DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

Does this upgrade render these drones not fit for purpose.
We may have purchased these items for the features promised if these features are diminished or restricted have we now cause for a class action against DJI for selling us a pup?
There are already users reporting that they have updated and re activated and their Mavics are fine. There is nothing to suggest diminished capabilities after upgrading and re activating.

Reactions: Foxtrot Uniform
I guess it's not about being Chinese or American or whatever nationality of a company is but its all about the safety of everybody :)
No it's about purchasing something because of all the things that it or you can do with it and then taking away half of the those things you originally purchased it for.

Reactions: Spanish Flyer
No it's about purchasing something because of all the things that it or you can do with it and then taking away half of the those things you originally purchased it for.
Who is taking anything away? If you update and re activate you lose nothing. If you don't update you loose nothing. Whats the problem?

This argument is tired and false for 99.9% of MP owners. The 0.1% that can use this argument are the ones that read the original TOS before deciding to buy their MP. And even then I'm quite certain the TOS included a clause that allowed DJI to make future changes to the TOS because that clause exists in nearly all TOS.

But even before you get to the point of the TOS change... You are NOT forced to update and/or agree to the new TOS. You can stay exactly where you are today and absolutely nothing will change.

So the whole entire argument is nothing but unfounded speculation,fear mongering, and people looking for a reason to be upset.

Now let me put on my tin foil hat and come up with a conspiracy theory of my own. DJI releases the spark. It has some features unique to it like the hand control thing so in order to have one app for all these drones they have to tweak the existing one. While they are at it they might as well add the new NFZ stuff in there too. New version of the DJI GO app is born. Just like all the rest of us the new spark owners have to agree to the same TOS that we did to activate it. Now are they going to go through every customer and see who has what drone and who has already agreed to the TOS and create 2 different versions of the new app to send out to existing and new customers, or are they going to go the easier route and just make everyone re agree to the same TOS they already agreed to? Just a thought. Ill leave my hat by the door.

Wow.....some of you guys really overthink things, or are incredibly paranoid. Or both....LOL.......and actually, what are you gonna do about it? Hire are lawyer? start a class action suit?… Have fun......

Many of us Have flown the "nazi update" by now, and it's much ado about nothing. Everything works as advertised.

Don't say nothing has changed yet, this is part one ( app ) part two ( firmware ) will tell more.

So if the next firmware doesn't brick your Mavics then I guess it will be the NEXT one right? LOL!!

If you guys are that paranoid all the time then you should probably just get rid of your Mavics so that you can sleep better at night.

So if the next firmware doesn't brick your Mavics then I guess it will be the NEXT one right? LOL!!

If you guys are that paranoid all the time then you should probably just get rid of your Mavics so that you can sleep better at night.
They really shouldn't have an outdoor hobby. The chemtrails might make them crazy and harp will make the weather lousy for flying!!! LOL:D

Honestly, I can't see DJI actively trying to distroy the hobby of flying Drones. Nor trying to turn their business into 'big brother', but what I can see is a company who recognizes that their product has the potential to be very dangerous to the public, and it is very apparent that too many DJI drone users are totally irresponsible and don't give a crap about operating their drone in a safe manner.

So, with the government of many countries now stepping up to make sure the laws are very clear, very intentional and placing any poor judgement right in the lap of the operators, DJI is also doing the same.

If either the government or DJI did NOT set out to do everything possible to protect the public and something catastophic happens such as even a small aircraft is downed and people die, then both the government and DJI could have a stake in the liability because they did not take steps to make it absolutely clear what was legal and what was not and defining the operator as the sole person responsible.

Bottom line is, all of these steps to restrict the use of a drone is a result of the idiot(s) who simply don't give a crap and do stupid things that put everyone else in the hot seat.

It's a sad reality but many people are stupid and self centred with no regard... consequently, we're now here. We have no choice but to live with this reality.

Case in point just last week with a GoPro drone flown into a major baseball stadium and crashes full speed into the stands. Hello! That is exactly why all these new rules are being instigated. DJI nor the government want any part of the liability of these users, nor do they want more of this happening as more and more people buy drones. Something has to be done and sadly, this is the reality.

I would like to see restrictions lifted on low flight uses. I like using the drone for dolly shots and low level camera moves that are better than a crane shot and can easily be accomplished with a drone. Even 20 - 40 feet off the ground gives a video clip a great cinematic look. Basically, it's a great flying tripod that I really value. Having the freedom to use it in that regard would still make a drone a pleasure to us if you're into filming and storytelling.

It could also be related to Chinas clamping down on recreational drone usage. That, in combination with the anticipated but overruled FAA restrictions, probably caused the required update.

Any other thoughts or threads on MP about this one?

I started watching the China News Channel a while back because I could no longer stand the politics on CNN and Fox News here in the US, and my cable carrier doesn't have BBC International. As depicted in their news items, drone problems are rampant in China. I suspect this latest effort to restrict DJI drone flight is a reflection of China's problem. In a Communist state, such as China, this may be acceptable. In a Democratic society, such as most Western nations, not so palatable. Can you imagine having governors installed on our cars that would limit the throttle so we do not exceed the speed limit? Think of how many violators that would stop! I think DJI will take a major hit for this decision. Bad news for DJI.

Very well written Dave, .try and keep logical posts to a minimum here...LOL....dji is a business, they will do things that overall benefit them first and customers second. But will try to do both together.

Just came back after burning through 3 batteries. All FW and app are the latest. Just as I suspected everything was trouble free. It's gonna be a nice three-day weekend. Enjoy your drones and honor those that sacrificed for us to have that freedom. :)

I started watching the China News Channel a while back because I could no longer stand the politics on CNN and Fox News here in the US, and my cable carrier doesn't have BBC International. As depicted in their news items, drone problems are rampant in China. I suspect this latest effort to restrict DJI drone flight is a reflection of China's problem. In a Communist state, such as China, this may be acceptable. In a Democratic society, such as most Western nations, not so palatable. Can you imagine having governors installed on our cars that would limit the throttle so we do not exceed the speed limit? Think of how many violators that would stop! I think DJI will take a major hit for this decision. Bad news for DJI.

I agree, having visited and lived in a few communist and monarchical countries. When the government says you do, you do. No lawyers, no lawsuits, no civil rights. You do what they say, or you go to jail or worse. It must be so much easier for them to force DJI to restrict their drone owners domestic usage, than to go chasing and arresting all the drone pilots who violate China's sensitive, secure, or other NFZ's.

The USA has the FAA, and now Homeland defense is getting involved since the FAA registration policy got shot down. Soon, via executive order and congressional approval, the USA Homeland Security might have "sweeping powers" that will allow them to seize the drone, arrest or detain the pilot, and then determine his fate while he waits in jail with no access to lawyers or the outside world.

Except that the new app is here and guess what? Exactly nothing has changed.

Honestly, I can't see DJI actively trying to distroy the hobby of flying Drones. Nor trying to turn their business into 'big brother', but what I can see is a company who recognizes that their product has the potential to be very dangerous to the public, and it is very apparent that too many DJI drone users are totally irresponsible and don't give a crap about operating their drone in a safe manner.

I think DJI is very much in tune where things are going and has a _ton_ of insider information. So I highly suspect they are doing this in order to protect their sales in some way. That is not saying that DJI has been the best with implementation (they are not good at that at all). I'm sure they have had a lot of meetings with the bodies that govern airspace and are planning for the future.

Reactions: Former Member
Its obvious the Spark is the DJI effort to meet fun consumer market share without having to meet FAA guidelines. I think they are trying to "work" both sides of the (registration) issue and make everyone happy when in fact they are making almost no one happy.

Spark weighs 300 grams.

FAA says it's a sUAS. (It says the Parrot Bebop is, too)

Same FAA rules as for Mavic. No registration for now, but Part 107 if used commercially.

--
- - Art from the Air - -

Very well written Dave, .try and keep logical posts to a minimum here...LOL....dji is a business, they will do things that overall benefit them first and customers second. But will try to do both together.

Exactly. DJI is modifying firmware with restrictions in an effort to stave off catastrophic events (e.g., a drone collision at an airport) that would ultimately result in regulations that curtail the hobby. Such an event would likely result in a drop in DJI sales. This has already been published. The problem is, there isn't a one-size-fits-the-world solution. An FAA rep admitted to me that their own B4UFly app was not accurate, as it is extremely difficult to properly assess all the towered airports from non-towered airports from heliports from helipads... To think that big brains in China will find the solution is a farce.

Having said that, to conclude that this update is the end of the drone world is premature. Maybe most of their enhanced restrictions are limited to China. Maybe we will see absolutely no difference. Only time, and flying, will tell. I'll stop whining now. :p

P.S., for those talking about paranoia, the definition of paranoia is a baseless fear of threat. In this case, DJI announced its intentions, hence not baseless. Of course only time will tell. ;)

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne