DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DIY landing/storage pad

mbre

Reactions
I made a DIY landing/storage pad a few weeks ago with US$12 of materials from the DollarStore + glue and lollipop sticks I already had. My design includes a lid which protects my M2P equipment from other stuff while travelling.
If there is sufficient interest I will add a BoM and a “how to”. Unfortunately I did not take photos during my “build”!0B0F1851-1BD9-4946-ABC7-6CBA3C55B31E.jpeg65194F0B-D58E-4E7A-943F-CD4212ED43B8.jpegDFC74A67-40AB-469F-80E7-563934281AAE.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice, I wish I’d known u we’re building this I’d have bought shares in the sticky tape company :)
But it’s quite a small landing area, even with the M2P visual landing assist, I find it sometimes veers off coarse and in yr case u may damage the gimbal. Maybe u could add some extensions that just plug in the sides. I like idea of not having to constantly unfold & fold the M2Ps arms.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
And it looks like it will fit into just about any backpack! I mean, why would one want to buy a drone that has folding wings when you can fit a Phantom 4 AND my cowboy hat in that one case. Plus I can get in some exercise on the floor mats when I'm doing yoga while flying. hahaha.

I made a DIY launching pad a few weeks ago with US$12 of materials from the DollarStore + glue and lollipop sticks I already had. My design includes a lid which protects my M2P equipment from other stuff while travelling.
If there is sufficient interest I will add a BoM and a “how to”. Unfortunately I did not take photos during my “build”!View attachment 77478View attachment 77479View attachment 77482
very nice? I’ve used an USPS Priority Box in the past. And they’re free?

Reactions: JimR78
Very nice, I wish I’d known u we’re building this I’d have bought shares in the sticky tape company :)
But it’s quite a small landing area, even with the M2P visual landing assist, I find it sometimes veers off coarse and in yr case u may damage the gimbal. Maybe u could add some extensions that just plug in the sides. I like idea of not having to constantly unfold & fold the M2Ps arms.
Regarding the size for the landing area, it’s about the same size as this $135 product:
what a coincidence! It may not be as big as I’d like, but it sure saves my fingers.

With the few cents I spent on Dollarstore sticky tape, don’t count on your sticky tape shares to boost your pension fund?

I LIKE...you went out and put something together that is functional.

I am curious where you got the interlocking panels I call them...I havent seen them at any of our local Dollar style stores...

I see it at sporting goods stores for yoga and other activitys I assume but it seemed a bit pricey...same was true at places that sell it for "carpet" to use in your garage or workshop.

i found 4 panels for 8 dollars at a surplus building material store and wish I had bought more....

Keep Building, Keep Flying and oh yea...Keep Landing

As for the landing part...hopefully in One Piece with a straight Gimble

I learned the hard, expensive way what gimble repair costs when the pad is a bit tall and the bird sits down part on...part off the pad.;

I am curious where you got the interlocking panels I call them...I havent seen them at any of our local Dollar style stores...

I see it at sporting goods stores for yoga and other activitys I assume but it seemed a bit pricey...same was true at places that sell it for "carpet" to use in your garage or workshop.

i found 4 panels for 8 dollars at a surplus building material store and wish I had bought more....

I learned the hard, expensive way what gimble repair costs when the pad is a bit tall and the bird sits down part on...part off the pad.;
Check out Harbor Frieght for the pads. They’re not pretty colors but only $9 for four 25” x 25” pads.

Reactions: HRDuke
Thanks rduke.
The interlocking panels were from my local Dollerama store (Montreal). Found them in the kids toy section - packet of 4 rubber play mats (cdn$4). I will include a pic of the package when I do the BoM next week.

Are you making these for others or just this one for yourself?

Reactions: Slade and dirkclod
Are you making these for others or just this one for yourself?
Just for myself.
If you want ready made here it is:

Reactions: BigAl07
Just for myself.
Clever and far cheaper DIY alternative at 10% of the price of the commercial version! Rock on!

Just for myself.

Thank you.

Mine just came in from PhantomRain yesterday. Looking forward to testing it out ASAP.

Sorry to keep you waiting guys - had to go back to Dollarama to photo the original BoM packaging!

But here it is - enjoy, for those of you in retirement!
BoM and build explanations are attached with photos.

Attachments

• HOW TO - DIY Mavic Landing Pad.pdf
    691.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Sorry to keep you waiting guys - had to go back to Dollarama to photo the original BoM packaging!

But here it is - enjoy, for those of you in retirement!
BoM and build explanations are attached with photos.
How much for the plans? ?
FREE? What a Gentleman! ThumbswayupThumbswayupThumbswayup

Reactions: BigAl07
Here's a different twist on a landing pad. I wanted something that I could hand launch/land my Mavic Air from...and also use it in low grass or sand. I used a 16"x16" piece of pegboard as the base...and attached a handle. Then placed four lifts in the corners so that when it's placed on a level surface, it's stable and doesn't rock. If I had the tools, I could probably saw the pegboard in half and attach hinges to make it more portable. For now, it's easy to lug around. Parts cost me $20.

Attachments

• landingpad1-2.jpg
    landingpad1-2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 25
  • landingpad2-2.jpg
    landingpad2-2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 24
  • landingpad3-2.jpg
    landingpad3-2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 21

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads