DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

firmware .800 Flight restrictions

Just read the change log:
Fixed wing mode, added gimbal control in fixed wing, improved hovering and RTH performance, better gimbal calibration, double remote control, etc.

I know that some will say they don't need anything of this. Fine.
Those above (and more in the change logs) are just the bare facts. Everyone can make his own decision.

Thank you

Fixed wing mode is a novelty item and not used by most people.

Improved hovering and RTH are a joke! My mavic can land within 2" of take off point from a 3000ft RTH.

Hovering has always been rock solid on 400. In later versions I notice a lot of altitude deviation.

Which brings us to the meat of the problem.
Almost every firmware since they went past 400 has been a fix for the bugs introduced In the previous version. 500 was bad 550 was worst. 600 attempted to fix bugs in the 500 series and ended up needing 700 to finally get things back on track. Now 800 comes out and we read posts full of problems again. All of this happens while security tightens and DJI gains more control.

Rob

Me for myself I don't read posts full of problems with .800
Except the usual things like settings changed...

Nor do I. Apart from this thread, there is scarcely a mention of .800 in the first page of Mavic Pro Discussion topics or the Help topics, now that the usual firmware update hubris has died down.
Off to do some Novelty fixed wing mode inspecting of my farm. It is nice now with the gimbal control.

800 asks you to nfz zone update prompt each time you are in a new area, so you better have internet connection on your phone and you better not use a table, and don't you dare go somewhere remote as it won't let you fly without limitation...

Let them update, and then ignore the complaints that shower in every other thread

Reactions: reckless and mpa
800 asks you to nfz zone update prompt each time you are in a new area, so you better have internet connection on your phone and you better not use a table, and don't you dare go somewhere remote as it won't let you fly without limitation...

Let them update, and then ignore the complaints that shower in every other thread

Like you, I like to fly my Mavic in the backcountry a long way from any network connection. Because of your experiences, I haven't updated, yet. I'm curious, though, why no one else has reported similar problems? Is it rare for flyers to go to remote locations far from home, or is it possible that something was wrong with your update? I wish there were others who have updated and then driven several hours from home and tried to fly without an internet connection so that we could have more data points.

This pole merely shows a flag.
images

However there is a Poll running over at the DJI forums Mavic showing firmware use.
View attachment 15163
As you can see the vast majority are using the latest firmware.
Keep in mind many of those who dogmatically remain with .0400 have not even used .0800 and do not speak from direct experience with it. Whilst they suppose the other 80% of users are in a world of grief. Go figure.

do whats right for yourself, dont join the sheeple

i agree with you all the way! you are not naive at all man! lol.

Reactions: NaiveFlight
If you have GEO disabled on Go4, authorization zones will be treated as NFZ. Once you enable GEO, you should be able to self-authorize.

Tried unlocking with GEO on and off and still no-go. Also tried downgrading to 700 which worked fine before but as I suspected it does not fix the problem. I suspect the problem lies within the "Update NFZ" part of the update, which apparently does not revert when the firmware is downgraded. I did notify DJI of the details so maybe they can correct it. Until then, I am grounded unless I travel. Thanks for the suggestions!

@bas4241, I'm with you in spirit brother. This would be very frustrating, verging on infuriating.

However, if you are supposed to be able to fly where you are, in a yellow zone, DJI will fix it. While it's no excuse, it is a not unexpected reality that any new system like this that they roll out will have some bugs. You, my friend, are an unfortunate victim.

Clearly it's not doing what DJI intends for it to do, so they'll fix it. Keep working with them, politely and professionally keep up the pressure, and they'll straighten it out. You're not being restricted on purpose, but in error.

Reactions: bas4241
@bas4241, I'm with you in spirit brother. This would be very frustrating, verging on infuriating.

However, if you are supposed to be able to fly where you are, in a yellow zone, DJI will fix it. While it's no excuse, it is a not unexpected reality that any new system like this that they roll out will have some bugs. You, my friend, are an unfortunate victim.

Clearly it's not doing what DJI intends for it to do, so they'll fix it. Keep working with them, politely and professionally keep up the pressure, and they'll straighten it out. You're not being restricted on purpose, but in error.

Thanks, I will work with them. So far no response. Luckily I have some location options available that are not too far away. Thanks again!

@bas4241it is a not unexpected reality that any new system like this that they roll out will have some bugs. You, my friend, are an unfortunate victim.

That's not a bug, that's a complete design flaw. Failing to roll back the firmware completely is a design flaw. It also shows a complete lack of QA processes on DJI's end. They're pushing out code without any real-world user acceptance testing, clearly.

The idea that they want you to 'fly safe' while also keeping you from flying in some of the safest areas (remote locations) is kinda hilarious, in a sad way.

Update.
There is a vocal minority of around 10% who are passionate about v01.03.0400 and make 90% of the noise.. The rest of us have moved on to v01.03.0800 and have had few issues having done so.
"Few issues" hahaha.

Like you, I like to fly my Mavic in the backcountry a long way from any network connection. Because of your experiences, I haven't updated, yet. I'm curious, though, why no one else has reported similar problems? Is it rare for flyers to go to remote locations far from home, or is it possible that something was wrong with your update? I wish there were others who have updated and then driven several hours from home and tried to fly without an internet connection so that we could have more data points.

Count the threads about problems with 800,

Why not update yourself. Give a shot.

But ask yourself this. Why is there a downgrade to 400 thread (probably most popular thread here)?

If it isn't broken don't fix it.

But go ahead, update, and I'll see you in the *downgrade to 400* thread,
See you there

You must not be looking very hard.

The NFZ problems alone have a thread for itself.
People are having drones suddenly landing into water, Drones not taking off in peoples own back yards when they use to before the update.

People traveling 35 miles and no longer able to fly because they have no internet connection.

Constant need for NFZ update patches as you change location.

Then we have the 5D button issue with the Zoom no longer working.

The Constant spinning when Yawing with the goggles bug with .800

The goggle screen size being shrunk by a bug in .800

Braking less responsive, Sports mode less responsive (and these are not setting issues)
This has been an ongoing problem since .500

On the other hand the only thing the user has gained with .800 over .400 is the Fixed wing mode.

DJI is feeding you a load of BS about better RTH and Hover. Almost all users with .400 have had perfect hover and RTH. It was only in subsequent updates that like 500 and 550 that they kept breaking the Hover code and then fixing it again in the next update. RTH has always been solid and if DJI can some how improve a 2" landing accuracy from 3000ft it really does not matter. Not that I ever believed it.

Rob

Last edited:
You must not be looking very hard.

The NFZ problems alone have a thread for itself.
People are having drones suddenly landing into water, Drones not taking off in peoples own back yards when they use to before the update.

People traveling 35 miles and no longer being able to fly because they have no internet connection.

Constant need for NFZ update patches as you change location.

Then we have the 5D button issue with the Zoom no longer working.

The Constant spinning when Yawing with the goggles bug with .800

The goggle screen size being shrunk by a bug in .800

Braking less responsive, Sports mode less responsive (and these are not setting issues)
This has been an ongoing problem since .500

On the other hand the only thing the user has gained with .800 over .400 is the Fixed wing mode.

DJI is feeding you a load of BS about better RTH and Hover. Almost all users with .400 have had perfect hover and RTH. It was only in subsequent updates that like 500 and 550 that they kept breaking the Hover code and then fixing it again in the next update. RTH has always been solid and if DJI can some how improve a 2" landing accuracy from 3000ft it really does not matter. Not that I ever believed it.

Rob

Wow! More problems than ever!

So I have just relocated 110 miles over night to a location with no internet connection. How is it I can fly here just fine using .800 ? No NFZ issues here. But wait I am actually using .800 and speaking from first hand experience.

So I have just relocated 110 miles over night to a location with no internet connection. How is it I can fly here just fine using .800 ? No NFZ issues here. But wait I am actually using .800 and speaking from first hand experience.

And are you talking the 30M high 50M distant kind of flying?;)
If your talking regular flight that has not been the experience of most users, they are reporting driving out several miles and being beginner mode and limited unless they get an NFZ map update.

There is absolutely nothing more embarrassing than gathering up a group of people for an event and then having the equipment malfunction. Most of my flying locations have no cell phone service and even if they did I have no doubt that .800 would declare them an NFZ due to an airfield that was once there in 1945:rolleyes:

It comes down to a really simple thing. You have to worry about NFZ problems. Will it happen on this trip or will everything be fine. With 400 I don't have to worry! My Mavic always fly's perfectly.

Rob

Reactions: NaiveFlight
Rob, seriously mate, you need to move away from DJI chief, it's causing you too much vexation! Must admit I've moved from .800 back to .700 now due to a bit of erratic behaviour no an NFZ recently, but you do have a habit of being almost completely negative, and some of it is scaring people unnecessarily. Get a Typhoon or something before you give yourself an aneurism [emoji12]

Reactions: Logger
Rob, seriously mate, you need to move away from DJI chief, it's causing you too much vexation! Must admit I've moved from .800 back to .700 now due to a bit of erratic behaviour no an NFZ recently, but you do have a habit of being almost completely negative, and some of it is scaring people unnecessarily. Get a Typhoon or something before you give yourself an aneurism [emoji12]

And you moved away from .800 to .700 and yet you think its fine for people to be promoting .800 even though it has problems you are avoidingo_O. I never came into these upgrade threads until I was alerted by the Chinese Beta testers about what was happening. Sorry if you feel it's being negative. it's being realistic IMO in pointing out where this thing is and where its headed.

And no I don't need a Typhoon. My Mavic flies fine on .400

Rob

And you moved away from .800 to .700 and yet you think its fine for people to be promoting .800 even though it has problems you are avoidingo_O. I never came into these upgrade threads until I was alerted by the Chinese Beta testers about what was happening. Sorry if you feel it's being negative. it's being realistic IMO in pointing out where this thing is and where its headed.

And no I don't need a Typhoon. My Mavic flies fine on .400

Rob

''Tis true I did Rob, and that was because I found the NFZ calculation a bit over stringent, causing my girl to start behaving strangely. I was about a mile away from the edge of an NFZ at a UK based class B airport. I didn't get that before, so I downgraded as I didn't want the inconvenience.
However, I'd flown with .800 approx 10 times before though without any problems whatsoever. And this BS about having to have a constant connection to the internet is exactly that, pure BS.

Reactions: Robbyg
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead