DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Forced GO 4 update in a week?

I'm curios to see what happens to the available firmware after this update. Will .400 disappear after this? Some people here seem to think that this new app upgrade will force you to upgrade the AC firmware. If that does happen, and .400 is still available then what happens if you try to downgrade back to .400? Will it just simply no longer work? If Dji is in the buisness of forcing upgrades that cause problems with perfectly functioning aircraft then they have just lost a customer of anything they produce in the future. I did notice that I do not get the message in the app when I put the phone into airplane mode before starting the app. I will make this a crucial step from now on untill I hear how this update went from others who are more brave than I am

The problem is that there is already some countries (for example Sweden) where flying is almost completely forbidden right now.
What will be the fate that awaits a Swedish owner who upgrades his drone at home with the "right stuff" for Sweden (i.e. "No flight") who would like to fly over the nearby country of Denmark where this is allowed ?

Flying is not forbidden in sweden. Max 120m height and max 500m line of sight. Flying with a camera is forbidden.

I hope DJI doesn´t turn of the camera in the firmware for us in Sweden. :(

Well it might be a nightmare for some but maybe this is the start of systems that will take away the fear that the general public have of drones flying around them by physically preventing the drones from doing things that cause problems for others. I think it might turn into a endless fight that could make using drones impractical. We'll see.

The general public will not know anyway about these limitations. For them, drones will be always something to be spied with while taking a shower or a topless sunbath :(

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Flying is not forbidden in sweden. Max 120m height and max 500m line of sight. Flying with a camera is forbidden.

Surely even if the firmware disables the camera you are still flying with a camera attached and therefore breaking the law. I would find it hard to believe that the law in Sweden has caveats which allow a camera to fly if it is GEO disabled - but could be wrong.

Flying without a camera, kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion, more difficult to navigate and as boring as driving a remote control car around a grassy field.

The general public will not know anyway about these limitations. For them, drones will be always something to be spied with while taking a shower or a topless sunbath :(

Exactly, what time of year do they hit the topless beaches in Sweden? Surely the climate takes care of Swedes going naked in public. BRRRRR!!!

Surely even if the firmware disables the camera you are still flying with a camera attached and therefore breaking the law. I would find it hard to believe that the law in Sweden has caveats which allow a camera to fly if it is GEO disabled - but could be wrong.

Flying without a camera, kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion, more difficult to navigate and as boring as driving a remote control car around a grassy field.

Right! Unfortunately it is like that. The first of august a new law will be in place wich allows recording again.

But this geolock thing is probably to make it harder for isis to use quads. It´s bad publicity that they are using phantoms.

Right! Unfortunately it is like that. The first of august a new law will be in place wich allows recording again.

But this geolock thing is probably to make it harder for isis to use quads. It´s bad publicity that they are using phantoms.

Have downgraded to .04 and no auto update on app either. Unless there's a countdown on the app I'm going to wait and see....

This is a law suit demand ! I live in a country with strict laws
50 m high 100 m distance
If my drone would be un usable I will not take silently
This is my drone, payed money for it as it is
We need to unit to a huge law suit

This is a law suit demand ! I live in a country with strict laws
50 m high 100 m distance
If my drone would be un usable I will not take silently
This is my drone, payed money for it as it is
We need to unit to a huge law suit

You could always represent yourself pro se, it is just a few hundred dollars filing fee, just like that guy that won against the FAA recently.

Reactions: Blades
Hmm, thanks for the info. Looks rather bad for some countries ... "as determined by your geographical location and user profile". In some countries flying a UAV is not allowed, we might find owners not able to use the Mavic anymore ???

Yeah, but what happens when it's our own country that it effects? When we purchase something from DJI we are at their mercy. We are being tracked and information is collected for "safety and accountability" (seems to be the theme nowadays). Spend thousands of dollars on a UAV from DJI and they can/will restrict when, where, and how you get to use it.

