DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Forced GO 4 update in a week?

It's quite worrying to be honest. I understand where they're coming from, but it is like giving your car an update that disables speeds higher than your local speed limit... I wouldn't like that either.

Your analogy is a good one but I think 'increased automated restrictions' are inevitable.

Go back to your car analogy - imagine a country deciding that 'as they cant stop drivers, driving above the speed limit' they have decided to ban cars altogether. That is in effect what has happened in India where it is illegal to fly UAVs (or was when I last went there). They are concerned about national security especially around their borders. Now if drones werent physically able to flyover sensitive areas, they may well reconsider their ban.

I live in Thailand where the restrictions on drones are currently fairly lax. But honestly it would only take one incident of somebody doing something very stupid or nefarious with a drone for the government to ban drones or 'license them out of existence'. As drones become more and more capable and as more and more people own them, the chances of something bad happening increases exponentially.

Your analogy is a good one but I think 'increased automated restrictions' are inevitable.

Go back to your car analogy - imagine a country deciding that 'as they cant stop drivers, driving above the speed limit' they have decided to ban cars altogether. That is in effect what has happened in India where it is illegal to fly UAVs (or was when I last went there). They are concerned about national security especially around their borders. Now if drones werent physically able to flyover sensitive areas, they may well reconsider their ban.

I live in Thailand where the restrictions on drones are currently fairly lax. But honestly it would only take one incident of somebody doing something very stupid or nefarious with a drone for the government to ban drones or 'license them out of existence'. As drones become more and more capable and as more and more people own them, the chances of something bad happening increases exponentially.

Bet it's in response to this NFZ mod for Mavic Pro

Yeah, I guess you're right. Let's hope measures like these keeps it possible to fly our beloved Mavs Thumbswayup

I believe this is probably related to preventing drone flights around airports in China. Drones are required to be registered with the China government from 1 June onwards due to the many drone flights around airports forcing the airports to shut down.

I received the message on my DJI Go 4 v4.0.3 when I turned it on today with a network connection just to check. The notice seemed to be pushed only once since it didn't appear again the 2nd time I turned on DJI Go 4. I normally fly without network connection, so I will continue doing so.

Worse case scenario is that DJI Go 4 will push a force update to the app once you start DJI Go 4 with network connection after they've released the new version and you will need to delete/re-install the old version of DJI Go 4 and never allow the app to connect to the internet again. This could also mean that the new app will also force you to update the Mavic's firmware to the latest version or it won't allow you to fly.

Luckily my Android phone is rooted, so I've now firewalled the DJI Go 4 app from all network connections and will not be affected by this. I suggest that anyone who wants to continue flying your Mavic with older firmware and DJI Go 4 app to disconnect your phone from the network before starting DJI Go 4 app or you could be forced to update the app and the firmware before you Mavic is allowed to fly again.

Unless you know what the coding is going to do then you can't be certain that the app or firmware doesn't already have the countdown clock running. You can probably guess that an earlier version won't be affected, but again, without being a programmer or having inside knowledge of how this is going to work, there are no guarantees. It may have been in there from day one and if you have firewalled it BEFORE you see the mandatory update notice (I.e. you then never see it) you may be okay.

Point is that anyone who doesn't have the ability/means to do this is going to be forced to take an update even if they are quite happy with current version. Some folk are wary of upgrading even if the only reason is that new firmware may have a bug and prefer to wait until others have been more adventurous. In this case they'll not really have that choice. If DJI are using GEO location to implement local restrictions (which they did from day one on Mavic in CAA airspace) then it's not really a problem, especially if drones that can't comply with restrictions may be outlawed eventually in some countries.

DJI is also in a difficult position. On one hand they have to keep their product desirable (making it unusable in some regions is not something they would freely aspire to do) but on the other hand they need to avoid bad publicity and future draconian punitive legislation which affects sales.

Aghh Thailand best drone flying place in the world me thinks

Reactions: Carouge
They say next week but when next week are we gonna take the Mavic out and suddenly find we cant fly until updated etc. (i also wonder if the GEO off button will go missing now as well)

Users who do not upgrade can not fly more than 50 meters away and 30 meters high. The new app will limit the functions of the drone according to the country where you are

I use a tablet and the wifi is shutoff. So I don't think I will see it but I will stay tuned to this thread to see what happens to everyone's drone. Me myself I think it will be bad for the mavic owner

Give it a chance, try hold onto a little tender piece of hope [emoji3] ...condemned before it's even born, poor app upgrade never had a chance of a happy life [emoji3]

Reactions: HeavensAbove
Given the timing it seems that it is absolutely related to the June 1 change in China. If you look at the root cause of this, it is because too many people were flying close to airports in China. A cautionary tale for those on this site and others who flaunt the rules and then say that their actions will not cause harm to the rest of the community. Here is a case where the actions of a few have affected all of us across the globe. I think most of us have problems with some of the rules, but the way to tackle that is to work to get the rules changed, not just ignore them. I would not be surprised to see other countries force this kind of restriction as well.

One other question about this change. If the app loads restrictions based upon your home country, what happens when you take your drone to another country????

Reactions: Clinton1
One other question about this change. If the app loads restrictions based upon your home country, what happens when you take your drone to another country????

Yes, this is my main concern since I live close to the French/Spanish border (I fly as well in France and in Spain) and since I travel a lot, mainly inside European countries but also in Middle East countries).

I asked DJI about this point : no answer yet.

Thailand laws are rather strict for drones, just not enforced. Just thought I'd point that out for someone who's visited Thailand.

No message here - .400 FW and .4 app...
Never fly or turn on app with data or WiFi on. Just tried it - no problem here.

Reactions: Flycaster
No message here - .400 FW and .4 app...
Never fly or turn on app with data or WiFi on. Just tried it - no problem here.

If you turn on data or WiFi while DJI Go 4 is on, then you will get the message. I just tried it earlier... To prevent any issues with having connected to the DJI servers, I've reloaded my DJI Go 4 from a Titanium backup I did 1 week ago, so as far as my DJI Go 4 is concerned, it never saw the message, and therefore, any count-down or whatever DJI may have pushed from their server... I'll be keeping my DJI Go 4 isolated from now on... It may also be time to start using 3rd party apps such as Litchi...

Reactions: yd0nxx
Got the same message, apparently some changes are coming regarding DJi GEO. The aircraft will be restricted to a height of 30m and a radius of 50m, (allegedly), if the update and the sign in process is not performed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki