DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Casey Neistat has the drones you're looking for.

I was listening to the Ask Drone U podcast last night and the host was mentioned that Casey Neistat is on his 17th Mavic Pro and unless you had $17,000 to spend on Mavics like Casey, make sure you're calibrating as needed. His cohost was like, "Seriously?" The host says something to the effect of, "Well, what do you expect, he's flying between building all the time." I thought that was funny.
Casey get those drones free

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using MavicPilots mobile app

No disagreement here. To me until he announced his deal with CNN I had no idea he was worth a dollar it still surprises me how much revenue there is to generate from YouTube videos . I'll admit I'm jealous I wake up at the crack of dawn to go put in a hard week of work if not more, like most everyone else in this forum I would love to be making YouTube videos for a living

Think of it this way. Casey gets more viewers DAILY on his videos then the season finale of Walking Dead. It's all about advertising dollars.

Reactions: Squamer
No disagreement here. To me until he announced his deal with CNN I had no idea he was worth a dollar it still surprises me how much revenue there is to generate from YouTube videos . I'll admit I'm jealous I wake up at the crack of dawn to go put in a hard week of work if not more, like most everyone else in this forum I would love to be making YouTube videos for a living

I would love to make what he makes on Youtube alone, but I think the point is YouTube hasn't made him very much money in his total career. I think its made him well know which surely only helped him secure other paid jobs. Altho all this is just a ruff guess from a few articals and info posted online like this one.

They estimate he takes home a little over 1/2 mil a year and even if that was 1 mil a year (maybe they forgot something) from youtube, he just sold his video app for way more then he ever made on youtube. And even before youtube he had the 2 mil deal with HBO plus there has been other decent paid commercial jobs. So even though again I would love to make .5 to 1 mil a year (youtube or other for that matter) Casey hasn't made is worth from youtube and that was my point all along. He got well known, but not rich from youtube. The argument will be did that 25mil which is the biggest chunk to date come only because of youtube or not. And I'm sure some of it did. But he didn't only get rich from Youtube, people just now know him because of it.

That's a mistake. Think about it. Each one takes about 2 weeks best case (and only that fast since Jan - before that it was much longer). There are simply not enough weeks since the introduction for this to be even close to true. I ordered another one on Jan 14 and it hasn't even shipped yet.

Yea, so like you said 500k a year to shoot YouTube videos..... wouldn't hear me complaining

You are correct he did HBO but lets be serious. Did he really reach the fame and success he is at now because of just that, or is it because of youtube as well. Absolutely no denying HBO got him the start but if he quit right then and there do you think he would be just another nobody?

Seriously!!
If I put you and your family on an HBO documentary what do you think would happen?
Lots of people have huge YouTube channels and only a fraction of them are known outside of their subscriber base. Have you ever watched a Casey video with him walking around New York? It seems like a lot of people from age 10-60 know this guy and like him.

And yes the guys who say this is his second Mavic are correct. He had an early one and lost it and now he has a new one. He has about 5-6 version of the Phantom hanging on his wall.

Last edited:
Yea, so like you said 500k a year to shoot YouTube videos..... wouldn't hear me complaining

Making money on YouTube is highly over rated. A few in the top 10 do make 500K, but a typical big channel with 1-3 million subscribers might make $150K but they will need to pay staff and have lots of good contacts to find interesting stuff to film. At the end of the day after expenses that $150 will probably be $50K in your pocket. It's a Rat race that sucks the life out of people very quickly.

Reactions: rvrboy17
Seriously!!
If I put you and your family on an HBO documentary what do you think would happen?
Lots of people have huge YouTube channels and only a fraction of them are known outside of their subscriber base. Have you ever watched a Casey video with him walking around New York? It seems like a lot of people from age 10-60 know this guy and like him.

And yes the guys who say this is his second Mavic are correct. He had an early one and lost it and now he has a new one. He has about 5-6 version of the Phantom hanging on his wall.

I think if you put me and my fam on hbo like 19 people would watch it hahaha

I think you guys missed my point. I feel like you're making it out like I don't like the guy. I stated earlier I've watched his videos, when I got my Mavic his video was probably one of the first I watched. I give the guy a ton of credit because of what he's done. My point was I can't believe the potential of making 50-500k on YouTube. 15 years ago you would think that was a crazy thought. To me it's not all about making money, its interesting the different avenues that people can squeeze income out out of.

Last edited:
Making money on YouTube is highly over rated. A few in the top 10 do make 500K, but a typical big channel with 1-3 million subscribers might make $150K but they will need to pay staff and have lots of good contacts to find interesting stuff to film. At the end of the day after expenses that $150 will probably be $50K in your pocket. It's a Rat race that sucks the life out of people very quickly.

Agreed Casey probley spent a tone of money in his earlier years just to make his videos.

Now we can see gets alot of products for free to talk about them (but not all), but he still flys all over the world for his videos, has editing equipment, camera equipment, a new york office, staff and other overhead to pay for. Plus taxes. So even if he makes 500k to 1mil a year that's not take home.

Reactions: Robbyg
Well I think we could all agree on one thing? It wasn't his movie star looks that made the difference. It always kind of cheers me up when I see that mug on YouTube! Hey I'm not bad looking after all!

Reactions: integlikewhoa
I just read his Wikipedia page. There's 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Someone even said that he'd owned 7 cars as of about age 30. So what? I was on car #7 or so by time I was 30 (yeah, good old days, find a new shiny toy and get it!).

People are FAR too entranced by Celebrity. Including "Celebrity for Celebrity's Sake" which Casey is a prime example of.

I just read his Wikipedia page. There's 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Someone even said that he'd owned 7 cars as of about age 30. So what? I was on car #7 or so by time I was 30 (yeah, good old days, find a new shiny toy and get it!).

People are FAR too entranced by Celebrity. Including "Celebrity for Celebrity's Sake" which Casey is a prime example of.
Like the Kardashian thing...Famous for being famous!

Reactions: Squamer
I don't think Casey is merely "famous for being famous". He has put a LOT of work into making his videos, be they films or commercials or daily vlogs. He put a lot of work into the company he started, Beme. He is a very driven person. I do not get that kind of vibe from the Kardashian clan et al.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Like the Kardashian thing...Famous for being famous!

When anybody is ready to do this let me know :)
I have watched about 10 of his videos,, I do not get caught up in celebrity BS but I do appreciate when a guy is willing to put his money where his mouth is.

I can't quite figure out why this guy is such a big deal?? I guess he has a following in the millions......must be a generational thing?
Just watch a few of his videos and you will understand. He is a really good video maker. Watch the one of him snowboarding in times square and being filmed by his drone.

Just watch a few of his videos and you will understand. He is a really good video maker. Watch the one of him snowboarding in times square and being filmed by his drone.

I DID watch a few of his videos. I chose them based on the titles of the videos. They were all clickbait. Mostly him walking around in NYC, or LA, or showing him getting ready to go to one or the other, as he talks about something, and then it's over.

Click

Bait.

And it gave him more "views" and more income. He doesn't care if you like him or just come to laugh at him, it's viewership.

I'm not saying that it isn't work being a celebrity "just for being a celebrity". It takes real work and hours to produce content to get the clicks. I'm just saying that in the brief time I took to watch a half dozen videos, there was nothing interesting about the content. Just me... waiting for him to do something... and it never happened.

Maybe my sample size was too small. But I don't intend to give him more money just to prove to you that I found something interesting there.

Compare that to, say, "SmarterEveryDay" where he takes a topic, spends time and energy setting it up, and does something interesting with it. Every time. OK, maybe he relies on slow-mo too much these days, but he tries to apply a scientific concept and put it in plain words or illustrate it via video.

And then there's Veratasium, another video blogger that is even more steeped in science. Great stuff.

Of, you can take a guy who gets free gear and treats it like crap. He plays to the average IQ. That's why he gets so many viewers.

Reactions: GlenT
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure