DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can use second USB port on controller

Tuskegee Airman

Reactions
I was hoping to use my iPad mini to control my new Mavic 2. Are used the lower USB port to connect the tablet to my old Mavic controller, but it doesn’t work with the new controller.

I was hoping to use my iPad mini to control my new Mavic 2. Are used the lower USB port to connect the tablet to my old Mavic controller, but it doesn’t work with the new controller.
Unless you are using the side port to charge your controller (from a battery pack) it must be unplugged to use the bottom port.

Reactions: g36pilot
Unless you are using the side port to charge your controller (from a battery pack) it must be unplugged to use the bottom port.
So you are saying i can charge the controller while using the bottom USB port for tablet and fly at the same time?

So you are saying i can charge the controller while using the bottom USB port for tablet and fly at the same time?

NO. You canNOT use both ports at the same time. But I have found that I can leave one of those magnetic usb attachments in the side port and connect my tablet to the bottom usb and that works. Also, leaving the tablet connected at the bottom (but not using it), I was still able to charge the controller with the side port.

You can use the bottom USB-A port for connecting your mobile AND the side port for charging at the same time - yes ... I did this a couple of days ago while doing back to back flight tests with different prop-sets. Since I use an Android phone, my controller tends to charge my phone and therefore the controller battery is drained a little faster. I flew the tests with a charging USB cable plugged into the side micro-USB port, while my phone running Go 4 was plugged into the bottom USB-A connection. While that's not a practical set up for flying out in the field, I'm certainly going to take a rechargeable USB power-brick with me to plug into the controller while I'm flying and extend its battery life!
IMG_20181124_095144.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22
NO. You canNOT use both ports at the same time. But I have found that I can leave one of those magnetic usb attachments in the side port and connect my tablet to the bottom usb and that works. Also, leaving the tablet connected at the bottom (but not using it), I was still able to charge the controller with the side port.
Just as a matter of interest, I also use the magnetic tipped USB cables for charging and leave a micro-USB tip plugged into the controller. I used one initially in the test I've mentioned in post #8 above and had the problem that my Mavic wouldn't hover at constant altitude ... It slowly descended. I came to the conclusion that it was the magnetic head of the USB cable that I was using to keep the controller charged, as it was sitting on the side of the active controller ... The 2-pieces of the plug must have been interfering with the controller, and giving an every so slight down-stick! I've not seen any problems like this with just the tip plugged into the micro-USB however. The tips are slightly magnetic, but nowhere near as magnetic as the block on the end of the cable.
NetDot.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22
Is there a any type of flight benefit to connect the controller to the bottom USB port vs the side port when flying?

Is there a any type of flight benefit to connect the controller to the bottom USB port vs the side port when flying?
You can use a much more robust cable to connect the controller from the USB-C port in its base, to the phone/tablet - and you can then put a NetDot type mag' tip in the side port for charging. That way you don't need to plug-unplug a micro-USB into the side port all the time and risk breaking it.

Reactions: g36pilot

I use the bottom USB port when connecting an iPad to the controller. DJIs Ground Station Pro software only runs on the iPad. It’s not possible to use the side connector with an iPad

Has anyone tried charging the controller through the USB-A port on the bottom? I dont seem to have a USB-A to USB-A cable, so cant try it..

Who here has NOT made that mistake (leaving something plugged into the side port while wondering why the iPad plugged into the bottom wasn't connecting). I did more than once the first couple of days

Tuskegee Airman: you can indeed plug an iPad into the side port. I did it for awhile before I read about how that's not a good idea (saving it for charging only to keep from wearing it out).

Chris

Has anyone tried charging the controller through the USB-A port on the bottom? I dont seem to have a USB-A to USB-A cable, so cant try it..
The controller will NOT charge via the USB-A port in the base ... It just isn't standard to use a USB-A type connection point to charge a device. USB standards put the charge 'source' on the USB-A end of the cable, and use a micro-USB type connection at the 'client' (to be charged) end.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_