.
I was curious so went for a look around the web, noted on Wiki that while many countries do cultivate our species, there are 9 varieties that are non Australian . . . so there you go, we don't have exclusive ownership of our beloved Gum tree.
Always lived in N Cali, and Eucalyptus have been a part of my life.

I was told as a child they were a transplant from Australia when there was the idea it would be good lumber, grows easy and fast.

Well, it's lousy building material, but indeed grows anywhere and fast, and what do you know?

It's everywhere here on the west coast 🤣

No, no no, this CAN cause confusion (LOL, totally just taking the mickey 😆😛😉).

Great having so many backgrounds and people in foreign lands here / diversity in countries, the World really is a smaller place still due to this mix.

Sometimes as a consequence of language, lack of facial expressions, and sometimes a general lack of schooling opportunities in some places, peoples speeling (lol, pun intended), grammar, text expression can cause a little confusion.
Grammar police will jump on people sometimes, but most can easily work out what people mean, it's not hard to do so and not rebuke peoples use of the English language.

Just very glad the forum is in English, and not any of the 7000 + other languages across the globe !!
Communication face to face is imperfect as it is.

Insisting that someone meant what you "heard" is what the "speaking" party intended, despite them insisting otherwise, is among the more uncivil behaviors in discussion among arguable strangers.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
@EpicFlight I can respect your aptitude because very inside of you probably you think "this would never happen to me"
That's right, I think that. In fact, I know with 100% certainty, no doubt, no chance at all that that would happen to me.

Reason: I would never make that flight. With or without a spotter. It's reckless.

My guess is that the transmitted data will include determining the GPS location of the aircraft and the pilot/controller. An easy calculation to determine distance with knowledge of local visibility will give a reasonable estimate of the max range for VLOS. Of course the drone could be closer and not visible as well.
Maybe the subject for another thread but IMO, "the future" of the hobby drones will be based on the availability of "safe" airspace if/when commercial delivery of merchandise via. drones, becomes a reality.

Reactions: BigAl07
wow what a thread this turned out to be
there were times when i felt like i was back at school learning grammar
the subject of BVLOS is ,and always has been, a bone of contention ,not only on this forum
but with regards to flying drones through out the world
and in recent times ,has been exasperated ,by the emergence of drones improved capabilities ,with regards to the distance that they can be flown ,from the person controlling them.
BVLOS can be flown legally ,if the correct procedures and permissions have been agreed
and the pilot has the necessary competency to undertake such a flight
another point that comes up quite a lot on the forum ,is the subject of using drones to deliver products ,in situations in remote areas ,this can be a cost effective way of rapid deployment of medical supplies ,but being realistic ,flying in urban or heavily populated areas safely,is a long long way off ,

We all know what we’re “Supposed” to do.
But in all honesty, once a drone is up in the air, it’s very hard to keep track of, unless you have a spotter with binoculars.
When I’m trying to concentrate on a shot, I’m too focused on the screen to keep track of the drone with my eyes.
Yes, I do use a spotter, but even they can lose track of the drone when it’s flying around…
A little common sense goes a very long way concerning this subject.

Some of the commercial guys can get BVLOS waiver now, but still not hobby guys.

But the FAA encourages us to all get part 107 so why not everybody?

400 feet up or 400 feet out would practically be BVLOS.

However, typically the radio link has to be line of sight as well.

Some of the commercial guys can get BVLOS waiver now, but still not hobby guys.

But the FAA encourages us to all get part 107 so why not everybody?

400 feet up or 400 feet out would practically be BVLOS.

However, typically the radio link has to be line of sight as well.
Are you asking why recreational users cannot get BVLOS waivers? Those are very rarely available outside public safety operations, not least because they require a TFR to be put in place to deconflict with other air traffic. That's simply not happening for any kind of recreational flight.

Reactions: GFields
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13