I'm starting to rethink how, and with who I make my purchases from from now on. If this becomes an industry standard, I, like many others, will simply ditch it all together.

I'm all for safety, but I believe the majority of people are smart enough to police themselves and act accordingly. And, for the few that aren't, they will eventually get caught.

Government is already way too involved in our lives. Now, DJI wants to bend over backwards and help them do it.

They don't make it clear if this will enforce updating to latest firmware and app - or be so restricted as to make it almost unusable.
Howls of protest will ensue.
With good reason, it seems like you don't really own your Mavic if they can control and modify it like this.

Yes!! You nailed it!!

Reactions: bagotfish
Your analogy is a good one but I think 'increased automated restrictions' are inevitable.

Go back to your car analogy - imagine a country deciding that 'as they cant stop drivers, driving above the speed limit' they have decided to ban cars altogether. That is in effect what has happened in India where it is illegal to fly UAVs (or was when I last went there). They are concerned about national security especially around their borders. Now if drones werent physically able to flyover sensitive areas, they may well reconsider their ban.

I live in Thailand where the restrictions on drones are currently fairly lax. But honestly it would only take one incident of somebody doing something very stupid or nefarious with a drone for the government to ban drones or 'license them out of existence'. As drones become more and more capable and as more and more people own them, the chances of something bad happening increases exponentially.

I understand what you're saying, but that's when the people vote out the government leaders instead of constantly being fearful of governmental bans.

I look at it the way things were intended to be, by not letting the actions of a few dictate or restrict the freedoms of everyone else.

In democratic countries the citizens control government not the other way around.

Last edited:
Yeah, but what happens when it's our own country that it effects? When we purchase something from DJI we are at their mercy. We are being tracked and information is collected for "safety and accountability" (seems to be the theme nowadays). Spend thousands of dollars on a UAV from DJI and they can/will restrict when, where, and how you get to use it.

I'm starting to rethink how, and with who I make my purchases from from now on. If this becomes an industry standard, I, like many others, will simply ditch it all together.

I'm all for safety, but I believe the majority of people are smart enough to police themselves and act accordingly. And, for the few that aren't, they will eventually get caught.

Government is already way too involved in our lives. Now, DJI wants to bend over backwards and help them do it.

My legal analysis here:
Does anyone can find post with link to screenshot DJI legal stating upgrade optional and that suasne

In democratic countries the citizens control government not the other way around.
I don't know that populations vote in the right govts, or that govts are always representative of the people.

Besides, as if the general public care about drone pilots being restricted and vote accordingly

If this restricts you to the laws of the country then I guess all the law breakers here will Abey the law...

I am curious.

Is it forbidden to fly with a camera or just to make aerial imagery?

If it is the former, how can the Mavic be used?

MK

Just received this:

"Dear Customers,

DJI will soon introduce a new application activation process for international customers. This new step, to take effect at the end of this week, ensures you will use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for your aircraft, as determined by your geographical location and user profile. All existing flight safety limitations, such as geofencing boundaries and altitude limits, remain the same.

Even if you have registered when activating your aircraft upon purchase, you will have to log in once when you update the new version of DJI GO or GO 4 App. If you have forgotten your password since your initial login, you can reset it using a function within the DJI GO and DJI GO 4 apps.

You will need a data connection to the Internet for your smartphone or tablet when you log in, in order to verify the account information and activate the updated software or firmware. If this activation process is not performed, the aircraft will not have access to the correct geospatial information and flight functions for that region, and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware: Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high.

The feature applies to all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware or when using future versions of the DJI GO and GO 4 apps.

DJI encourages pilots to always follow applicable laws and regulations in the countries where they operate, and provides information about these regulations on its FlySafe website at flysafe.dji.com.

Sincerely,

Your DJI Team"

I find it lovely that they are arrogant enough as to not explain why.

"Hey, here's a hoop for you. Just jump!"

MK

Reactions: KiterTodd
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi