DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Forced GO 4 update in a week?

I just hope I dont have to redo any of my settings....so annoying!

DJI GEO System - Up-to-date Information On Where to Fly

With what aerial systems will DJI GEO work?

"For now, since the system will be available through an upgrade of our DJI GO app and product firmware, the new geofencing system will work with our Phantom 3 and Inspire 1 products and, we expect, our future generations of products."

What types of locations will be included?

"Our primary focus is on aviation safety and national security. DJI will include airports, prohibited and restricted airspace, national security sites, prisons, and power plants, among other locations. Additionally, when a user is connected to the internet, GEO will provide live guidance on temporary flight restrictions (TFRs) to inform users and help prevent inadvertent flight, including TFRs relating to forest fires, major league sporting events, and other changing conditions."

Not sure how to do it i got my mavic last nov and ive just updated it twice once because it was losing the signal and the second time because it was drifting to the right. At the moment i have no problems and it will fly as far as my p3p boosted with fpvlr

Reactions: Bijengum
I just hope that when they say this will happen "next week", they don't mean "first thing on Monday", because on Monday I'm going to be out in the desert flying my Mavic.

I just hope that when they say this will happen "next week", they don't mean "first thing on Monday", because on Monday I'm going to be out in the desert flying my Mavic.

Next week could be Sunday, if they are using Chinese time zone. Or technically, it could be TODAY in the US, since the week starts on Sunday, not Monday.

Given the timing it seems that it is absolutely related to the June 1 change in China. If you look at the root cause of this, it is because too many people were flying close to airports in China. A cautionary tale for those on this site and others who flaunt the rules and then say that their actions will not cause harm to the rest of the community. Here is a case where the actions of a few have affected all of us across the globe. I think most of us have problems with some of the rules, but the way to tackle that is to work to get the rules changed, not just ignore them. I would not be surprised to see other countries force this kind of restriction as well.

One other question about this change. If the app loads restrictions based upon your home country, what happens when you take your drone to another country????

Well I happen to be going to China at the end of next week, so I guess I will find out. I assume the NFZ (if DJI is introducing geofencing) will apply to any drone wherever it comes from.

I am more positive on these new rules. As I see it (especially in places like China) if drone manufacturers dont 'auto-restrict drones' countries are quite likely to ban them (or simply license them beyond most peoples reach. Obviously the US holds personal freedoms rather more sacrosanct than the much of the remains of the world but say restricting a drone from 'not' flying where it is 'not' supposed to fly is pretty much the equivalent of inventing a gun that wont allow you to shoot yourself in the foot.

(...)
I am more positive on these new rules. As I see it (especially in places like China) if drone manufacturers dont 'auto-restrict drones' countries are quite likely to ban them (or simply license them beyond most peoples reach. (...)

The problem is that there is already some countries (for example Sweden) where flying is almost completely forbidden right now.
What will be the fate that awaits a Swedish owner who upgrades his drone at home with the "right stuff" for Sweden (i.e. "No flight") who would like to fly over the nearby country of Denmark where this is allowed ?

One thing to keep in mind is that in the US time bombs in the code are forbidden. Precedence has been set on this years ago. I found out from my companies legal department when I was going to put them in to stop non-payment problems on capital equipment.

Of course there is always the enforcement reality of things. I already have a big mistrust with DJI (delivery, service, head tracking etc) and do not believe them, EVER. It's sad that a good product is made by such a dishonorable company.

There is a reason they do not let you download older versions of firmware so you can archive them. They may disappear or be modified at any moment.

Personally, I'm at .400 and staying there with any safeguard against updating I can come up with. Also may start using Litchi primarily.

I think I'm going to try and put my device in airplane mode or turn off my WiFi for home so it won't automatically connect. Because I believe if you already have the notification the bug has already been planted for you to do the update.

The flaw is you will probably still need to log-in on the newly loaded app.

No... Titanium Backup stores the app + data when it backs up the app, so a restore brings you back exactly the way it was when it was backed up, including all the data. As far as the app is concerned, I'm already logged in, and it has all my flights up to the time the app was backed up. This is different from uninstalling DJI Go 4 and reinstalling it from an apk.. However, Titanium Backup only works for phones that are rooted, so if you're android phone isn't rooted, then you can't use this method.

Well I happen to be going to China at the end of next week, so I guess I will find out. I assume the NFZ (if DJI is introducing geofencing) will apply to any drone wherever it comes from.

I am more positive on these new rules. As I see it (especially in places like China) if drone manufacturers dont 'auto-restrict drones' countries are quite likely to ban them (or simply license them beyond most peoples reach. Obviously the US holds personal freedoms rather more sacrosanct than the much of the remains of the world but say restricting a drone from 'not' flying where it is 'not' supposed to fly is pretty much the equivalent of inventing a gun that wont allow you to shoot yourself in the foot.

The expanded China NFZ already happened in .500 and onwards firmware... That was DJI's knee jerk reaction to pressure by the Chinese Government about drone intrusions at airports causing shut downs.... The old NFZ was a hard round 5KM around airports. The NFZ from .500 onwards is a hard oval 10KM with extensions up to 15KM at each end of the runway. Hope you're not going to be any where near an airport when you're in China...

So, which countries have the least restrictions to make my account come from there?

Mavic is specifically desirable as a travel drone, why do you have a 'home' geographical association on a travel drone?

I disagree with having firmware restrictions taking control away from the operator, who is the one on the hook anyway - but I don't see what benefit a home zone has if you ARE going to change capabilities, if I'm in Sweden it should be Swedish rules, in Australia give Australian and so on.

From a maintenance POV that seems like a massive pain too, since doing it properly requires constant changes as rules evolve, dealing with the inevitable bugs.... or is the DJI approach "to bad so sad... you're still buying our stuff"?

Reactions: tfrank48
May it be that country related limitations will be built in to our MPs so they "behave" accordingly to actual location?
I.e. if you register your Mavic in Poland where you can still fly here and there and move to Sweden for holidays - Mavic will act there as per Swedish regulations and let you use it only as... fancy handheld gimbal camera? And the same Mavic brought to China will start alarming beeping as soon as you even take it out of the case..? ;)

Gentleman, I honestly think there is little cause for concern. I think "Individuals profile" means DJI is going to be in bed with the government, if you are a person of interest your activities may be curtailed. In certain countries where DJI is in a liability, it will allow them to severely abridge operations of the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00