DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

It seems that DJI made a unit that is more capable than they expected and which was taken up eagerly by the common folk. This has led to a big problem with things such as restricted/unsafe/private areas that were out of reach before.
Also the increase in incidents around airports etc has led to pressure from the Gov to pull this back.
Also many users attitudes of I can fly anywhere I want at any time may have been a challenge accepted by DJI.
DJI is a Chinese company and therefore owned by China which is fully prepared to deal with problems as they see fit.

But like I said the burden of the fallout should not be subsidized by the end users at the consumer's expense.
Either DJI does appropriate grandfathering in or they give option for those not accepting the new Terms to have their Mavic refunded.A buyback if you will, like how software says if you don't accept the EULA, you can return it for a refund prior to opening said software package. Mavic's already activated should not be forced to be re-activated to accept "new terms" unless DJI gives users who do not consent a way out, such as their money back.

But what they are trying to get away with is very shady business practices. Potentially unlawful.

Roll back FW to earlier version while you can.
Don't update DJIGo4 by not allowing it to operate when Internet is active - means not using maps.
Download Litchi - I'm not a Litchi fanboy but i will start using it if i require maps.
I am sick to death of constant updates!!!!!
I purchased my drones to enable me to take aerial videos, not to become a flying guinea pig or tech expert!!!!
DJI make excellent flying hardware but their management and programmers keep screwing things up for everyone!

Reactions: malepilot
Except of course they aren't requiring or forcing people to do the update, and if you don't do the update you don't need to re-activate...
They're riding on a fine line again, they don't explicitely require it directly but they know full well that 90% of people have their mobile devices set to auto-update apps, which does it for them. Also it will be required indirectly when at some point some things start breaking and you won't have a choice, or it will be required for new accessories like goggles or new mobile devices.

Either DJI does appropriate grandfathering in or they give option for those that accepting the new Terms to have their Mavic refunded.
I'm sure they'd accept any refund requests on that basis if the new terms were not accepted. But nobody will have the guts to do it anyway, so...

Roll back FW to earlier version while you can.
Don't update DJIGo4 by not allowing it to operate when Internet is active - means not using maps.
Download Litchi - I'm not a Litchi fanboy but i will start using it if i require maps.
I am sick to death of constant updates!!!!!
I purchased my drones to enable me to take aerial videos, not to become a flying guinea pig or tech expert!!!!
DJI make excellent flying hardware but their management and programmers keep screwing things up for everyone!

Not to mention their support is a joke.

They're riding on a fine line again, they don't explicitely require it directly but they know full well that 90% of people have their mobile devices set to auto-update apps, which does it for them. Also it will be required indirectly when at some point some things start breaking and you won't have a choice, or it will be required for new accessories like goggles or new mobile devices.

I'm fine as long as there isn't a silent counter in the firmware that will ground the Mavic at some point in time until and unless the user upgrades firmware and app to the "new one".
I agree with what you are stating, but from a strictly legal perspective as long as DJI makes it practically possible to avoid upgrading, then they have covered themselves. But if there is anything like a hardcoded expiration date of current firmware then opps... DJI will be facing a potential legal action if that is the case.

That said, it was something that we could see coming considering the amount of idiots that don't follow any rule.

Sad but true, it has been told so many times

I'm sure they'd accept any refund requests on that basis if the new terms were not accepted. But nobody will have the guts to do it anyway, so...

Someone should test them on this offer just to see if precedent can be set.
My guess is they aren't going to be happy with opening the flood doors to potentially refunded in mass. Anyone who them wanted a refund for whatever reason (even if they got bored of flying) could just then claim, "it was because I didn't want to be forced to upgrade".

Reactions: Vilco
What the hell are people getting bent out of shape over

There are no additional restrictions with the new app

There are no changes to Geo or the NFZ system.

You do not have to update it is NOT mandatory.

IF you update all you have to do is reactive then your drone will work just as it did before.

The ONLY time restrictions come in is if you update the fw that's coming next week with out installing the new app and reactivating.

Once you deactivate then everything is normal.

Reactions: Nikon1
What do you suppose gives DJI the legal 'right' to handicap the Mavic of customers post-sales , retroactively and after the fact, without consent and without legal justification (ie Go Pro Karma recall)
If DJI prioritizes appeasing governments or safety in the name of self preservation then so be it, but if it wants to handicap units already sold, then DJI has the obligation to at least give a partial / pro-rated if not full refund for those customers whom demand /request to be given the option to return their units and get their money back, since the product they got effectively was or had become materially different from what was represented to them at the time of purchase.

Sorry but no matter how DJI spins it, they can't have it both ways. Either DJI screwed up back then when the Mavic was on the drawing boards or DJI screwed up now, but why is the consumer subsidizing for DJI's mistake by getting less than what they paid for? Why is DJI allowed to effectively use tactics that could be construed as anti-competitive (artificially reducing battery safety margins to give better flight times against competitors on specs to publicize themselves to market, but then push out firmware updates to cap the battery usable levels after the fact, in the name of safety and the banner of security, without updating the true effectively flight time to reflect the change, etc) when they have ulterior motives and vested interests (increasing DJI Care profit margins for being more and more conservative in flight envelopes anyone?!) .... either way I don't see how this is anything but 'evil'.

Exactly!!

What the **** are people getting bent out of shape over

IF you update all you have to do is reactive then your drone will work just as it did before.

The ONLY time restrictions come in is if you update the fw that's coming next week with out installing the new app and reactivating.

There you go, being reasonable again :)

I have seen only one valid concern in this entire thread, and that is the potential for there to be changed terms in the EULA that people are going to be signing when they re-activate their aircraft.

So when the new release occurs, a quick comparison should highlight any material alterations, although frankly I'm not expecting anything major or concerning in there...

I think your missing the point. What this update demonstrates is that DJI has put code into your Mavic that forces you to update to whatever firmware version they release or your drone is limited to a 50M flying radius. One user has already posted that his Mavic was grounded because he was unable to re-register his Mavic!

I believe your thought process is that this is a one time deal and that going forward they will not use this again. I agree registration is probably a one time event but not forced updates.

A top DJI manager made a statement that backs your claim that we are all going overboard and updates will not be mandatory. Oddly enough his statement have been removed from every website that carried it.

You are really living in a happy world if you think DJI will not use this option whenever they want to. I would bet that If they can peaceably get through this first forced registration and App update they are certainly not going to stop there.

Reactions: Forrest
I blame Donald Trump

Yes, but Mavic was never pitched as "drone rental as a service"
DJI also never stated to prospective customers that DJI Go app would be a requirement to fly. In fact in all its advertising and press it said that customers can fly with only the remote controller if they wished.

DJI is treating the Mavic like it is leased software. I think they will soon find out that American and EU judges will not see it that way. I am ready to join whatever class action lawsuit arises should they actually force updates on US citizens.

Rob

Reactions: Merky1761
I think your missing the point. What this update demonstrates is that DJI has put code into your Mavic that forces you to update to whatever firmware version they release or your drone is limited to a 50M flying radius. One user has already posted that his Mavic was grounded because he was unable to re-register his Mavic!

I believe your thought process is that this is a one time deal and that going forward they will not use this again. I agree registration is probably a one time event but not forced updates.

A top DJI manager made a statement that backs your claim that we are all going overboard and updates will not be mandatory. Oddly enough his statement have been removed from every website that carried it.

You are really living in a happy world if you think DJI will not use this option whenever they want to. I would bet that If they can peaceably get through this first forced registration and App update they are certainly not going to stop there.

Screenshot has been found:

Note the guy is not just a top DJI head, he is DJI's top attorney!

hcA2Hl3.png

I agree. Seems like people are upset up future updates/ firmware yet no info has been published as to how the updates/firmware will affect anyone. People need to wait and see what before jumping to any conclusions.

Reactions: Clinton1 and Nikon1
I agree. Seems like people are upset up future updates/ firmware yet no info has been published as to how the updates/firmware will affect anyone. People need to wait and see what before jumping to any conclusions.

What will happen is unknown at this point only because DJI has a typical Chinese company mentality and assumed that they could force this on people and no one would say anything. If you have ever dealt with the Chinese you would know that the phrase "Resistance is Futile" originated in China and was borrowed by the Borg!

Their intent was made very clear at the start and we already have one user who was locked out to the 50M range because he did not re-register.

At this point I am sure DJI's top management and legal team are meeting up and trying to figure out if this is going to work or not. So yes it is up in the air until Tuesday.

I just hope that if they do start going down this road on Tuesday that the people who attend the show on the 24th in New York let them know loud and clear how they feel.

Rob

Thanks for clarifying that. It sure makes it a lot more annoying that they want to farther restrict our flying. Makes me want another company to step up and compete more with DJI that would not restrict your flying. I just can't believe how strictly regulated this hobby is becoming. I mean model aircraft with fpv capabilities have existed for many years and nothing was done about it.
I am still on firmware ver 400 and an older version of DJI GO 4. What happens if I don't upgrade?

Here is what a user posted in the DJI MAVIC PRO OWNERS SECTION ON Facebook

"Upcoming UPDATE Explained: There is a surprising amount of panic about the upcoming update. Here is what it really means. Next time you update the DJI Go app, it will ask you to sign in into your DJI account on the app. You will have to do so only ONCE, NOT every time you fly.

Here is the reason behind it: When you buy the Mavic, you have to activate it. When you activate it, DJI stores a record of the serial number of the Mavic and associates it with your account on their servers. Under the old system you only had to activate it once. So, let’s say you buy a Mavic, activate it, fly for a while, and than sell it to someone else. It is still activated under your name, and if the next owner does something bad with it, and the authorities come to DJI and ask “who owns that drone,” DJI would give them your name.

Under the new system the drone is activated against the app at the time of the flight, and if there is a drone-app login mismatch, than you need data connection to reactivate it. The end result is, if your sell the Mavic, the next owner would have to activate it under their own name. That’s ALL.

The sky isn’t falling, and you can put down your pitchforks. The reason they warned you is because many people do a firmware update in the field, and this update will have to be done with a data connection available. But again, ONLY when you are updating the firmware or the app, NOT every time."

"Upcoming UPDATE Explained: There is a surprising amount of panic about the upcoming update. Here is what it really means. Next time you update the DJI Go app, it will ask you to sign in into your DJI account on the app. You will have to do so only ONCE, NOT every time you fly.

Here is the reason behind it: When you buy the Mavic, you have to activate it. When you activate it, DJI stores a record of the serial number of the Mavic and associates it with your account on their servers. Under the old system you only had to activate it once. So, let’s say you buy a Mavic, activate it, fly for a while, and than sell it to someone else. It is still activated under your name, and if the next owner does something bad with it, and the authorities come to DJI and ask “who owns that drone,” DJI would give them your name.

Under the new system the drone is activated against the app at the time of the flight, and if there is a drone-app login mismatch, than you need data connection to reactivate it. The end result is, if your sell the Mavic, the next owner would have to activate it under their own name. That’s ALL.

The sky isn’t falling, and you can put down your pitchforks. The reason they warned you is because many people do a firmware update in the field, and this update will have to be done with a data connection available. But again, ONLY when you are updating the firmware or the app, NOT every time."

Keep in mind that as you stated "Here is what a user posted in the DJI MAVIC PRO OWNERS SECTION ON Facebook".

So that is one persons interpretation of what it all means!

I have dealt with Chinese companies for about 18 Years. I fully understand the way they operate when dealing with foreign countries and companies. So I can absolutely believe that they may indeed scale this back due to the backlash. I am in wait and see mode!

When the next week arrives I will see what happens. Then as the weeks and months pass we will all see if this goes further. Trust but Verify is a wise phrase to use when dealing with a Chinese company. I do not say that out of any kind of Racism, I actually like a lot of things about the people and their culture, but even a person from China will tell you that the powerful over their will dish out whatever they feel they can get away with and the people never do anything to stop them.

BTW here is a sad video that shows exactly what it is like in China. I actually experienced this myself when a mans wife was being chased by two men. Incredibly the family locked her out of the house when she could not run fast enough to make it to her front door. I started to approach them from across the street and they ran away.

When I came across this video a few weeks ago it bought back a lot of memories.

I am sorry that this is off topic.

Rob

All very well, BUT I do not want to update to the new Go4 or firmware until they fix the issues around Android crashes, if they did... I would be more than happy to do this, but, I bet you they have not... it's simple. I will do anything I can not to update until I can be sure I can fly without issues.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi