DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Forced GO 4 update in a week?

They don't make it clear if this will enforce updating to latest firmware and app - or be so restricted as to make it almost unusable.
Howls of protest will ensue.
With good reason, it seems like you don't really own your Mavic if they can control and modify it like this.

It's quite worrying to be honest. I understand where they're coming from, but it is like giving your car an update that disables speeds higher than your local speed limit... I wouldn't like that either.

It's quite worrying to be honest. I understand where they're coming from, but it is like giving your car an update that disables speeds higher than your local speed limit... I wouldn't like that either.
Or a phone an update that prevents streaming to prevent overages. Not quite the same I know, but still.

Reactions: jwjonesjr
Sounds like the U.S. flyers may be limited to 400' from take off and line of sight . Hmmm

I wonder if 3rd party apps are affected ?

Reactions: MLR
Yes, what about third party apps? Regardless, on Android there's the option to stay with an older unaffected version of Litchi, and .400 firmware.

Last edited:
Sounds like the U.S. flyers may be limited to 400' from take off and line of sight . Hmmm

I wonder if 3rd party apps are affected ?
I do not believe this will affect us in These United States and many other countries much. I think it is to address certain isolated areas. According to the website third-party apps are not affected.
Edit: it used to state that on the website.

The only way this can be a "forced" update is if the app/firmware issued previously has a some sort of built in countdown to a future date which then limits functionality until new app/firmware is applied. This timer function may already have been present with date injected into the app when you receive the "activation notice" message. I think I may down rev my versions until I find out what the outcome of this is. Need to remember to turn off auto update for apps. I imagine this will probably pass without incident and that it's more of a tightening of details DJI hold and that they are up to date (a bit of an audit on where their products are being operated). There may even be a bug in the firmware allowing the Mavic to operate in parts of the EU (CAA) airspace without the 4.3 mile range attenuated to 2.5 miles and the update resolves geofencing of that? I'm sure that paranoia will fade until the next message pops up...

I consider it a parrot. I own a parrot for real, and a Mavic. I have 2 birds in my household.

It was in reference to using canaries in coal mines, if the canary died, you needed to GTF out of there!

ETA never mention parrot and Mavic in the same sentence, you'll hurt her feelings...

The last time there was an app update my app wouldn't work until it was updated but that may have been because I have it on automatic update and it was trying to update. If that makes sense to you. Having said that I wouldn't be afraid of this new app update. Most people probably won't notice anything or maybe even some improvements. But, hopefully they will limit the terrorists to only be able to drop bombs on themselves.

I am right there with you; with the weather in Wyoming firmware updates are some of the most fun I have.

The weather up here has been suboptimal. Either it was perfectly sunny but super windy, or it rained. We had a major thunderstorm last night and today the wind was ridiculous. My Mavic has been just sitting on the table waiting to fly. My batteries have probably begun discharging. I'm hoping my Goggles on the 23rd will make my day brighter.

The weather up here has been suboptimal. Either it was perfectly sunny but super windy, or it rained. We had a major thunderstorm last night and today the wind was ridiculous. My Mavic has been just sitting on the table waiting to fly. My batteries have probably begun discharging. I'm hoping my Goggles on the 23rd will make my day brighter.
At the very least you could plug your goggles into the simulator or your Blu-ray.

Reactions: Cyberpower678
This sentence is scary : "If this activation process is not performed, the aircraft will not have access to the correct geospatial information and flight functions for that region, and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware: Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high."

I live close to the French/Spanish border and I frequently fly over both countries. Moreover, I travel a lot and also use to fly in other countries (Italy, Greece, Turkey etc.). I'd like to make sure that if I "activate" from my present location (home, in France), I will not be limited to a 50m radius and to up to 30m when abroad... What is this mess ?

I believe this is probably related to preventing drone flights around airports in China. Drones are required to be registered with the China government from 1 June onwards due to the many drone flights around airports forcing the airports to shut down.

I received the message on my DJI Go 4 v4.0.3 when I turned it on today with a network connection just to check. The notice seemed to be pushed only once since it didn't appear again the 2nd time I turned on DJI Go 4. I normally fly without network connection, so I will continue doing so.

Worse case scenario is that DJI Go 4 will push a force update to the app once you start DJI Go 4 with network connection after they've released the new version and you will need to delete/re-install the old version of DJI Go 4 and never allow the app to connect to the internet again. This could also mean that the new app will also force you to update the Mavic's firmware to the latest version or it won't allow you to fly.

Luckily my Android phone is rooted, so I've now firewalled the DJI Go 4 app from all network connections and will not be affected by this. I suggest that anyone who wants to continue flying your Mavic with older firmware and DJI Go 4 app to disconnect your phone from the network before starting DJI Go 4 app or you could be forced to update the app and the firmware before you Mavic is allowed to fly again.

Yeah, this isn't good. Whether it affects the US are not, it's setting a precident for forced limited performance.
I don't like it.

It's one thing to have users not get new features or bug updates if they don't upgrade firmware, I get that. It's a whole 'nother deal to push controls out to perfectly functioning aircraft to ground or limit flight. Sucks. Did the aircraft come with a disclaimer when we bought it? "DJI reserves the right to restrict access to the drone you're buying whenever it deems necessary."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky