DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Class Action for Bad Batteries?

heffneil

Reactions
I am considering organizing a class action about the Mavic batteries. I am pissed. My Mavic is 11 months old. I conversed with them because I got a battery warning. They said I had a 12 month warranty in an email then said no you have a 6 month. I am not kidding when I tell you it failed and I discharged (despite them not tell me how to operate the mavic with the error to discharge) and recharged and this was the THIRD cycle. Literally I hadn't used this battery two times. They are blaming me even though this is an intelligent battery and discharges itself on the shelf. Not pleased with the product or the support.

This has caused me to consider discussing the case with a product attorney. Anyone know anything about other litigation or care to join me?

Thanks!

Neil

A class action is a type of lawsuit where one of the parties is a group of people who are represented collectively by a member of that group.

As you are not a group, and the fee you would be charged for discussing this with an attorney is likely considerably more than the price of a new battery, I'd say relax and get a new battery.

They said I had a 12 month warranty in an email then said no you have a 6 month
Some parts of the Mavic are covered for 12 months. The battery is only covered for 6 months though. You can find more details in the DJI warranty.

Literally I hadn't used this battery two times
What did you do with the battery when it wasn't being used? How many months passed without touching it?

Reactions: Kilrah and Clinton1
Yeah I’d file a case on behalf of myself and all those who have had bad batteries in a short period of time and harmed. I’m not worried about the fees it’s about the principle of screwing customers of the product. Companies aren’t held accountable for their products and they need to be

Some parts of the Mavic are covered for 12 months. The battery is only covered for 6 months though. You can find more details in the DJI warranty.

What did you do with the battery when it wasn't being used? How many months passed without touching it?

It sat. I admit it. But this battery is self storing according to them where it will go to a safe level for storage

You really cannot let DJI batteries sit idle for more than 3 months max. That can often cause permanent damage.

FWIW, the DJI Battery Safety Guidelines states you should charge the batteries every 3 months. The Mavic manual doesn't include that recommendation, but it does recommend you read those guidelines. I don't know if you'll have much of a case after handing that document over to a reputable lawyer.

I can’t take responsibility for broken crap. I didn’t abuse anything and ask for them to take care of it. It’s shameful because it’s not a cheap battery.

Maybe it's time to go lawyer up then. In the end, either you or DJI is going to learn a very expensive lesson.

Go for it. Interested in seeing how far you get.

My bet, you will not get past first consultation with a lawyer. I would go as far as predicting you will not go that far and that you are just venting on your keyboard like so many other warriors out there with limited knowledge

I can’t take responsibility for broken crap. I didn’t abuse anything and ask for them to take care of it. It’s shameful because it’s not a cheap battery.

So things that break are someone else’s fault by default?

If you accept that you missed the warning about not leaving battery to totally discharge for more than three months you’ll feel much better.

Reactions: Kilrah
Maybe the OP is having a ‘senior moment’... his profile says he’s 118 years old lol...

Call Attorney Lionel Hutz. He has a fool proof strategy to get you out of this: Surprise witnesses, each more surprising than the last. I tell you, the judge won't know what hit him!

I use 7 different mavic batteries in two different aircraft and have had no battery issues in over a year of flying.

I read the forums often and battery failures appear to be pretty rare.

What are you smoking?! If you’d taken the time to understand the technology of these batteries, you’d have followed the guidelines for recharging the battery within 3 months and you wouldn’t have had a problem. You’re going to have zero success with any legal challenge!

For the time and money its going to cost you, just put it down to one of life's lessons, go buy another battery and let it go.

You can rage against DJI, pull your hair out, call in the lawyers, have an heart attack at the stress its causing and you'll still get nowhere.

If its really bothering you that much and you want to shove it to DJI, the best way of dealing with this is to sell your Mavic and buy another non DJI drone.

Then realise that those other companies will probably react exactly the same as DJI should the same happen.

We buy all this tech stuff knowing these companies don't give a **** when we've parted with the money.
They are ruthless which is why they are worth billions.

Here is an analogy to put this in perspective.

You buy a car. It has lots of upgrades, like cruise control. It has a manual. You don’t read the manual.

You depress the clutch to cancel the cruise control, and inadvertently mow down 4 people, killing them. It’s a VW and their cruise control only cancels if you brake or press cancel.

Is it...

A. Your fault for not reading the manual?
B. VWs fault for selling you the car?

This episode has cost you £85 for a new battery rather than a long time in the pokey. If the battery had failed during a flight because you’d not followed the instructions it could have potentially (okay it’s a minuscule chance) have fallen from the sky and killed someone. That would be DJIs fault?

If batteries could currently be made that didn’t degrade and didn’t require features like self discharge, do you not think they’d prefer to be selling them?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kasperskyy