DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

*****UPDATED Go 4 App*****
***NO ISSUES TO REPORT***
Updated iOS Go 4 app. Put it through all of the paces, flew far, flew high. Using iPhone 7 Plus. Live in the United States. Florida to be specific. Put it through all the paces and again no issues to report, so far. I also have iPad four, which I did not update. Also flew without issues as well.
d5534f73660197fcc947ffe84e3b17e1.jpg

Last edited:
Once again (is this the sixth time now?) this is all about China, and problems they're having there with drones around airports.

I don't have any actual data, but I suspect the Chinese market is pretty **** big for DJI drones. The changes taking place in authorization process is targeted at the Chinese market, and is being mandated by the Chinese government.

Its obvious the Spark is the DJI effort to meet fun consumer market share without having to meet FAA guidelines. I think they are trying to "work" both sides of the (registration) issue and make everyone happy when in fact they are making almost no one happy.

The "guidelines" are still in effect, and the Spark is over 0.55 lbs, therefore, if registration were still in effect, it would have to be registered just like any other UAS over 0.55 lbs.

There are already users reporting that they have updated and re activated and their Mavics are fine. There is nothing to suggest diminished capabilities after upgrading and re activating.
Absolutely correct. But that's only half of the update. The new companion firmware didn't come out yet.
I hope that all the speculation isn't correct, but you do realize that all the restrictions being put in place for chinese pilots, is now in the go app that you just updated, and will be in the upcoming firmware? What makes you think that DJI, at their whim, can't turn all that on?
You only get crippled if you don't re-register and do the update.

Can anyone tell me of any other company that cripples their product if you don't follow their demand (re-register) after a voluntary update to their software?
You must admit that it must be pretty important for DJI to update their user base with re-registering.....the question is why? If it is absolutely nothing, why force a re-register?

I find this whole thing kinda comical. People have taken sides, instead of taking a step back and really looking at the main issue of a forced re-registration, or ELSE.
several options that I can think of...
1. do nothing. Fly and enjoy your Mavic. No changes. No chance for further restrictions being put in place because you don't update and re-connect to DJI.
2. update the Go App. Don't re-register. Enjoy crippled functionality of your Mavic, courtesy of DJI.
3. Update the Go app and re-register. Fly and enjoy your Mavic, no changes that are apparent, unless you fly in China. Going forward, there may be local restrictions put in place as flight rules change (like China) for your area/country.
4. Ditch DJI and fly open source. No restrictions.
5. Fly a hobby airplane. No restrictions, (USA) flies higher, farther and longer than any drone can.

Thats all. No right or wrong decision. Do what is best for your situation.

Last edited:
Absolutely correct. But that's only half of the update. The new companion firmware didn't come out yet.
I hope that all the speculation isn't correct, but you do realize that all the restrictions being put in place for chinese pilots, is now in the go app that you just updated, and will be in the upcoming firmware? What makes you think that DJI, at their whim, can't turn all that on?
You only get crippled if you don't re-register and do the update.

Can anyone tell me of any other company that cripples their product if you don't follow their demand (re-register) after a voluntary update to their software?
You must admit that it must be pretty important for DJI to update their user base with re-registering.....the question is why? If it is absolutely nothing, why force a re-register?

I find this whole thing kinda comical. People have taken sides, instead of taking a step back and really looking at the main issue of a forced re-registration, or ELSE.
several options that I can think of...
1. do nothing. Fly and enjoy your Mavic. No changes. No chance for further restrictions being put in place because you don't update and re-connect to DJI.
2. update the Go App. Don't re-register. Enjoy crippled functionality of your Mavic, courtesy of DJI.
3. Update the Go app and re-register. Fly and enjoy your Mavic, no changes that are apparent, unless you fly in China. Going forward, there may be local restrictions put in place as flight rules change (like China) for your area/country.
4. Ditch DJI and fly open source. No restrictions.
5. Fly a hobby airplane. No restrictions, (USA) flies higher, farther and longer than any drone can.

Thats all. No right or wrong decision. Do what is best for your situation.

DJI needs to take a page out of Apples book by taking a stand for the privacy protections of its customers against government intrusion and overreach (i.e. Apple v. FBI in creating "backdoors")!

Last edited:
Obama! You need to worry about how this idiot trump is going to rape you and this country.

QUOTE="adiru, post: 196549, member: 7414"]I don't think DJI's intent is to create a 'no fly list' for counter terror purposes in the same manner a TSA "no fly list" we have today. And its not exactly like "spies" will be registering with DJI under their real names and stuff anyhow. So while certainty this can be used to individually target and spy on someone who is a person of interest, it doesn't seem like a practical intent. More likely, DJI is paving the way for the beginning steps of a registration list, being the defacto manufacturer of consumer drones, they are in the unique industry position to drive this, partly the appease governments, partly to benefit themselves. Eventually I could see this going down the route how like we have firearms registration in the USA right now. For example, wanna buy a new drone? It has to go through an DJI authorized dealer. That Dealer must perform check ID in person and those who can't pass a background check will be denied flying privileges. Just like felons cannot vote or people on no fly lists cannot fly, there might be a DJI list of people who are not allowed to fly DJI drones, and whatever criteria DJI sets will be even more strict than the governments criteria, since flying, and especially drone flying, is a privilege and not a constitutionally protected right (such as free speech etc) So I could see this going down the path of, oh so you are on probation? drone flying privileges revoked! Oh you own the IRS backtaxes? You can't fly drones until you pay up. Oh you are late on child support? Oh you are suffering from PTSD? Oh you posted a video or forum post critical of DJI? you get the idea.

I could see Obama saying : if you are too dangerous to fly, you are too dangerous to own a gun,

[erroneously conflating a privilege with a protected second amendment right, the bar for striping someone of their firearms is much higher, criminal conviction beyond a reasonable doubt, than the threshold of denying someone boarding on an aircraft, which can be based on secret suspicion alone]

if you are too dangerous to own a gun, you are too dangerous to buy a drone.

Sliding down the slippery slope we go!

lol[/QUOTE]

"DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update" -- May 20th.
Latest firmware with goggles support: 0700 -- May 5th.

Unless that last firmware from weeks ago has a time bomb in it (relying on GPS signals), I think we're good for now. I am saving the apk on the tablet and all software data so if I ever have to install on a new tablet or need to reinstall it I can continue where I left off and there will be no need for internet.

Fingers crossed that there is no time bomb. Last DJI drone for me (I'll still get the goggles though). I know it will be a long time before a competitor or a decent bird comes along which is open source but if the last firmware won't suddenly disable itself in a few months, I will keep using what I have now.

*****UPDATED Go 4 App*****
***NO ISSUES TO REPORT***
Updated iOS Go 4 app. Put it through all of the paces, flew far, flew high. Using iPhone 7 Plus. Live in the United States. Florida to be specific. Put it through all the paces and again no issues to report, so far. I also have iPad four, which I did not update. Also flew without issues as well.
d5534f73660197fcc947ffe84e3b17e1.jpg

@domination Can you confirm whether or not the toggle to turn on and off the GEO system is present in the newest Go4 app?

That's all I'd really like to know before updating.

Now let me put on my tin foil hat and come up with a conspiracy theory of my own. DJI releases the spark. It has some features unique to it like the hand control thing so in order to have one app for all these drones they have to tweak the existing one. While they are at it they might as well add the new NFZ stuff in there too. New version of the DJI GO app is born. Just like all the rest of us the new spark owners have to agree to the same TOS that we did to activate it. Now are they going to go through every customer and see who has what drone and who has already agreed to the TOS and create 2 different versions of the new app to send out to existing and new customers, or are they going to go the easier route and just make everyone re agree to the same TOS they already agreed to? Just a thought. Ill leave my hat by the door.

Did you know that the palm control also takes a picture of all five of your fingerprints.? lol

Dude, DJI is in Communist China! They have no rights! ;)

If you are so anti DJI, why did you support them. and purchase their pro duct and support the Chinese economy rather than an American made product? We await your response.

Also, As you appear negative to DJI and their business practices, trash your drone. It sounds like with your negativity, you would never want to have anyone else, even a future buyer, be imposed with the TOS. Remember, as a seller, in the US, you would be required to Disclose All Information about the drone that you are aware off.

@domination Can you confirm whether or not the toggle to turn on and off the GEO system is present in the newest Go4 app?

I updated my iPad but not iPhone.flew a battery on each.NO DIFFERENCE,NO ISSUES.
I can confirm geo toggle is still available on the latest app.im on iOS.

Reactions: domination
Has anyone actually been non compliant and seen the restrictions in the wild?

If this activation process is not performed, the aircraft will not have access to the correct geospatial information and flight functions for that region, and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware: Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high.

Obviously a few of you have not updated the DJIGo4 software & I am not referring toi this. . What I mean is updating and then not doing the activation process again.

I cannot see how after installing the new software you could end up with the above restrictions. Because if you do not sign in to the new app, you cannot even get past the sign in prompt to access the GO interface to fly with it , let alone be restricted. At least that is what I am seeing with the IOS app.

I suppose I could theoretically sign into someone else's DJIGo account in the new app, then log out again. Then I might get to the interface and fly my non activated Drone with the restrictions.

I updated my iPad but not iPhone.flew a battery on each.NO DIFFERENCE,NO ISSUES.
I can confirm geo toggle is still available on the latest app.im on iOS.

OK, so there's really nothing to fuss about, right?

If you're concenerned about flight restrictions just turn the geo toggle off. Or am I missing something?

Didn't check that. Perhaps someone has at this point - since I am not available to check. Was more concerned with overall performance - distance and height unimpeded.

Need to see what happens when the new firmware is pushed out. The app only controls the functions that are currently onboard the MP. No FW update, I guess no change in current functionality, but the app will remind you that there is mismatch every time you fly. Wonder if at some point they will try force an update?

I've read through some of this thread but I can't see DJI limiting there customers to flying in specific areas in the US. I work with one of the 6 UAS research centers who has a blanket COA to fly in the class C airspace near me. Both they and I have flown FAA sanctioned flights in that class C airspace for research purposes, using DJI aircrafts. If DJI was to limit the area their customers could fly, they would be forcing their customers to ditch their DJI crafts and move to something open source. I just don't see this happening.

Reactions: cmoney1976
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman